+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By amace
  • 1 Post By Talila

Thread: US to EU character transfers!

Default US to EU character transfers!

Title says it all. Started playing rift on US servers to play with friends and family (live in UK). But most people I know have now left, So i now have lvl50 toons that i cant do anything with. Mostly due to the time difference (11pm here, 3pm there) So unless people on the US servers start doing morning raids i will never get to raid.

p.s Been on rift nearly a year and never raided.

From a technical side, I can see why this would be a lot harder to actually make happen.

Aside from that, it would be a nice thing if they had an option for this. Not only for situations like yours, but also for people who move to a different country.

Here is how transfers work in this game. Shards are essentially on the same giant server which is broken down via process rather than geography (most MMO's split up via geography). The shards are esentially artifiacts created to keep the game populations in balance with the size of the world and processing resources are then prioritized between shars based on popluation.

Because of this th shard transfer in the US is instant, largely because all you are doing is changing the identifier that says "load Character Bob to shard A" to "Load character Bob to Shard B". the Data never actually moves.

To have the characters move from NA to EU or vice versa they would need to create the mechanism to do so out of whole cloth. Not something that is likely high on their list of priorities as this would require an investment in time for the coding and the band width to transfer the data.
    Last edited by Galibier; 09-24-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Soulwalker

I'd really like to see this happen.
    Living in Japan now, there's no one up when i am :/

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

I really would not like to see cross-region shards happen, the EU shards as it is are at times struggling with the population numbers and I feel that opening up another way of migrating would only make it worse - in the end forcing people to make the shift to play with their friends, on a shard that's mostly active in the middle of the night (and has a bit of an increase in latency).
    I get that rerolling is annoying, but in comparison to some of the risks that could come with it, I'd rather encourage rerolling :/ You can get a character to at least 50 fairly easily now, and as the expansion is still new and all now is probably far better - as opposed to later on where there'd be a lot of precious dungeon currency attached to your characters.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Ascendant

though pings (for me) on us shards are really terrible, like in the 250ms area, whereas on the european cluster i have 15-30ms.

i agree opening eu -> us transfer would bring A LOT of problems to the eu shards, as people tend to rush to the highest pop server and leave the eu cluster even more empty. an all those high latency people on us cluster will bring many problems there too ...
    Last edited by Antigonos; 01-01-2013 at 02:51 AM.

I lost a level 50 toon when I moved back to Europe too....maybe one day I'll get him back.

+ Reply to Thread