+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Get your combat log out of My Documents.

Shadowlander

Default Get your combat log out of My Documents.

Trion,

I love your game, and am especially fond of the amount of time your GM's spend interacting with the player base. However, the change that moved the combat log out of the Rift folder (which I have stored on a separate drive) and forcibly placed it into My Documents folder, is rubbing me the wrong way. First, I don't want all that crap on my SSD. Second, this is a large file that constantly updates. I can't imagine how annoyed my antivirus program is with this change. I have allocated a certain space on my machine for games. Please, put the log files back where they belong...in the Rift folder.
    Last edited by Hayes; 09-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Good point. Question: If you manually move the file back to the Rift folder does it automatically ignore that and create an entirely new file in My_Documents?

I don't ever look at combat log myself since I know when I'm in combat or not and when I'm not I don't ususally reminisce about the times I was but restricting how a player stores game files on their own machine should be a huge no-no in today's gaming world. Or am I missing something?

/bump

I always hated it when Window's programs started using .DLL's and placing its files in various places around your machine. I will never understand how that became common practice. It was much simpler when a program used its own directory and kept all its files in that directory or a sub-directory... But alas that is the past, programers now a days want to make it cryptic to uninstall a program and even the uninstallers for these programs leave files laying around all over the machine. It so defeats the initial purpose of saving storage space that originally was the desire to have all programs use common .DLL's that could all be stored in one directory and shared.

And now we have the MY DOCUMENT folder which is intended to keep all your documents in on place instead of in each programs' sub-directories or where we tell that program to store it. So many little things that programmers decide we want to make things simpler that were just fine the way they were and only causes stress by introducing change that was unwarranted and unwanted in the first place. There is no telling what unintended uses will plaque this directory so as to defeat its initial purpose and complicate it just as the purpose of using common .DLLs was complicated and defeated.

In other words I would agree with you that the files should not have moved but now that they are moved it would make no sense to move them back.
    Last edited by aabuster1; 09-15-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Champion of Telara

I'm annoyed at this as well. I would be lying if I said I didn't see it coming. They moved screenshots there a while ago so it was obvious this would be next. So now I don't take SS/Videos via the game's controls and need a 3rd party capture program so I don't jam up my C drive SSD.

It's also slows the system down as windows automatically indexes your files in your home directory. I wonder if/how they reindex when the log file changes. I keep all my games on a completely separate drive and it's getting worse and worse as more and more games are using crap in your user directory to store stuff like this, logs, screenshot and especially saves. I like it so much better when games (and programs) won't litter up your system with crap in different places and rather they kept everything pertaining to itself in their own directory.

I agree. Please put it back to the rift directory if you could. That or put in a configuration setting so we can choose where.

Plane Touched

I agree.

Moving the Combatlog to mydocuments is a poor solution. Please give us the capability in the rift.cfg file to change where the Combatlog, Movies and Screenshots are stored.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    jlu
    Rift Team

Hi everyone,

The reason we decided to move out the combat log to My Documents along with screenshots and movies was to comply with Windows guidelines that discourage writing user files to the game folder. There are certain scenarios where writing these files to the RIFT folder can be a problem (e.g. multiple user accounts running the game from the same directory overwriting each other, or running the game under a limited account with no write permissions to the RIFT folder).

However, you bring up a good point regarding the need to control where these files are stored so that they don't fill up your main drives, which is especially important when you're using an SSD. Since that's a very reasonable request, I just added a new option to rift.cfg that you can use for this purpose:

DocumentsDirectory = path to your desired folder (or . to use the game folder as before)

This will be available on the next hotfix. Until then, you can use junctions or symbolic links as I explain on this thread.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for the feedback!

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Very nice to see this addition to the rift.cfg file. However, what category would this new variable be set as? The [Client] section, I assume?

While we are on the subject of rift.cfg, is there some variable for auto-enabling the Non-combatlog? There's been numerous times when i have addons being debugged, i forget to have the /log enabled.
    --BC

9.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    jlu
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    Very nice to see this addition to the rift.cfg file. However, what category would this new variable be set as? The [Client] section, I assume?

While we are on the subject of rift.cfg, is there some variable for auto-enabling the Non-combatlog? There's been numerous times when i have addons being debugged, i forget to have the /log enabled.
    Yes, it's in the [Client] section. You'll see it appear automatically on the next hotfix.

And I'm not aware of any option to auto-enable the chat log.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    Trion,

I love your game, and am especially fond of the amount of time your GM's spend interacting with the player base. However, the change that moved the combat log out of the Rift folder (which I have stored on a separate drive) and forcibly placed it into My Documents folder, is rubbing me the wrong way. First, I don't want all that crap on my SSD. Second, this is a large file that constantly updates. I can't imagine how annoyed my antivirus program is with this change. I have allocated a certain space on my machine for games. Please, put the log files back where they belong...in the Rift folder.
    Wait... you have your documents folder on your SSD? The place where windows writes around all the time saving temporary copies to etc.?

I have a SSD too and the whole user folders are on my plate drive. Rift is obviously on the SSD so it can take advantage of it and it bugged me that the combat log was there too, so obviously I am against your request.

Glad you can chose it now, though, so both our SSD shall prosper for a long time to come ;)

Woah... talk about a quick fix... I'm staggered, I was expecting something more along the lines of "we'll look into it" and 6 months later its mentioned in the patch notes after a dozen meetings and feasibilities studies.

Must be nice working for a company that actually lets you fix things without mountains of paperwork.

~ Nativus, 50, Mage ~ Vates, 50, Cleric ~ Gladius, 50, Warrior ~

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by jlu View Post
    However, you bring up a good point regarding the need to control where these files are stored so that they don't fill up your main drives, which is especially important when you're using an SSD. Since that's a very reasonable request, I just added a new option to rift.cfg that you can use for this purpose:

DocumentsDirectory = path to your desired folder (or . to use the game folder as before)
    jlu,

Thank you very much for a quick and appropriate fix. Keep up the good work!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by jlu View Post
    Hi everyone,

The reason we decided to move out the combat log to My Documents along with screenshots and movies was to comply with Windows guidelines that discourage writing user files to the game folder. There are certain scenarios where writing these files to the RIFT folder can be a problem (e.g. multiple user accounts running the game from the same directory overwriting each other, or running the game under a limited account with no write permissions to the RIFT folder).

This will be available on the next hotfix. Until then, you can use junctions or symbolic links as I explain on this thread.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for the feedback!

You people are fantastic. Thank you so much for such a speedy reply and an upcoming fix.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarb View Post
    Wait... you have your documents folder on your SSD? The place where windows writes around all the time saving temporary copies to etc.?

I have a SSD too and the whole user folders are on my plate drive. Rift is obviously on the SSD so it can take advantage of it and it bugged me that the combat log was there too, so obviously I am against your request.

Glad you can chose it now, though, so both our SSD shall prosper for a long time to come ;)
    Yeah, I was a little puzzled by that too. If your profiles are stored on your SSD, then all programs are writing all kinds of temporary data there constantly. If anyone was concerned about decreasing the lifespan of their SSD by data being written there, why on earth wouldn't they have already moved their user profiles directory off the SSD in the first place?

And for the guy complaining about his virus scanner scanning his documents and wanting instead to only write the file where it can't be written at all if you're following basic security practices and running everything under a limited user account is just as baffling.

Well, at least with the config changes everyone can be happy. Those using SSDs to speed up their games, and those wanting to use SSDs to temporarily speed up accessing temporary files without affecting their games' loading speed.
    Last edited by ElNinja; 09-15-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks JLU for responding in such a timely manner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast