+ Reply to Thread

Thread: With Storm Legion, make closing rifts in one of the new areas matter

Rift Chaser

Default With Storm Legion, make closing rifts in one of the new areas matter

While I am certainly not the first person to mention this, the issue needs to be kept at the forefront; we need a place in Telara where the planar invaders have a chance to win.

The argument against this is no one likes to not be able to complete their quests because the NPCs are all dead, which is compelling when we are discussing levelling zones, but with two new continents and an expansion where presumably we have plenty of areas that aren't "new player" zones, there has to be room in the world for a zone or two where the rules are: if you don't beat the events, destroy the footholds and close the rifts, the zone is going to get overrun by bad guys and the ascended are going to need to work to reclaim the zone.

Techncially, I can't see how this would be that difficult, and the upside is these zones would be fantastic solo and small group content areas with the biggest benefit to Trion being a lot of the content would be used repeatedly. Make some good diversity in zone events and rifts, throw in some expert level daily rifts that you need small groups for and maybe even spawns for raid rifts as the "stronghold" areas of the invaders, along with plenty of places for soloers and small groups to fight and reclaim with Planar gear rewards and we'd end up with a spot 24/7 you could go and find PvE opponents by the bucketload with a reason to get after them.

Yeah, just like when Rift launched only then twice as hard would be soooo sweet.
    though it would make the forums explode in QQ's as well
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

So by the sounds of it you would like a cross between the zone events (where the planes invade telara and can win) and the EI onslaughts where a single point is focused for an invasion.

We still don't know what these hunter rifts are going to involve. You would think when the game name is Rift they would be a central feature. I am sure this hasn't been forgotten.

What possibilities would you offer? Something like an instance like conquest where it's an open world event to defend the zone?
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

If you played rift at launch you would know that silverwood "Lost" to rifts many times....
    Calm As A Bomb

Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    though it would make the forums explode in QQ's as well
    Aren't they always like that anyway?

Either way, it would be awesome should they decide to add some actual difficulty to the invasions.
    As it stands, I can solo stuff on my rogue with little to no effort.

It's unfair to those who are actually good at the game that most is catered to the bads.
    A game that's too easy becomes boring to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFabulouss View Post
    If you played rift at launch you would know that silverwood "Lost" to rifts many times....
    good times, good times(though never been in silverwood :P freemarch for me)
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-30-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Rift Chaser

I don't think it has to be instanced; certainly though it needs some algorithms for timing and spawns based on either server population or zone population.

Today, if you are wandering through Shimmersand and see an active foothold, you might go close it, or you might not, but one thing you are sure of is the foothold isn't going to operate as advertised, its not going to keep spawning mobs until Shimmersand if closed for business.

Its the same with Rifts, they may spawn an invasion or two, but by design, ignoring rifts has no consequences; they won't ever overwhelm the NPCs in a zone and discarding game conventions (planarite and achievements), there's really not a reason to bother closing them.

What I am proposing is a zone or two where the gloves are off and if you ignore the planar invaders, they really are going to kill all the NPCs, depopulate the towns and overrun the zone. You can put good gathering nodes in those zones, have expert level rift auto-spawns, even raid rift auto-spwans maybe and plenty of ways to earn whatever the new inscribed stone is.

Does the Fire plane rule NewTown? Go into NewTown, clear it out and pick up 5 Inscribed stones for your effort. Completely clear the zone of invaders? Congratulations, here's an hour or two of peace, until a new element breaches the walls of reality ans launches a massive invasion. What I'm looking for is a zone where you can almost always find someplace to battle planar invaders where it feels like there's some risk and strategy involved and with decent rewards. It would be nice if you opened you zone map and thought, hey, I better clear those three footholds near the big rift first, with those gone, then the rift should be doable.

What I'm really asking for is a zone where there is real risk of failure in terms of losing control of the zone and some relatively straightforward AI from the invaders so they act like real invaders. Have a Raid rift be the main invasion point, some Major rifts as intermediatry objectives with Minor rifts and Footholds spread around. Ignore the invaders, they spawn more footholds and eventually open more rifts and have the planar invaders act at least slightly rationally, with new invasions going to support where the fighting is.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by MRFabulouss View Post
    Right, and when Silverwood loses, that's a problem.

When a level 60 zone loses, it shouldn't ruin the levelling environment for anyone.

+ Reply to Thread