+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tarien
  • 1 Post By Questoften

Thread: All Characters on an Account should belong to a Family

Rift Master

Default All Characters on an Account should belong to a Family

I'd love to see a feature in RIFT where characters on the same account have a shared surname and are treat more as a family, clan or tight knit group like a mini-guild or fellowship (yes, think LOTR).

In addition to uniquely identifying each character that belongs to an account (which would be good for identifying players we want to avoid), there could be addition benefits such as shared storage space like a family vault accessible by all characters, a shared wallet to remove the necessity of sending cash back and forth between characters, automatic access to player slivers (in Storm Legion) for all characters on an account, improved planar and other currency sharing (being able to share plaque's would be awesome) and probably the most desirable aspect of all: Shared Planar Attunement (possibly with a tree for account benefits?).

Might also be interesting to see if couples who marry ingame could take each others names, or have some title such as 'wife/husband/mate of SomePerson'. Maybe married players could even share the same benefits as characters on the same account, with shared storage, wallets, etc.

I'd really love to see a move away from 'what has this character done', to 'what have I done with my account'.
    Click here for Gear Lists for every class!

Can see the benefits of it, BUT

IF it would become real then:
    I would not like to have all my toons on my acount. I would like to have the ability to have my Guardian and Defiant-family being seperated.

In Swtor I hated the fact that my Jedi and my Sith were in the same family. It just destroyed it for me.
    It can happen offcourse, but I much rather have a choise in this
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-22-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    I would not like to have all my toons on my acount. I would like to have the ability to have my Guardian and Defiant-family being seperated.
    Agreed, though to some extent with the proposed 'merger' of the two factions to a great degree coming in 1.10, I wonder whether it is still a valid concern.
    Click here for Gear Lists for every class!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Agreed, though to some extent with the proposed 'merger' of the two factions to a great degree coming in 1.10, I wonder whether it is still a valid concern.
    For me its still valid, thats enough hehe
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

My "family" doesnt get along.

I sometimes think of all my characters as a family.

You could also marry npcs, like in Skyrim:

Marriage is a gameplay element in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. After obtaining the Amulet of Mara, the Dragonborn has the option to engage in either a heterosexual or homosexual marriage with an eligible NPC.[1] Although there is no discrimination based on race, there are currently no eligible Khajiit or Bosmer. Those that can be married generally require that a specific task be completed beforehand. Whether the partner is a merchant or not, they are able to purchase and sell general goods, also allowing the Dragonborn to collect a daily portion of his/her profits from their "work". Every 24 hours, the player can ask their Spouse how their business is faring to receive a share of 100 gold. If the share is not collected, the gold accumulates.

Marrying

Obtaining the Amulet of Mara
    ■ The Amulet of Mara can be bought from a priest named Maramal for 200 . He can be found at either the Bee and Barb or the Temple of Mara in Riften.
    ■ Can be found as random loot.
    ■ Can be found in a tent on a beach North of Dawnstar directly behind the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.
    ■ Can be looted from Kematu in Swindler's Den
    ■ Received for completing The Book of Love questline.
    ■ May be found on a guard in Whiterun.

Marriage must still be discussed with Maramal before proposing, if the amulet is obtained without talking to him first.

Proposing

Maramal must be spoken to about marriage in Skyrim before any dialog related to the Amulet of Mara shows up. The new dialogue is unlocked with certain NPCs if the player is both wearing the amulet and has met the requirement relating to them, usually a quest. The Dragonborn can then express their wish to marry the person. Once that is done, they can speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara about arranging the wedding.

Wedding Ceremony

The time to start a ceremony takes approximately 24 hours. Maramal alludes to the ceremony time being constrained between dawn and dusk, however the ceremony can happen at any given hour of the day. During the ceremony the player has one last chance to affirm the marriage before the ceremony proceeds.

NPCs for whom the player has previously completed quests may appear at the wedding ceremony as guests. If the player already owns any houses, then the corresponding housecarl(s) will also be present.

If the player misses his Wedding Ceremony, they can approach the intended partner and ask for another chance. Maramal will then agree to host another ceremony, the next day.

Married life

After the Marriage, the partner will ask where the player wants to live, giving him/her the choice between the partner's house or in The Dragonborn's house, if applicable.

The behavior of the spouse changes from the single character once married. Tone of voice and behavior changes, they often refer to the player as "love" or "dear" from that point on. However, if the Dragonborn marries one of his housecarls, they will sometimes refer to him as their Thane using subordinate dialogue.

If the player's spouse relocates to a different city from where they originated, to live in one of the player's houses, they may indicate that they wish to become a shop owner to keep occupied while the player is adventuring.

If the player wishes to relocate the spouse to a different home, (either another one of the player's houses or the spouse's own original home), this can be done so at any time via a dialogue option.

Once a day, the player can ask their spouse to cook something for them. They will make a homemade meal that increases the regeneration of magicka, health, and stamina.

If the player sleeps in the house with their spouse, they receive a temporary bonus called Lover's Comfort that boosts the rate of skill-learning by 15% for 8 hours. However, this bonus cannot be obtained if Lover Stone is activated, or if the Blood Ritual has been taken to become a Werewolf.

Note: Because partners act as vendors, the player can buy and sell items from them. However, if they are asked to follow the player, they will only sell him items from their inventory until they part ways. Spouses only act as merchants in the marital home, meaning items cannot be sold to them in a dungeon, to reduce the carry weight, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Questoften View Post
    I sometimes think of all my characters as a family.

You could also marry npcs, like in Skyrim:

Marriage is a gameplay element in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. After obtaining the Amulet of Mara, the Dragonborn has the option to engage in either a heterosexual or homosexual marriage with an eligible NPC.[1] Although there is no discrimination based on race, there are currently no eligible Khajiit or Bosmer. Those that can be married generally require that a specific task be completed beforehand. Whether the partner is a merchant or not, they are able to purchase and sell general goods, also allowing the Dragonborn to collect a daily portion of his/her profits from their "work". Every 24 hours, the player can ask their Spouse how their business is faring to receive a share of 100 gold. If the share is not collected, the gold accumulates.

Marrying

Obtaining the Amulet of Mara
    ■ The Amulet of Mara can be bought from a priest named Maramal for 200 . He can be found at either the Bee and Barb or the Temple of Mara in Riften.
    ■ Can be found as random loot.
    ■ Can be found in a tent on a beach North of Dawnstar directly behind the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.
    ■ Can be looted from Kematu in Swindler's Den
    ■ Received for completing The Book of Love questline.
    ■ May be found on a guard in Whiterun.

Marriage must still be discussed with Maramal before proposing, if the amulet is obtained without talking to him first.

Proposing

Maramal must be spoken to about marriage in Skyrim before any dialog related to the Amulet of Mara shows up. The new dialogue is unlocked with certain NPCs if the player is both wearing the amulet and has met the requirement relating to them, usually a quest. The Dragonborn can then express their wish to marry the person. Once that is done, they can speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara about arranging the wedding.

Wedding Ceremony

The time to start a ceremony takes approximately 24 hours. Maramal alludes to the ceremony time being constrained between dawn and dusk, however the ceremony can happen at any given hour of the day. During the ceremony the player has one last chance to affirm the marriage before the ceremony proceeds.

NPCs for whom the player has previously completed quests may appear at the wedding ceremony as guests. If the player already owns any houses, then the corresponding housecarl(s) will also be present.

If the player misses his Wedding Ceremony, they can approach the intended partner and ask for another chance. Maramal will then agree to host another ceremony, the next day.

Married life

After the Marriage, the partner will ask where the player wants to live, giving him/her the choice between the partner's house or in The Dragonborn's house, if applicable.

The behavior of the spouse changes from the single character once married. Tone of voice and behavior changes, they often refer to the player as "love" or "dear" from that point on. However, if the Dragonborn marries one of his housecarls, they will sometimes refer to him as their Thane using subordinate dialogue.

If the player's spouse relocates to a different city from where they originated, to live in one of the player's houses, they may indicate that they wish to become a shop owner to keep occupied while the player is adventuring.

If the player wishes to relocate the spouse to a different home, (either another one of the player's houses or the spouse's own original home), this can be done so at any time via a dialogue option.

Once a day, the player can ask their spouse to cook something for them. They will make a homemade meal that increases the regeneration of magicka, health, and stamina.

If the player sleeps in the house with their spouse, they receive a temporary bonus called Lover's Comfort that boosts the rate of skill-learning by 15% for 8 hours. However, this bonus cannot be obtained if Lover Stone is activated, or if the Blood Ritual has been taken to become a Werewolf.

Note: Because partners act as vendors, the player can buy and sell items from them. However, if they are asked to follow the player, they will only sell him items from their inventory until they part ways. Spouses only act as merchants in the marital home, meaning items cannot be sold to them in a dungeon, to reduce the carry weight, for instance.
    I've been hoping for some improvments to Rift marriage along those lines.

See #2 in my sig.
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 08-22-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    Can see the benefits of it, BUT
    In Swtor I hated the fact that my Jedi and my Sith were in the same family.
    They weren't, though. You were able to choose your alts to be family, but they could also be friends and rivals.

There should have been a different surname option for alts in SWTOR, sure, but they weren't forcing your Han Solo to brothers with your Luke Skywalker, so to speak.
    <Have access to Photoshop?>---No---[Use very old guild signature that no one will understand]

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post
    I've been hoping for some improvments to Rift marriage along those lines.

See #2 in my sig.
    I wish rift would implement something fun like this, Its the little added fun things the reallly increase my enjoyment of a MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick827 View Post
    There should have been a different surname option for alts in SWTOR, sure, but they weren't forcing your Han Solo to brothers with your Luke Skywalker, so to speak.
    Swtor family system had good points as well. For example that you could make them Rivals. that was a strong point. nevertheless it was still the same family. no option for friends. They all had the same surname, and thus same famiily imo. no matter how they call it :P
    My family was more chaotic in terms of allignment then the skywalker-family, and that was dissapointing
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-23-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    I'd really love to see a move away from 'what has this character done', to 'what have I done with my account'.
    I'd like quote this for emphasis. I don't really see a reason why things are linked to the characters of a player, rather than the player/account.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread