+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Expand Bind on Account

Rift Disciple

Default Expand Bind on Account

Currently there are some items which are BOA however I believe the use of this system is still too limited, taking away from possibly flexibility in the game when it comes to playing a main vs an alt.

I have never been a fan of alts and the number one reason for this is because I have to accomplish all of the same tasks over and over (unnnecessary grind is NOT FUN), ie:

1) Noteriety - currently noteriety gain is pretty useless beyond the enchants you get since most of the time you are past the point of being able to use the rewards by time you gain the amount of noteriety needed on the character. Making noteriety account bound would give the players the ability to make use of those items that they have earned as well as saving unneeded grind to accomplish the same task on another character.

2) Achievements - When the design first came about it was simply for your character which works for some games but as the whole purpose of rift is to allow us to have flexibility in how we play this becomes an unnecessary block. Many players like to attempt the added difficulty to earn some of these achievements however it is not possible to do on all characters which keeps some rewards like a conquerer mount always out of reach of an alt. Making these Account Bound would allow a lot of flexibility to which character someone would wish to play.

3) Planar Attunement - This is an endless grind and getting them on one character is bad enough much less if you have 4 characters (one of each class). The current system is tedious enough without this additional necessity and there needs to be some changes in this system not just in regard to alts but also in regards to new players being able to catch up in a timely manner. I know there has been much debate on this previously but I still feel that there is no reason to have a player limited to a class merely because of PAs.

+1

I've been making posts like these or responding positively to them for a long time. The current situation now is so lackluster the game is not alt-friendly in the slightest and if it was, people would spend MORE time playing.

I view normalization in PvP as valuable since in theory it would allow one to play alts, and not feel gimped compared to their main.

From this perspective, I agree with the OP. One of the things that drew me to this game was that I'd only have to make 4 characters, and could experience everything with respect to the classes.

Once a "grind" has been achieved on one character, I see no reason to have to repeat it, especially as many of these grinds have NOT been made easier over time.

It's certainly possible to repeat these grinds, I know many who have. However, I know many more that simply won't play alts because it'd take away from time on their mains ... if the grinds were to be shared, it would open up a great many possibilities, and perhaps stem the flow player attrition (which I view as a major problem facing most raid guilds).

Seriously consider OP's suggestions please.

Amen. One of the big reasons the alt game in Rift is so bad is because unless you have an extravagant amount of time to play you just can't get to where you want, specially if your goal is raiding in the high end. The PA, the Inscribed, the runes that come from faction grinds, it's all so repetitive and mundane, but needed if you want to perform at your best.

Speaking to the PA part; I suggested a while ago in a different thread to allow for overflow PAs, or set a set amount of PAs from your total net to go to a different character.

Trion needs to think of our accounts as our characters and allow us full customization when it comes to our toons, IMO.
    Last edited by intrinsc; 08-17-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Don't even see need for overflow PA, just BoA it. Cap one, cap all.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Yesyesyes.

At the very least, making rep runes BoA would be a huge improvement.
    Defiant Faeblight *Nikaj* | Most | Roy | Xonia | Tolion
    Guardian Faeblight Alexandriel | Cask | Gwenien | Wyvern
    Defiant Vigil *Nikaj* | Dance | Isabela | Fenris

Ascendant

Runes for reputation, I could support. I can't support BoA PA, because I think that it's a short-term gratification with long-term implications. If a player can't find incentive to play one character when they finish capping PA, why would they want to find themselves in a situation where all potential characters they make suddenly have the max PA?

Not wanting to do a rep grind again is understandable, but that's because grinding rep, in most cases, just isn't fun. That's what needs to change, not making it easier for all characters to have it. The same with gaining experience. But there's only so much that can be done to appease one set of players without it damaging the enjoyment of another set.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

I'm all for most items being BoA. I've said before: why should it matter whether I choose my class before or after logging in to a server? Jobs and characters aren't always that distinguishable. Notoriously "hardcore" MMOs like Final Fantasy XI allow you to change class after logging in (that is, any character can switch to any class, although they must be leveled separately), essentially making all items "bound on account". If you're playing as Dark Knight and find a neat little Dragoon weapon, you can use it, you're not limited to breaking it down or selling it to an NPC for a pittance while your Dragoon alt gets nothing.

Yet, in Rift, because I choose my class before logging in (that is, I need to pick my Cleric character/job), it's somehow completely different?

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    Runes for reputation, I could support. I can't support BoA PA, because I think that it's a short-term gratification with long-term implications. If a player can't find incentive to play one character when they finish capping PA, why would they want to find themselves in a situation where all potential characters they make suddenly have the max PA?

Not wanting to do a rep grind again is understandable, but that's because grinding rep, in most cases, just isn't fun. That's what needs to change, not making it easier for all characters to have it. The same with gaining experience. But there's only so much that can be done to appease one set of players without it damaging the enjoyment of another set.
    I kind of sympathize with your viewpoint on PA. I'm not entirely sure where I stand. As an alternative, how about one PA pool for the entire account, so you can at least earn PA on alts for your main and not feel like you're falling behind?

As far as rep grinds go, though, I feel like I do about BoA. You do it once in XI, and it works across all your jobs. I have no problem with that being the case here!

I want heirloom gear intoduced in rift!
    Last edited by Questoften; 08-22-2012 at 02:32 AM.

All source machines should be BoA... not just the water event ones... that's probably the single-biggest grind on alts... getting a dps/tank/healing source machine for water/earth/fire resists 4 times is a lot of unnecessary grinding.

Also maybe take something from D3, add a bank slot for all alts to access in personal bank. Make it easier to get that nifty new thing to your alt without having to mail it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    I mean how complicated is stay outta the orange crap?

I am liking a lot of these suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Korvan View Post
    Currently there are some items which are BOA however I believe the use of this system is still too limited, taking away from possibly flexibility in the game when it comes to playing a main vs an alt.

I have never been a fan of alts and the number one reason for this is because I have to accomplish all of the same tasks over and over (unnnecessary grind is NOT FUN), ie:

1) Noteriety - currently noteriety gain is pretty useless beyond the enchants you get since most of the time you are past the point of being able to use the rewards by time you gain the amount of noteriety needed on the character. Making noteriety account bound would give the players the ability to make use of those items that they have earned as well as saving unneeded grind to accomplish the same task on another character.

2) Achievements - When the design first came about it was simply for your character which works for some games but as the whole purpose of rift is to allow us to have flexibility in how we play this becomes an unnecessary block. Many players like to attempt the added difficulty to earn some of these achievements however it is not possible to do on all characters which keeps some rewards like a conquerer mount always out of reach of an alt. Making these Account Bound would allow a lot of flexibility to which character someone would wish to play.

3) Planar Attunement - This is an endless grind and getting them on one character is bad enough much less if you have 4 characters (one of each class). The current system is tedious enough without this additional necessity and there needs to be some changes in this system not just in regard to alts but also in regards to new players being able to catch up in a timely manner. I know there has been much debate on this previously but I still feel that there is no reason to have a player limited to a class merely because of PAs.
    I respectfully disagree with all three of your recommendations.

* Notoriety is a grind, sure, but more than just grind, it makes one play their character, and learn/understand that characters strengths, weaknesses, capabilities and limitations. We all want the sparkly rewards at the end of the rainbow, but you should earn them on that character in order for them to have real meaning and value.

* The achievements system, as currently implemented and used, already serves as a unnecessary gate to new players working through the dungeon grind. Most parties require one to "link achievements" simply in order to participate, and my question is: Why? People use the system thinking that having completed the achievement makes a prospective party member knowledgeable in how to deal with the challenges faced therein, however the more important question is: Are you able to competently fulfill the role that you seek to play in that party? Almost anyone can DPS in a run, but do you think that because a person completed a raid run with guildies in a DPS role that they are also qualified to tank that run without ever having done so before? Is it fair to deny a knowledgeable player a place in the team because they haven't completed an achievement, but allow another person to take their place simply because they have a main character that completed it? Should players with DPS characters (or any class character) automatically be qualified to also tank, heal or provide crucial support for a party? Where do you draw the line?

* I'm no fan of the PA grind, but like I stated above regarding the notoriety grind, it serves to force people to learn their character. We all want max level characters with max PA, but should having one maxed out character allow a player to have all subsequent characters maxed out as well?

+1 for the achievements (only if it includes Legacy).
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    One spot left. Who will it be? The suspense is killing me. That and the fact that my bags look like they belong in an episode of Hoarders compared to Zadeth.

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

I'd be ok with PA overflow if class balancing was perfected each update. With the release of EI, the game showed us how easy peasy it was for warriors and clerics to simply run PA alley to max their PAs in a matter of months. With rogues not far behind. Mages weren't able to just pull mobs willy nilly, letting them whack us as we continued to run around tagging more and having upwards of 20-30 mobs on us. In the end, just say NO...

TO PA OVERFLOW!!!
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast