+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Will you normalize PvE gear next?

Champion

Default Will you normalize PvE gear next?

I can't raid as I have spent all my time PvPing.

So when I queue for raids will my gear get boosted?

Quote Originally Posted by Dad123 View Post
    I can't raid as I have spent all my time PvPing.

So when I queue for raids will my gear get boosted?
    Eactly my thoughts. Why should there be ranked gear in PvE. I mean it just isn't fair. And just because I don't raid often shouldn't mean anything. I should be equal to all so it will be skill based!
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

calm down, theyre just testing it, if it doesnt work then they wont release it

theyve tried to make it painfully clear that this doesnt even have a release date planned, theyre just playing with it to see what would happen.. apparently they didnt make it clear enough

dbe
    General of Telara

It's not the same thing, and if you need an explanation as to why, you should put your helmet back on.

How do you figure it's different? Both are based on a grind for gear. I mean how complicated is stay outta the orange crap?
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    How do you figure it's different? Both are based on a grind for gear. I mean how complicated is stay outta the orange crap?
    This made me giggle..........and yes, I stole it for Sig
    I mean how complicated is stay outta the orange crap?

How do you figure it's different?
    One is cooperative:
    co·op·er·a·tive (k-pr--tv, --rtv, -pr-)
    adj.
    1. Done in cooperation with others: a cooperative effort.

The other is competitive:
    com·pet·i·tive (km-pt-tv)
    adj.
    1. Of, involving, or determined by competition: competitive games.
    ~Quiescent

You can queue for raids?

As for why they are different is this. In PvE you fight an AI that has progressively more stats as you progress. More HP more dps, enrage timers etc. As such to kill tougher mobs you need more stats and the only place to get them is on gear.

The theory I always hear put forth by PvPers is that PvP is harder because you face another player. Naked he has the same stats as you do. If the difficulty and thus the thrill of victory is based on facing another skilled player, not a strictly designed and scripted mob with greater stats that need to be overcomed via gear peogression why do you need progressive gear in the first place for an objective reason. I get the epeen factor... I earned X favor and Prestige, but objectively you do not have the bonafide requirement for progressively better gear that you have due to the PvE mechanics.

The two contents are very different. What will you do if you go to GW2. There gear means pretty much nothing at all in PvP from the gate because it follows the above mindset.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

if you could, you would be doing it
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    You can queue for raids?

As for why they are different is this. In PvE you fight an AI that has progressively more stats as you progress. More HP more dps, enrage timers etc. As such to kill tougher mobs you need more stats and the only place to get them is on gear.

The theory I always hear put forth by PvPers is that PvP is harder because you face another player. Naked he has the same stats as you do. If the difficulty and thus the thrill of victory is based on facing another skilled player, not a strictly designed and scripted mob with greater stats that need to be overcomed via gear peogression why do you need progressive gear in the first place for an objective reason. I get the epeen factor... I earned X favor and Prestige, but objectively you do not have the bonafide requirement for progressively better gear that you have due to the PvE mechanics.

The two contents are very different. What will you do if you go to GW2. There gear means pretty much nothing at all in PvP from the gate because it follows the above mindset.
    I think there are two types of PvPers;

Ones who wish to use skill to overcome other players.

Those who wish to grind out gear to overcome other players.

Right now, Trion was their last bastion of hope for the second kind. GW2 would take away all the skilled players, so they were hoping to dominate Rift's PvP with their advanced gear, now that they don't have to face skilled players.

With Trion's normalisation, they are afraid that skilled PvP players will continue to play Rift and dominate them in equal gear.

The gear grind was also their way of justifying their skill and other players' lack of skills -> If they killed someone, it was because they were skilled, not because of their gear. If they lost to someone, it was because that other player was more geared than they were. The perfect way to feel awesome without having any skills.
    Last edited by Jonus; 08-14-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    theyve tried to make it painfully clear that this doesnt even have a release date planned, theyre just playing with it to see what would happen.. apparently they didnt make it clear enough
    This x100. Save your QQ for when it is going to go live.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

this is another one of those "this argument sounds cool I'm gonna say it over and over"

If they did they would have to get rid of progression as well. Just make raids 8 random bosses from GSB to ID. Then PvE would have the same progression PvP does.

Personally I thought their initial following of WoW and EQ2 with PvP gear was a disaster waiting to happen. It creates an imbalance in PvP. Traditionally what made MMO PvP different than PvE was that it was almost exclusively about the skill and build of one player winning, not their gear. That said I got the idea of wanting people who primarily PvP'd a way to get gear to raid on occassion was a nice idea but I feared it was going to fail.

Then they introduced the PvE raid crystals and the only real logical reason, preventing PvPers from having to grind PvE to raid, was thrown out. So now you are left with a system that anytime Trion tries to do something where skill becomes the focus of PvP and not the gear, the wanna be PvPers who rely on their gear superiority freak out because heaven forbid they need to l2p.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

You dont need better gear to defeat another player

you do need better gear to defeat a higher tier raid

there you go
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast