+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trion please give us single-server tech!

Default Trion please give us single-server tech!

As one of Rift's beta testers and avid fans I've stuck with the game through thick and thin since launch and have overall been very happy with the game and direction that its taking. That being said I would sincerely like to see Trion implement the same singe-server tech that FunCom currently employs in The Secret World. Its a brilliant thing really, 1 "server" diced up into "shards". No longer will shard population be an issue, and it would actually be even better if both the NA & Euro populations were all thrown together to give the game an even bigger, fuller feel.

I believe there are many who would support this also, would love to see you guys at least give it some consideration
    Vanilla Rift (Cleared) - ToDQ 4/4 - FT 4/4 - EE 5/5 - GA 1/4

And for those of us who prefer smaller populations? It'd be a real shame to see the smaller communities around being dissolved. Sure it might feel a little empty, but at least you're not in competition with others about mobs for quests all the time and such. Roleplay even seems to thrive better in the community being on a smaller shard, we've not seen much griefing at all since launch, stuff that we'd encounter a whole lot more if we were constantly playing on the same map as the rest of the regions population.
    Might be a good thing for other games, I just can't see it really fitting Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    Because it really depends on an initial game design.

I don't miss the days of fighting for resources and mobs. I like medium to low population. It makes leveling and gathering professions much easier without the wander around waiting for things to respawn.
    My last MMO was a constant struggle to get things done because some other player would be running around waiting for me to wipe mobs up so they could swoop in and take the nods I was fighting for. Don't miss that at all.
    Do not be to moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not Simply good; be good for something.

hmm I like how it is. like my RP-shard.
    can also forsee problems with the pve vs pvp crowd
    maybe there is a way to work around this, then I would be in favor :P
    still see the problem for the RP-crowd then(*and those who like RP-servers)

not to mention the fight for mobs and nodes etc
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

No thanks. Resources nodes would need to be changed so they're "instanced" for everyone, as well as something done about monsters in either their repop rates or better sharing credit amongst people not partied for quests and the like. The game engine still has some optimization issues that need tackled before you start throwing more people together, too. "Nerf your graphics into the stone age" shouldn't be the solution, and it isn't even a perfect fix.

As is, people can "cross shard" for WFs and dungeons. Expand that to general questing and you'd pretty much be set. Simply seeing more people around does not automatically make the game better. They're all doing their own little things and would just as likely ignore everyone else while doing said things.

I fully support single-shard tech, with the exception that PvP/PvE/RP still need to be kept split up. So maybe more of a three-shard thing? Trion recently implemented new tech to increase EU shard capacity, but I am unsure if it also was applied to NA shards as well.

If you are familiar with how phased instancing works from WoW's WotLK, and spawned zone instances work in EQ2, I submit that their new tech may be a sort of hybrid of the two. Example: I am running around Sanctum through overpopulated spots, the game spontaneously spawns off another mini phased instance of the local vicinity. Population density would be the main factor. This would explain those extra load screens we have all seen when just riding around. This would also explain the frequent disconnects if these mini phased instances were full and another person enters it, thus bumping you off(DC).

Obviously this is all just theorizing on my part, since Trion hasn't really given many details on their tech. It would be nice to know for certain though. I would definitely like to see a unified game world split only along the PvP/PvE/RP lines(and the 3 conquest factions for warfronts/PvP shard). It would make for a healthier LFG/PVP queue and auction house, so long as they fixed the lag and disconnect issues.
    Last edited by Dkknight777; 08-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Cernwn L60 Warrior || Grumpabumps L55 Cleric || Jaeger L58 Rogue || Mencken L59 Mage
    Collective of Stars @Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Saeleth View Post
    As one of Rift's beta testers and avid fans I've stuck with the game through thick and thin since launch and have overall been very happy with the game and direction that its taking. That being said I would sincerely like to see Trion implement the same singe-server tech that FunCom currently employs in The Secret World. Its a brilliant thing really, 1 "server" diced up into "shards". No longer will shard population be an issue, and it would actually be even better if both the NA & Euro populations were all thrown together to give the game an even bigger, fuller feel.

I believe there are many who would support this also, would love to see you guys at least give it some consideration
    If you want a bigger, fuller feel, then eat carne asada burritos morning noon and night for a week. That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    And for those of us who prefer smaller populations? It'd be a real shame to see the smaller communities around being dissolved. Sure it might feel a little empty, but at least you're not in competition with others about mobs for quests all the time and such. Roleplay even seems to thrive better in the community being on a smaller shard, we've not seen much griefing at all since launch, stuff that we'd encounter a whole lot more if we were constantly playing on the same map as the rest of the regions population.
    Single-server doesn't quite work the way you are describing. Basically, it's very close to what we have right now; everyone has a home "dimension", and you're in that dimension unless you get grouped with someone else. Even within a single dimension, there are often several instances of zones -- which is not always good, but also not always bad.

So if I talk on General, the only people who see it are the people who are in the same zone and currently on my "dimension". But if I know someone, I can /tell them regardless. The big impact is, I can /invite them to a group, and if they join, they can pop over to my dimension.

So it does a good job of mixing the server-community thing with substantially improved freedom of movement and grouping.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Single-server doesn't quite work the way you are describing. Basically, it's very close to what we have right now; everyone has a home "dimension", and you're in that dimension unless you get grouped with someone else. Even within a single dimension, there are often several instances of zones -- which is not always good, but also not always bad.

So if I talk on General, the only people who see it are the people who are in the same zone and currently on my "dimension". But if I know someone, I can /tell them regardless. The big impact is, I can /invite them to a group, and if they join, they can pop over to my dimension.

So it does a good job of mixing the server-community thing with substantially improved freedom of movement and grouping.
    in that case: all for it xD
    If my dimension would be the Argent Shard, and only that shard, but I could play with people from outside that shard(if I choosed to) that would be a good thing.
    personally still wont do it(enough people in guild), but I can see this work for a lot of people
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post

Trion seems to slowly be moving in this direction, as evidenced by a certain IA bug a while back (as well as how quickly you can transfer shards) it's possible for the servers to throw characters onto other servers in the same battlegroup willy-nilly. So the battlegroups are in essence one "server" just with a bit more restrictions between the shards for various reasons.

I support single server tech.

The main question is the Rift server infrastructure being able to support it, as well as the game itself, along with player computers being able to handle it, since this game is all about large scale assaults.

They COULD go the GW2 route and have layered "phased" versions of each zone or world, where if one phase is maxed out, people are set to another phase.

+ Reply to Thread