+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Arthritis

Thread: Loot Locking and Replayable Content

Shield of Telara

Default Loot Locking and Replayable Content

RIFT has many features that make it the best MMO on the market in my opinion and there are two more features that I would like to see added that I think would make it even better. First a little background.

These two ideas come from another MMO called DC Universe Online (this is not an attempt to promote DCUO, I am simply providing background so you know exactly what I am talking about) which I play whenever I feel the need to take a break from RIFT. I've actually been playing DCUO longer than RIFT and the fact that I still play both is a testament to how "awesome" both games are.

The first idea is loot locking. In DCUO once you have completed a certain part of an instance you become loot locked to that specific part of said content. For example, if I come into a Kahndaq raid on the third boss, down him then leave, I am only loot locked to the loot that boss drops until the instance resets. Which means that I can go back into Kahndaq with a completely new raid during the same lockout and down all the bosses I didn't down in the last attempt (plus the third boss again) and I am eligible to roll on loots from all the other bosses except the third one since I am already loot locked to him.

This would be a fanastic additional feature to RIFT as we would no longer have to worry about getting locked to an instance for an entire week or locked out of certain boss loot drops because of where we came into an instance in progress. So if I get into a fail HK run where the RL rage quits after 4-5 bosses and the group falls apart because no one else is able to take over, I would be still be able to join a completely different HK raid during the same lockout and still have a shot at the loot from other bosses while still being able to participate in clearing the content I've already seen that week.

Loot locking bosses instead of instance locking players I think is in perfect harmony with the new mentoring feature that is currently being tested on the PTS, a feature that I have tested and like.

The second feature I would like to see added to RIFT is an equivalent to DCUO's replay badges. In DCUO replay badges allow a player to reset content as many times as they wish (depending on how many replay badges they have) before said content auto-resests. For example, lets say I full clear the daily but I didn't get any loot because someone else in my group ninja looted everything, not giving me a fair shot at any of the drops. With replay badges I can reset all of the boss loot locks for that instance then run it again with someone else who is not going to ninja loot everything.

The main difference between these two ideas is loot locking allows access to all content during a lockout period but only locks boss loot drops that you participated in and replay badges allow you to completely reset boss loot locks.

I know both of these features work wonderfully in DCUO and I think they would be a welcome addition to RIFT.
    Last edited by Arthritis; 05-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I love this post

I like it, but I've never played DCUO and have a couple question.

Where do you get replay unlocking credits? DO they drop from random bosses, is it something like "Pay 20 plat and get a replay credit? Or does the AI of the server realize you had no loot and allows you to reset.

Second question - Does the loot lock save you to a boss you've downed, or just one you've won loot on.

For both I see the same potential problem, depending on how the system works. It gives players more than one bite at the apple. Run through HK and didn't see anything you liked, don't worry, you can run it again tomorrow .... just don't pick up any loot tonight and you can re-set it.

This doesn't happen though if its bosses downed not bosses won from - so there's the difference I guess.

Current Dimension: @Faeblight :: Boriel Cabin

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Milyssa View Post
    I like it, but I've never played DCUO and have a couple question.

Where do you get replay unlocking credits? DO they drop from random bosses, is it something like "Pay 20 plat and get a replay credit? Or does the AI of the server realize you had no loot and allows you to reset.

Second question - Does the loot lock save you to a boss you've downed, or just one you've won loot on.

For both I see the same potential problem, depending on how the system works. It gives players more than one bite at the apple. Run through HK and didn't see anything you liked, don't worry, you can run it again tomorrow .... just don't pick up any loot tonight and you can re-set it.

This doesn't happen though if its bosses downed not bosses won from - so there's the difference I guess.
    In DCUO you automatically receive a set amount of replay badges at the beggining of each month you pay for Legendary access (DCUO moved to free to play last fall so you get added benefits for continuing to pay.) I'm sure Trion could devise a fair system of instance reset tokens should they add that particular feature.

For your second question the way loot locking works in DCUO is once you have downed a boss and that loot is won by whoever you are locked from being able to roll on any loot THAT boss drops until the instance is reset, either the normal auto-reset time or with replay badges. You can still start a new raid of that very same instance and kill the boss all over again with new people but you are not able to roll on loot THAT boss drops.

The advantage to changing to a loot locking system over the current player lock system is that you literally have all week to run any instance you wish as many times as it takes for you to face the boss(es) you want (maybe for gear or to complete a weekly quest) until you get your shot. The current system is too rigid in my opinion since it doesn't take into account player disconnects (for whatever reason) or ******** players who intentionally sabotage raid groups because they get some sort of gratification out of doing that. With the current system, once you down a "boss" you are locked for the week. So if your group falls apart, you are kicked for whatever reason, the server goes down unexpectedly, you disconnect and can't get back online for a while....you're stuck until your lock expires on Wednesday and then its back to keeping your fingers crossed that the same thing doesn't happen all over again. With loot locking you can always come back later in a new group and still get a shot at a boss you didn't before, get your weekly done, maybe get that achveivement you've been after or just help out a friend or some guildies get their weekly run done.

True, you will not be able to roll on any loot that drops from bosses you've already downed in previous attempts that week but you will be able to run as often as you wish for whatever reason(s) until the loot locks expire.

As to your concern for player abuse of the loot locking system that has not been my experience in DCUO BUT there IS the issue of finding people who are willing to run content they cannot receive loot from. The bigger concern for player abuse would be with resetting the loot locks which in DCUO costs real money to do and there are daily instances of players resetting content to get specific loot but its their money so DCUO makes a killing from them. I would not like to see THAT form of instance resets in RIFT and we could skip that feature altogether just to avoid that particular issue. But I would like to see RIFT move to a loot lock system and away from the current player lock one. But thats me.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Let me know if how I did?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Arthritis; 05-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    I love this post

Maybe you can get PA for running loot locked bosses and downing them as a compensation for no loot? I like the idea that you can have a chance at the loot you missed. If you got loot that week already, you get PA per downed boss, instead.

Instead of reset badges at the beginning of each month, maybe one reset badge per completed dungeon? Full clear gives you the reset badge.
    * Cienn 50 Mathosian Pyro Mage-Keenblade * Landuu 45 Kelari Pyro Mage-Greenscale * Xee 37 High Elf Healing Cleric, Warfronts-Homeless *

If you say "plz" instead of "please" because it's easier to type, then I will say "no" instead of "yes" for the same reason.

Ascendant

This is a pretty great way to gear up entire raids of people in one evening . . . relics for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cienn View Post

Instead of reset badges at the beginning of each month, maybe one reset badge per completed dungeon? Full clear gives you the reset badge.
    But then, what would be the point of lock outs at all - you could run it over and over. Complete the dungeon, get the lockout reset badge, use the lock out reset badge, re-run the instance again, get ANOTHER lock out reset badge, rince and repeat.

Current Dimension: @Faeblight :: Boriel Cabin

Shield of Telara

Because DCUO is free to play players are also able to buy as many replay badges as they can afford from the game store which is why I said I'm sure Trion could devise a fair system for this specific feature. In DCUO this particular feature is advantaged to the one most able to afford it and the higher the tier or greater the difficulty of the content the more replay badges it takes to reset the content.

I love the idea of resetting content as I would no longer have to be concerned with being included in the occassional fail pug where certain players behave as if it is completely acceptable for them to grief the group by intentionally hindering it or I am disconnected from the game for whatever reason and by the time I get back into the game I have been replaced and locked out of an instance for another week or not being able to help out others with my main toon which I love to play and being forced to help out on an alt which I do not enjoy anywhere near as much.

I DO NOT want a system where the player with the most real world money gets to dominate RIFT which is why I am AGAINST multi-boxing as a general rule and specifically in warfronts. But Trion says multi-boxing is perfectly okay so I'm certain they would be able to devise a fair system for players to reset loot locks ahead of the Wednesday reset.

Oh...and the notion of gearing up an entire raid with relics in a one evening....easy solution there...Trion could make it so the relics require an extra expense to reset or just bar players who have already had a shot at them that week from getting a second shot. Maybe allow relics to be reset at the same time as the master modes on Sunday and Wednesday.

Both of these ideas, I think, are in perfect harmony with the new mentoring feature currently being tested on the PTS and while I'm certain its much too late to include a variation of them in 1.9 maybe Trion can see what they are able to do for 1.9+?
    Last edited by Arthritis; 05-31-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    I love this post

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

I don't mind the locks to bosses, but definite no to the replay badge idea. It's simple enough to gear up in a relatively short amount of time as is, and suddenly removing the RNG behind weekly loot drops to get a replay would annoy a lot of people who have been playing a long time.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Shield of Telara

Glad to see this hasn't been closed, too...lol

One of my chief complaints about Rift is still this.

Rift needs to move to a loot locking system if it hopes to keep raiders engaged in the game longer than a month or two. There is no harm in loot locking. None whatsoever. And it is a simple switch. Plus it will keep raiders raiding.

Good luck.
    I love this post

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Arthritis View Post
    Glad to see this hasn't been closed, too...lol

One of my chief complaints about Rift is still this.

Rift needs to move to a loot locking system if it hopes to keep raiders engaged in the game longer than a month or two. There is no harm in loot locking. None whatsoever. And it is a simple switch. Plus it will keep raiders raiding.

Good luck.
    Still happy to see this thread has not been closed given its age

Now that Rift is Free To Play, Trion would be VERY smart to move to a loot locking system as outlined in my OP AND offer "loot lock resets" in the cash shop.

Loot locking allows players who participate in instanced group content the freedom and flexibility to raid whenever and with whoever they want each week as often as they want.

And "loot lock resets" are NOT buying endgame raid gear via the cash shop - "loot lock resets" simply allow players to spend real money for another chance at "MAYBE" a roll at gear. (Before you get your panties in a twist ask yourself how long you have waited for a specific item to drop and compare that how many times you've actually seen said item drop from a boss in the TOTAL number of times you've actually downed that boss.)

Keep the faith!
    I love this post

Shield of Telara

Bumping this 18 month old thread in response to all the likeminded ones that have crept onto these here forums in recent days...

Maybe...

Maybe...

/+fingers....
    I love this post

+ Reply to Thread