+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "family friendly" or "mature" realm

Soulwalker

Default "family friendly" or "mature" realm

I know I am probably among a very small population of the people here who feel this way, but I feel disgusted every time I log on and hear nothing but x-rated talk in chat. Tonight I logged onto Greybriar and within 5 minutes had literally "ignored" about 99% of the people talking simply because I choose not to talk or listen to gutter speak. And the filter only filters out the bad words but not the rest of the bad language that goes along with it.

I love this game. It is creative, has a lot to do beyond 50 and is beautiful. But, as long as I keep feeling like I am walking through the sewers to be able to play here, it will not be a fun experience for me.

My suggestion is giving the (probably) small percentage of us who have good character and values and who are family oriented our own realm to play on. Somewhere where there would still be some social code where people are not just encouraged but expected to be polite and "G rated".

Go ahead and mock me if you must for my good nature and wholesome attitude but I figured, it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    ************************************************** *******************************
    “The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”

Rift Chaser

While I personally don't mind, I do understand that many people do, and I do support the idea of somehow managing or seperating people, especially children, from people whom don't care what they say on the internet.
    The fact that all reports of spam and blatant verbal harassment and 'adult-rated' chat get thrown out is also very concerning, and integral with this initial issue.

I think one solution would be to have an option to ignore Lite players. The worst place in the game seems to be the chat targeted at the players up to level 29.
    Last edited by StigtriX; 02-22-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Shadowlander

Whilst idiots don't bother me, if I had the option I'd probably play on a mature/heavily moderated realm if one was available.

just configure your tabs in the chat box and check off certain zone, chat areas youu do not wish to experience. i have mine set up to ignore all of world chat in the guild tab. very simple to do and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZodiac View Post
    just configure your tabs in the chat box and check off certain zone, chat areas youu do not wish to experience. i have mine set up to ignore all of world chat in the guild tab. very simple to do and problem solved.
    ^This, i just have a tab with guild,party, events and wispers. i never see world chat.
    <Mercenary> Briarcliff
    <Dragon Hunters> Wolfsbane
    Baowolf 50 War (Retired)
    Largol Cleric (Active)
    Spreez 50 Mage (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by StigtriX View Post
    I think one solution would be to have an option to ignore Lite players. The worst place in the game seems to be the chat targeted at the players up to level 29.
    Has nothing to do with "lite players". Most of the people on my server that junk up /4 chat are level 50, and it's been this way since before they introduced rift lite.

I don't know the specifics on chat policy, but we should be able to report people for inapropriate chat, and they should receive temp chat bans. Most ever other MMO I've played if you say something inappropriate in chat and get reported for it you can get a temp ban from chat, if not the game itself. Actually had it happen to me in another MMO.

I don't mind cursing, I turn the filter off. I'm a big boy and words are just that words. However, I don't log into rift to see constant religeous or political discussion, or who enjoys anal.

The best suggestion I can think of is for Trion to hire people who are responcible for monitoring chat on each server, and mute those people who use it to troll in.

Enough is enough already.

Rift Disciple

I sympathise, but you do realise that it's the teens and kids, probably playing from their "family oriented" bedrooms, that are the worse offenders? You might want to reverse your idea of "mature" and "family"!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZodiac View Post
    That's very helpful to keep your chat windows clean, but for people who craft low level items /4 is were you usually want to advertise. 50 chat is also not exempt from the trolls and I follow it for people putting together groups for things like crafting rifts, pvp rifts, events, and pugs.

Chat needs to be monitored, and people using it to troll need to be dealt with, and that should fall on the respocibility of a GM; not us.

Quote Originally Posted by rptb1 View Post
    I sympathise, but you do realise that it's the teens and kids, probably playing from their "family oriented" bedrooms, that are the worse offenders? You might want to reverse your idea of "mature" and "family"!
    This is as false as the claim that it's the "lite" players.

Some of the worse offenders on my server aren't "teens" or "kids" but young adults if not full blown adults. You can't just generalize stupidity to be kids, grown-ups are just as bad, and often times worse, believe it or not.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Fariic View Post
    Yes, exactly that false. Well spotted. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Fariic View Post

Some of the worse offenders on my server aren't "teens" or "kids" but young adults if not full blown adults. You can't just generalize stupidity to be kids, grown-ups are just as bad, and often times worse, believe it or not.
    And you can't generalize it to be the opposite. Regardless, this is why MMOs and any online game with communication have a disclaimer that play experience may change, and unless there is something in the terms of service specifically about immature conversation (which funnily enough includes what is usually considered "mature conversation"), they aren't going to ban people for it. If you're a parent and you don't want your kid exposed to that then don't let them play MMOs or communicate with anyone over the internet, it's pretty simple. If you don't want to hear it, switch to another channel tab when you aren't using it. Or just don't pay attention to it, like a mature individual is capable of.

Soulwalker

First, I know I am able to turn off chat. But turning off chat kind of misses the point of it being a multi-player game. I want to be able to respond to the "looking for crafter" or "can anyone help me" posts that do occasionally pop up.

Second, I know very well that trolls will always exist in a game like this and that people will discuss whatever topics they choose. I am not talking about that annoying-just ignore it chat. When I logged on last night, I logged into the middle of a conversation in level 50 chat, so therefore not free players, which was very specific XXX rated sexual talk. Player after player went onto my ignore list for not having the decency to realize this is a T rated game, not an M. I have been playing MMO's for a long time, it is my hobby, it is what I enjoy, but I have NEVER in any game been in the middle of a conversation such as this. It was totally inappropriate no matter who you are.

I am a married, 40 year old mom of 4 so I definately know when to just "tune it out", especially since no one cares any more that you "shouldn't say that in front of a lady". And yes, there are ladies who play this game. But when the talk in general chat gets so XXX that it is making me feel like I have suddenly ended up in some sexual M rated game, which I choose not to play because of my own values, that's when it has gone too far IMO.

And yes, I put "mature" and "family" in quotes because I know everyone defines those words differently. I don't let my kids have chat on when they play games like this and i thoroughly monitor their use of the internet, but it bothers me that other people just don't care who might be listening. THIS is why I ask for a moderated realm where anyone can have on any chat channel and not have to hear the XXX talk. With all the realms available, surely it wouldn't bother any of you who do not censor your words to let the rest of us, small percentage that we are, just play the game without having to feel like we have to turn chat off.

Personal responsibility comes before personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening View Post

My suggestion is giving the (probably) small percentage of us who have good character and values and who are family oriented our own realm to play on.
    Just lol at this. Open mouth ---> insert foot. Really, just think about what you are asking for. It will dawn on you.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Soulwalker

@Violacea. I have sat here for 5 minutes while drinking my coffee trying to figure out why you quoted what you did. And I am stumped. Yes, that's my final answer. Maybe its that there is some dirty joke involved that I am not getting, or maybe I have used some drug term that I don't have any idea I used.

Or maybe it is because you are suggesting that people with "good character" don't PLAY MMOs. Well, what do you think I should do, sit around and knit? Just because I consider how my thoughts and actions might affect others BEFORE I speak them doesn't mean that I don't enjoy playing a game. It surely beats watching TV, usually. And I live in a small town where there is not much to do otherwise. So, if you are quoting me for that, you should redefine your assumptions about people who classify themselves as such.

Or maybe it is because i said (probably) small percentage of us. Yes, I would rather play on a realm with 50 people, or less, who just play the game, without having to turn off channels than play with hundreds of people on a realm who don't know when its appropriate to keep quiet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast