+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I'd love it if we could block damage meters

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Eringobroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default I'd love it if we could block damage meters

    I just came back to the game after quite a few months. I hope on my lvl 17 mage and get into a random dungeon. During this instance, someone complains about my dps. I guess in a raid environment that would be fine but I see no good reason for this to come up in such a low instance. Nobody was dying, everything was going down. I'm very disappointed. I left wow because of this, I'm not going to stick around here for it. Unfortunately I wont be re-subbing again.

  2. #2
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    766

    Default

    There are always such people who take these numbers serious.
    That's what you get from "random" group makeups.

    Ability to hide these info might increase the number of leeching parasites.
    To fight that, players who use that feature would be immediately kicked out of the group.
    So, at the end, it might simply escalate the issue.

    The only thing we can do is not to use random group feature.
    Instead, join/form a guild with players who love fun over numbers, and team with them.
    Last edited by Tenof; 02-11-2012 at 06:40 PM.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Eringobroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I just came back. I don't know anybody. Using random dungeon finder used to be a good way to meet people.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    just ignore those people :P

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Eringobroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Well normally I would but when you have to wait an hour to get into a group it kind of ruins the experience. The game was not like this before the meters. It was actually fun. I suppose its my own fault for coming back even after I knew there were meters in the game now. Hence, my suggestion.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander Retguyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Don't worry about it dude. There are some people that even if everything is going smooth they will dog on one dps who isn't doing enough and act like it is a big deal. There are people who are in raids who say, the whole raid is only doing (for example) 50k dps, we need to be doing 55k dps to get past the second phase. We tried it and did fine. These type of people are in every single game, just got to look past them.

    Though if your dps is a little low you should probably just keep that as a note in your head or something, just so you can keep improving.
    Last edited by Retguyy; 02-12-2012 at 07:45 AM.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker Eringobroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Retguyy View Post
    Don't worry about it dude. There are some people that even if everything is going smooth they will dog on one dps who isn't doing enough and act like it is a big deal. There are people who are in raids who say, the whole raid is only doing (for example) 50k dps, we need to be doing 55k dps to get past the second phase. We tried it and did fine. These type of people are in every single game, just got to look past them.

    Though if your dps is a little low you should probably just keep that as a note in your head or something, just so you can keep improving.
    I think the thing that bothered me the most is that the lvl 17 toon was an alt and I created it just for something different. I figured I'd get it high enough to go in the lowest level dungeon and run it for a change of pace now and then.

    I subbed 5 days ago and was doing randoms left and right on my 35 bard and not once in any of those dungeons did anyone talk about dps to me or anyone else. Only on my lvl 17 in the lowest dungeon did this make a difference.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Hotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    The meters have always been around... Regardless, stating you're going to unsub on a whim doesn't add much depth to the conversation.

  9. #9
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Dude, we have had damage meters since beta. Meters are not the cause of your problem. There was no "before" damage meters.

    Look, groups are always gonna have people who are like that. Take away damage meters, and you know what? They'll still complain, they'll just be even less accurate.

    My advice: Chat a little in the zone/level chats, get to know people that way. You can just ignore people you dislike there. Works for me. That said... While I've had some jerks in randoms, I've mostly had pretty cool people. Sometimes you get a run of bad luck, but it evens out.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  10. #10
    Soulwalker Eringobroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Why are you getting upset over a suggestion on the suggestion board?

    The meters have not always been around. I was in beta, I played right after beta. There were no damage meters. It was a different game. You didn't get called out at level 17 for dps. I've played in other games that didn't have meters, and its a different environment there as well. It ALWAYS brings out the worst in people. And normally, when a person is a jerk without them, they'd be kicked for being a jerk. A meter is an excuse to be a jerk and most people let this slide.

    And I"m not quitting on a whim. This is something that ruins the game for me and I'm sad to see it happening here. I'm just taking my business elsewhere.

    If they ever decide to allow people to block their info from going into a meter that someone else is using then I'll think about returning. Until then I'll go somewhere this doesn't exist.

  11. #11
    Ascendant xanduin246's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eringobroad View Post
    Why are you getting upset over a suggestion on the suggestion board?

    The meters have not always been around. I was in beta, I played right after beta. There were no damage meters. It was a different game. You didn't get called out at level 17 for dps. I've played in other games that didn't have meters, and its a different environment there as well. It ALWAYS brings out the worst in people. And normally, when a person is a jerk without them, they'd be kicked for being a jerk. A meter is an excuse to be a jerk and most people let this slide.

    And I"m not quitting on a whim. This is something that ruins the game for me and I'm sad to see it happening here. I'm just taking my business elsewhere.

    If they ever decide to allow people to block their info from going into a meter that someone else is using then I'll think about returning. Until then I'll go somewhere this doesn't exist.
    i hope you dont decide to quit over this, but the way youre handling it is terrible, this is not common, and banning it would create even more problems for people, as posted above

    there were damage meters, you couldnt run them in game though, they were called parsers, heres a forum post talking about an update to one months before rift released

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I was in a lowbie dungeon a few days ago on my Justicar as support. After several comments from the healer about how great they were at healing, the healer suggested I go to DPS because she was doing such an awesome job. I did, and the very next pull someone dies. A quick check of my meter (after the death) and I was outhealing her prior to swapping, highly amusing. Didn't get anymore comments from the healer about how awesome they were after that funnily enough, they were working a lot harder... in a lowbie dungeon haha.

    My point is, people don't need meters to say they're awesome or that someone else is bad. Meters just provide facts. If your issue is with someone being annoying with meters, the problem is that person - not the facts or the ability to see those facts. Without the meters, they'd find another way to be annoying (SWTOR is evidence of that, the community can be shocking).

    If someone starts using meters to harass people, I usually get stuck into them however I can. But that's not because its based on meters - I get stuck into anyone that harasses other people around me.
    Last edited by Yonan; 02-12-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Grammar

  13. #13
    Soulwalker Eringobroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    i hope you dont decide to quit over this, but the way youre handling it is terrible, this is not common, and banning it would create even more problems for people, as posted above

    there were damage meters, you couldnt run them in game though, they were called parsers, heres a forum post talking about an update to one months before rift released
    A parser, in my understanding, is not the same as a damage meter that you can have in game on your screen. So, maybe I'm mistaken on that fact. But my main point is that at lvl 17 people should not be harassing you over your dps, and if I could block my info from going into their meter, that would shut them up about my numbers because they wouldn't have access to it. If they are going to kick me for that then so be it, but at least I have a choice in the situation.

    I'm not asking for it to be banned. I'm asking for some control over what kind of info people receive about me when they start to harass me. So, I don't think I'm handling it badly, I think I'm asking for some way to have a little more control in a game that I"m paying to play too.

  14. #14
    Soulwalker Eringobroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonan View Post
    I was in a lowbie dungeon a few days ago on my Justicar as support. After several comments from the healer about how great they were at healing, the healer suggested I go to DPS because she was doing such an awesome job. I did, and the very next pull someone dies. A quick check of my meter (after the death) and I was outhealing her prior to swapping, highly amusing. Didn't get anymore comments from the healer about how awesome they were after that funnily enough, they were working a lot harder... in a lowbie dungeon haha.

    My point is, people don't need meters to say they're awesome or that someone else is bad. Meters just provide facts. If your issue is with someone being annoying with meters, the problem is that person - not the facts or the ability to see those facts. Without the meters, they'd find another way to be annoying (SWTOR is evidence of that, the community can be shocking).

    If someone starts using meters to harass people, I usually get stuck into them however I can. But that's not because its based on meters - I get stuck into anyone that harasses other people around me.
    You're right, I've been playing mmo's for a long time and there are jerks in every game. However, a meter seems to have become an acceptable excuse. Nobody in that group kicked the jerk and they began to join in with him. This is not an enjoyable experience.

    It would just be nice for those of us not stuck on dps meters at level 17 to have an option.

  15. #15
    Champion kirsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    531

    Default

    I agree 100%, damage meters are ridiculous. Everyone should be contributing in every way they can, RIFT lends itself well to this, damage meters should be entirely superfluous outside of raiding and disregarded entirely as long as everyone is pulling their weight in terms of completing the content efficiently. If someone wants to use them as a personal thing to ensure they are doing their personal best, that is great. But with a few exceptions, I don't think damage meters should be used as a metric to judge a groups performance.

    I noticed this exact same thing in WoW too - as raiding becomes the "norm", everyone gets used to using damage meters, and suddenly you have people parsing you while you are leveling and the comparison is not even fair. We are at different points in different builds, the idea that I am going to be balanced so well against someone else is ridiculous. Maybe I am putting more into utility as I level and when I bust out a transmorgify to save your bottom at a critical moment you won't care so much about the 50dps..
    Last edited by kirsch; 02-13-2012 at 07:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts