+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Zigglewort

Thread: Mail Throttling - Fail

Soulwalker

Default Mail Throttling - Fail

Trying to get materials between toons on the same account is unreasonably difficult in Rift. Since there is no shared bank space (I can live with that), the only way to transfer items between toons is via mail. I don't know exactly what the throttling criteria is, but I regularly run into this problem where I get an error message saying that I have sent too many messages. I am sending 7 or 8 messages (I believe) in less than 5 minutes and this seems to trip the throttle trigger. Then I get to sit and stare at the screen...

This is not a good thing for a game, for a player to be sitting there waiting for some unknown period of time or unknown criteria to be met just so items can be transferred. One more message sent and another period of waiting.

If you are doing this to minimize the impact on other players, at least exempt messages between toons on the same account from this limitation. This is unnecessarily aggravating and makes my time in Rift wasteful - not fun.

Ascendant

It could be worse. For a long time (and I don't know if they've changed it) Blizzard implemented a forced 1 hour wait on all mail deliveries. You could buy something from the auction house, and then you had to wait an hour before it would show up in your mailbox. You could mail something to a friend or guildie, and they'd have to wait an hour before they could pick it up from the mailbox.

The mail throttling in Rift was done to counter plat spammers who started abusing the mail system to send out advertisements for their services. I don't know if that sort of thing is still a problem because I haven't seen a plat spam mail in a long, long time. Maybe if it's no longer a concern, the feature could be revisited.

Without a shared bank, using the mail system is the only way to transfer things between characters.

The mail system can already check to see if the recipient is on your account (in the case of cross-faction mails), so if it could also do this check if it is about to reject a mail, and let it through if it is going to the same account, that would be great.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Without a shared bank, using the mail system is the only way to transfer things between characters.

The mail system can already check to see if the recipient is on your account (in the case of cross-faction mails), so if it could also do this check if it is about to reject a mail, and let it through if it is going to the same account, that would be great.
    The thing is, it throttles even when it has checked it's the same account, i.e. mail that can only be sent to the same account. The system used to really hit me hard until I got an account guild and guild bank. However, on the rare occasions I want to move the insane mass of BtA items from one mule to another, which can't be done via the GB, I still get throttled.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 01-27-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    It could be worse. For a long time (and I don't know if they've changed it) Blizzard implemented a forced 1 hour wait on all mail deliveries. You could buy something from the auction house, and then you had to wait an hour before it would show up in your mailbox. You could mail something to a friend or guildie, and they'd have to wait an hour before they could pick it up from the mailbox.

The mail throttling in Rift was done to counter plat spammers who started abusing the mail system to send out advertisements for their services. I don't know if that sort of thing is still a problem because I haven't seen a plat spam mail in a long, long time. Maybe if it's no longer a concern, the feature could be revisited.
    WoW mail was instant from the AH and between same account toons. Cross account mail took an hour. At least that's how it was last I played a year ago.

Anyway, the WoW implementation tells me that Rift could do something similar to the frequent mail flag.

+ Reply to Thread