+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What about Free--to--Play/item shop from 1-35 and get rid of trial servers?

Default What about Free--to--Play/item shop from 1-35 and get rid of trial servers?

I believe the more the lower level players are entertained, the larger the game population would grow.

And a key issue that limit the fun of lower level players, is a issue that plague most THEMEPARK MMORPG such as this game.

It's the fact that as the game gets older, more and more players each higher levels and depopulating lower level contents.

Well if the lower level areas could be repopulated, maybe more new comers will enjoy the game and become interested in leveling up to max level, instead of taking a early quit.

In WoW, Blizzard has confirmed that as time went on into a more deep endgame concept that they took, new players would quit the game before reaching level 20.

Well I am sure Trion doesn't want this same thing to happen in Rift. Some people would argue that WoW has fast leveling, so why is it that a player would be hampered by level grind before reaching level 20?

There has to be other reasons for this, and I believe it's due to the world feeling empty and dull as a low level character.

Using the Free to play model for low level contents, can help speed up the queue for low level Warfronts, and Dungeons.

And don't forget, it could make Dynamic Events more interesting and massive in lower level zones like it was back in Beta.

That feeling was epic back then, but post release, those early level zone events are super dull because we never have enough interested players to do them together.

The faster the lower level queues(PvP/PvE) and the more larger the scale the dynamic events are, and the more players available for group quest,

The more fun the game would be lower level players. More fun = more likely to stay and sub for level 50+ contents... Profit...

The game has two models.

Sub model:
    In this model, it's the same as it current is. These players don't have access to the itemshop that free to play players do. Since it's not needed. Levels 1-50 available.

Freemium Model:
    In this model, players have access to level 1-35, and access to all dungeons and warfronts of those level ranges. Freemium item shop is available to unlock certain features per month. Certain zones are closed off. Can't trade with sub players.

Example of Itemshop for Freemium players:

*Unlock additional zones within the 1-35 range (as new leveling zones are added to the world)

*Rent mount for a month

*Soul Repair consumables

*Bank Slot access per month

*access to Auction House per month

*individual wardrobe part options to switch gear look

*Soul rebuilder (respec)

Any other ideas for a shop for the freemiums included.

But the idea is to blend both trial Servers with normal servers..

Yay +Rift!!!

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Ascendant

No thanks. <inserts comment about this guy's sig>

That seems like a really bad idea.

Their current setup appears to be highly profitable and producing an incredible rate of content development. I'm happy with that.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I'd rather just have some form of unlimited Trial with a cap of level 20 or something.

You're right about how depopulated lower level zones get as people hit level cap... Not even being a year old though, I don't see F2P as being an option right now for Rift.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Telaran

No thank you!

As soon as item shop BS comes into an MMO, it's pretty much ruined. Want to play a F2P MMO, go pick one and play it. Rift is a great MMO and does not need a Cash Shop/F2P model, Trion brings this into play they will lose a lot of good people from Rift, (My whole guild would be gone, we are not lovers of F2P models and have all came from MMO's that went F2P in some sort of way - EQ2, LOTRO, Etc) but I suppose it will bring plenty of freeloaders and idiots to Rift...................No Thank you!

Sorry about the small rant, I despise F2P models of MMO. They ruin the game mostly.

Some server mergers may be a way better option for the low pop servers. My server is doing very well, so merging low pop ones together should help the issue.

/rant off

Cheers

Tanvaras - 50 Mage
    Last edited by Tanvaras; 01-12-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added text

Plane Touched

Yeah, that sounds horrendous.

That sounds like a f2p browser game. No thanks.
    Even free cost too much now

To be fair, I'm still quite liking CoH as F2P plus item shop. But I'm just staying subbed and taking advantage of the higher rate of content development...

Their whole business model is different from Trion's, though. ncsoft is a lot less tolerant of excellence than Trion is, and seems basically opposed to devs working on things without a short-term payoff.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooope.

man you really should just go play those other games you keep bringing up. First your post about crafting systems now this. LOTRO F2P great story enriched game. BIG time pocket sink when you decide you have to have the new cloak or that great mount. Rift does not need to go F2P nor is it as dead as one makes it. Its called people cant get along on a shard so they move then move then move because they want the solo experience or the we did it first experience. (an illusion after all because shard first does not equal world wide or region first) and other such factors. And trial accounts unlimited? really you want the gold selling plat spamming freaks to just be unlimited in what they can do?

Banned

Why not just make the trial shards F2P instead, at half the usual XP rate, and only up to level 30 or 35. You can only transfer to a regular shard if you have a valid sub.

Simple, could implement it without much testing, and gives you access to far more content than you would need to try out if the game is worth buying a subscription for.

Item shops and pay to win ruin games.

"What about Free--to--Play"

stoped reading right there. if rift goes ftp ill insta quit no matter how great the game is and im sure im not the only 1. ill just go back to my dusty ps3

edit: just to clarify when i hit 50 i reroll so your 1 to 35 idea is definatly no good to people like me either and also this would just open the door for them to turn the entire game into ftp cause you cant just make part of it ftp. i dont think thats possible and they already got free trial to 20 thats good enough for them
    Last edited by puredeath; 01-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by puredeath View Post
    "What about Free--to--Play"

stoped reading right there. if rift goes ftp ill insta quit no matter how great the game is and im sure im not the only 1. ill just go back to my dusty ps3

edit: just to clarify when i hit 50 i reroll so your 1 to 35 idea is definatly no good to people like me either and also this would just open the door for them to turn the entire game into ftp cause you cant just make part of it ftp. i dont think thats possible and they already got free trial to 20 thats good enough for them
    I think they have a time limited trial to 15 . . . Plus for alts you would have a valid sub, so you could do your own characters on the real servers. Only the actual trial players would play on trial shards unless they came in on a friend invite. Seems to me that's the best of both worlds.

I really don't like the idea. I support making zones levels that scales characters to that zone and I think that would give some incentive to come back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast