+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: character appearance

Default character appearance

this is probably a wasted effort, but i really wanted to discuss how trion can improve character appearance in rift. it's obvious that they understand that character appearance is important because they implemented the wardrobe feature and gave us the ability to dye our armor. they've also given us a small smattering of costumes. this gives us a bit of customizability.

however, the ability to customize your character remains small because the options they give us are really limited. here are the issues that i see.

1) dyes look different on different items and don't always dye all of the parts
    2) there aren't enough costumes to give us true variety.
    3) there is no ability to change the base appearance of your toon once it's created.
    4) the ability to customize is greatly limited by class.
    5) many of the vanity items are just plain silly and people may wear them for a bit, but then put them away.

and lastly, and this is the most important one, as trion could give us 10x the amount of armor looks and it still wouldn't matter if they keep up the way they are going. this would be because...

most of the armor sets out there are just plain fugly. really really fugly.

in any given armor class there are a few items that are moderately attractive and you see those over and over and over again. lol. i mean, wow, who the hell designed these sets? imho, trion really needs to hire someone else, obviously whoever was doing this isn't capable. or it could just be that we have a bunch of fashion impaired guys creating armor looks. in which case, hire someone with some fashion sense to design these sets. i'm sorry, but a lot of the armor looks really are THAT ugly.

and honestly, some of the hairstyles are not much better.

it could be that i'm the only one who thinks this. if so, i apologize for wasting the forum's time. if not...maybe we could start a thread for ideas on how they could fix the existing problems and implement new ones for great customizability. i could, periodically, smoosh them together to make a longer list.

i'll start with my own ideas.

1) trion needs to hire someone who has an idea of what actually looks good or...
    2) have a monthly (or weekly) contest where members of the community get to submit looks they've found or drawn that fit in with the medieval themes and the community can vote on them to decide a group of finalists. trion can then choose from among these to create items for the game as a costume or armor set (i do realize that there are meshing limitations). this would be a fun democratization of the game and would be very different from most games.
    3) do the same with hairstyles.
    4) make dye work the same on all armor, and make sure that all pieces of any item are dye-able.
    5) people can already buy the base armor sets for any class, maybe you could make all armor sets available to all classes.
    6) have a barbershop to change hair and anything that would be easily change-able in RL (make-up for instance)
    7) enough with the creature wrapped heads. make the vanity armor items appealing.
    8) maybe...idk...wigs?

these are all the suggestions that i can come up with right now. if you agree with me, let me know. feel free to add your own ideas, if you have any, in the same format as mine (would be great if you could number them properly as well). i'll make a master list of suggestions as we go along.

also, please "like" this thread if you agree. i'd like to catch the devs attention.

Customization is one area that Rift should improve on, for sure. There was so much not to like about Aion, but one thing Aion got right was customization.

Also for future reference, no where in his thread does is say WOW shoulder pads.

I personally think a lot of the armor looks good. It doesn't mean they couldn't add in a little more variety, but to me much of it actually looks like armor that the player could actually move around in, rather than some suits in other games that look like they could weigh 20 tons.

I'd just like to know when the barber is coming. I'm sort of over purple hair now.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    Also for future reference, no where in his thread does is say WOW shoulder pads.

I personally think a lot of the armor looks good. It doesn't mean they couldn't add in a little more variety, but to me much of it actually looks like armor that the player could actually move around in, rather than some suits in other games that look like they could weigh 20 tons.
    yeah. i like that the armor looks like it could actually be worn irl. i just hate the way it looks. the plate is often okay, and a few pieces of leather armor, but chain and cloth stuff is often truly hideous. they can really do better.

I would love to see some rare costume items that you see some of the main NPC's in the game , but make them drop in maybe T2s and a rare drop to get more people back into them.

More armor models would be good - some are really boring or just ugly ! dont follow eq2 with same armor just different color.

Stop making the event purchase armor looking so ugly ! come on now u want us to go do the special events make it worth while !

I would love a Barber cos frankly my hair is old and I need a new do ;p

Weapon wardrobe slot please !!!!!!!!!!!!! there are some real ugly weapons out there and some real cute costume style ones !

Dye on weapons - would love to make my weapon look a little different than the rest.

Add sparkles to Relic weapons to make them look a little more special than a carbon copy of old weapons please......... heck we work hard long enough to have a weapon that well looks pretty dull. EQ 1 excelled in this...... take note of that Trion.

Would love to be able to dye my mount....... riding around all the same looks rather boring.

And pretty please make player housing with furniture that can be player made, quested or rare dropped....... this is the one thing I loved on eq 2 and miss. ( Yes I raid but I love decorating ;p )
    Tamica lvl 50 cleric of the Faeblight server
    Proud member of "Aegis 11/11 HK , 2 ID Guild

lots of good suggestions tamica. i'm going to update the list. the only thing i'd say is...i think the player housing doesn't belong on the list. maybe make another post? i'd like to keep this about player appearance.

This is what we have so far:

• trion needs to hire someone who has an idea of what actually looks good or...
    • have a monthly (or weekly) contest where members of the community get to submit looks they've found or drawn that fit in with the medieval themes and the community can vote on them to decide a group of finalists. trion can then choose from among these to create items for the game as a costume or armor set (i do realize that there are meshing limitations). this would be a fun democratization of the game and would be very different from most games.
    • do the same with hairstyles.
    • make dye work the same on all armor, and make sure that all pieces of any item are dye-able.
    • people can already buy the base armor sets for any class, maybe you could make all armor sets available to all classes.
    • have a barbershop to change hair and anything that would be easily change-able in RL (make-up for instance)
    • enough with the creature wrapped heads. make the vanity armor items appealing.
    • maybe...idk...wigs?
    • Put special effort into designing cool looking things for events. tamica is right, generally these items are also ugly.
    • Weapon wardrobe slot please !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Dye on weapons
    • Add sparkles to Relic weapons to make them look a little more special than a carbon copy of old weapons
    • Mount dyes

keep them coming guys...

This is one area of the game that a lot of people seem to agree on, so fingers crossed they listen and give us more customisation options (I want that damn barber shop!) I actually think it would be a great idea if Trion ran weekly contests that got players to design costumes or armor sets with a few winning designs making it into the game. Another good idea would be to fire the person who is currently in charge of character customisation because they're either really lazy or blind
    Last edited by Rift Chaser; 12-16-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Chaser View Post
    This is one area of the game that a lot of people seem to agree on, so fingers crossed they listen and give us more customisation options (I want that damn barber shop!) I actually think it would be a great idea if Trion ran weekly contests that got players to design costumes or armor sets with a few winning designs making it into the game. Another good idea would be to fire the person who is currently in charge of character customisation because they're either really lazy or blind
    i'm hoping so also. maybe it's part of their plan. if not, it really requires the community telling trion that this is what it wants.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    Customization is one area that Rift should improve on, for sure. There was so much not to like about Aion, but one thing Aion got right was customization.
    I didn't even play it but this is what I wanted to say, just from reading about it and looking at screens.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Chaser View Post
    This is one area of the game that a lot of people seem to agree on
    Because of the above, I think they should make a monthly(bi-monthly? quarterly?) event.

Get their graphics artist to make a few mock-ups(or take player submissions). Let people vote on which on they want to see in game. The winning outfit gets sent off to the graphics person and added somewhere somehow.

They could even do holiday contests. Do Valentine's Day stuff now, etc. Maybe the design winner gets an advanced copy on one of his characters.

Trion could do a lot by leveraging the power of their community to make their game better.

Quote Originally Posted by Itheron View Post
    Because of the above, I think they should make a monthly(bi-monthly? quarterly?) event.

Get their graphics artist to make a few mock-ups(or take player submissions). Let people vote on which on they want to see in game. The winning outfit gets sent off to the graphics person and added somewhere somehow.

They could even do holiday contests. Do Valentine's Day stuff now, etc. Maybe the design winner gets an advanced copy on one of his characters.

Trion could do a lot by leveraging the power of their community to make their game better.
    i totally agree. i'm sure there are a lot of creative people that play rift. leverage that. i was thinking that the prize for winning could be something like they get to have their main toon's name in the title. how fun would that be? or maybe some vanity items, like a mount or pet. i'm sure trion could think of lots of cool things to reward winners with.

A couple things that stand out to me, one I know I've seen mentioned so far.

1. weapon appearance slots. This is a no brainer. They even have appearance weapons! It's such a tease.

2. Make it so you can have weapon appearance temps stacked with stat enhancing temps. Like all the pretty consumables from world events that make my weapon glow different colors - say for me as a PvP'er, I have to choose between sparkling pretty weapons, or 60 vengeance on each weapon. Obvs I choose vengeance but it hurts inside to have to use my default look on my weapons because vanity effects interfere with stat enhancing effects.

3. Allow us to use any armor our calling can wear for appearance, period. I understand where they were coming from at the start trying to make it so you can only wear your callings natural according armor type as appearance, but that just doesn't matter anymore. The more world events you make like Fae Yule with dresses, and interesting styled jungle warrior looking costumes in Ember Island, the longer this game goes the more we are going to naturally have access to costume items that pretty much look like other armor types than our callings normal worn one. It is just another needless restriction that if I can equip a piece of mage gear that I want for looks, that I can't put it in my wardrobe despite being able to equip it. More time that passes the more the line will blur anyway with more costumes around. My rogue is already wearing a dress because of the Fae Yule event. I look like a mage with daggers, and the world goes on less restrictions.

I kind of like the art style in Rift - it's a welcome relief from the giant shoulders and WWE belts of WOW - but I just wish they wouldn't reuse the same damn models all the time. My Rogue went from wearing full T1 raid gear to... loads of HK drops that look exactly the same. And as you're levelling up it's even worse, I think I had identical looking gear for about three quarters of my playtme on the way to 50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast