+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: character appearance

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTCB View Post
    I kind of like the art style in Rift - it's a welcome relief from the giant shoulders and WWE belts of WOW - but I just wish they wouldn't reuse the same damn models all the time. My Rogue went from wearing full T1 raid gear to... loads of HK drops that look exactly the same. And as you're levelling up it's even worse, I think I had identical looking gear for about three quarters of my playtme on the way to 50.
    This is what I'm talking about when I say the art department or whoever is in charge of this area of the game got lazy. I've seen as many as 4 or 5 different armor sets that all look exactly the same. I mean, is it really so hard to come up with ideas to make them different? I think my suggestion of getting the Rift community involved by having an armor/costume design competition with rewards like titles, exclusive pets etc would be a good way of making the players feel more invested in the game. It would also solve the current problem of there being too many recycled armor models ingame

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebubble View Post
    3) there is no ability to change the base appearance of your toon once it's created.
    7) enough with the creature wrapped heads. make the vanity armor items appealing.
    Yes!

6) have a barbershop to change hair and anything that would be easily change-able in RL (make-up for instance)
    Yes to 'and anything', not to 'easily changeable'.

See, one 'one' character (uno; 1; sometimes '!'), I forgot to move the character height slider all the way down. It's driving me nuts, and I didn't realize it until I had loaded her up with all sorts of non-repeatable goodies and awesomeness from world events. I need a De-Tallimofier-6000. I want my Hoover, Lafkin. I want my Hoover now.

8) maybe...idk...wigs?
    There weren't [WTF] tags that I could find, so I used quotes. Wouldn't a barbershop serve the same purpose?

Trion has addressed the dye issue before. The dye color issues have to do with a limitation in the Gamebryo engine. Dyes cannot replace a color. It is treated as an overlay. So, if an item is light blue, it will never dye properly a full black. If it's naturally dark red, it won't dye full white and it can throw off other colors that don't scale against red so well.

I too wish there was a fix, but there's not one without having a fundamental redesign of the engine's module... which I don't think is Trion's area of expertise. Although a company might have some really bright C and XML programmers, it's not their responsibility or realm of expertise to rewrite something they don't like in the Dreamweaver program.

That's the issue at hand here really.

I'm still waiting for more nose-models.
    It doesn't make any sense that only the Eth females have pretty noses.

Quote Originally Posted by EranB View Post
    I'm still waiting for more nose-models.
    It doesn't make any sense that only the Eth females have pretty noses.
    Oh my god, I thought I was the only one.
    ~Quiescent

Also the dyes are very expensive for low level characters, especially when you are replacing your armor all the time. It would be fun to be able to add a little color for less cost. Some of the dyes are outrageous!

(It was also before I learned how to use my wardrobe slot, I dyed some armor green and got it looking good and immediately got something better. Now I know I can wardrobe it, but still).

Part of the fun of a game for me is changing my characters look.

Quote Originally Posted by notebene View Post
    There weren't [WTF] tags that I could find, so I used quotes. Wouldn't a barbershop serve the same purpose?
    i thought maybe they could add unusual hairstyles that way. something different than the usual styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Trion has addressed the dye issue before. The dye color issues have to do with a limitation in the Gamebryo engine. Dyes cannot replace a color. It is treated as an overlay. So, if an item is light blue, it will never dye properly a full black. If it's naturally dark red, it won't dye full white and it can throw off other colors that don't scale against red so well.

I too wish there was a fix, but there's not one without having a fundamental redesign of the engine's module... which I don't think is Trion's area of expertise. Although a company might have some really bright C and XML programmers, it's not their responsibility or realm of expertise to rewrite something they don't like in the Dreamweaver program.

That's the issue at hand here really.
    so, what if they offered an uncolored version of each armor type? as far as i can see, there appears to be only about 10 armor looks for each armor class, why not just have a white version of each? at least everything would dye the same if it started out as white. i'm sure there are ways to work around the game limitations.
    Last edited by beelzebubble; 12-18-2011 at 11:44 AM.

i added your suggestions. i was trying to use the list function so that i could just copy and paste and continue. but, nooooo...it doesn't work that way. so, i had to rewrite it. let me know if i missed anything important.

here's the updated list:

--trion needs to hire someone who has an idea of what actually looks good or...

--have a monthly (or weekly) contest where members of the community get to submit looks they've found or drawn that fit in with the medieval themes and the community can vote on them to decide a group of finalists. trion can then choose from among these to create items for the game as a costume or armor set (i do realize that there are meshing limitations). this would be a fun democratization of the game and would be very different from most games.

--do the same with hairstyles.

--make dye work the same on all armor, and make sure that all pieces of any item are dye-able.

--people can already buy the base armor sets for any class, maybe you could make all armor sets available to all classes.

--have a barbershop to change hair and anything that would be easily change-able in RL (make-up for instance)

--have a transmogrifier that allows people to customize their toon's base appearance

--enough with the creature wrapped heads. make the vanity armor items appealing.

--maybe...idk...wigs?

--Put special effort into designing cool looking things for events. tamica is right, generally these items are also ugly.

--Weapon wardrobe slot please !!!!!!!!!!!!

--Dye on weapons

--Add sparkles to Relic weapons to make them look a little more special than a carbon copy of old weapons

--Mount dyes

--make weapon appearance temporary enhancements stackable with stat enhancements.

--better noses for the toons

--cheaper dyes
    Last edited by beelzebubble; 12-18-2011 at 11:46 AM.

I approve this initiative alot!

Altho I'm sure Trion can't do this all, it gives an idea of what needs to be done in this game with the community giving good feedback =)

Thnx beezleboob =) !

(ps. wish u could add to the list, tone guards down xD)

Brobey, Cleric Healer, EU.

I didn't read every post so if this has been said already then I apologize. I don't really care much how armor looks. But when it comes to the wardrobe I'd like for Trion to give us more non-armor sets.

Oh the things I would give to dye my RoS Conq mount... a-la the horse of a different color from The Wizard of Oz.

Also, it drives me crazy that I have to go shopping for a new mount to match my recently dyed HK gear. -.- I can't stand it when things don't match.

+1 to mount dyes.
    4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA 3/3 IG
    All HMs Cleared, FT & EE Conq

Most customization is always good and I think the FUTURE of MMO's is customization. Customize your house, you horse, your armor everything... That's where I think Zynga get it right. (Yes, the FB people) In reality, those people are the perfect audience for an MMO. Simple, fun, VERY social... isn't that what an MMO is at the heart? and LOTS of goodies to customize.. and also... a grind.. just like an MMO.

Point is, Rift should have a whole patch dedicated to just adding more customization and STUFF to do it with. No one wants to abandon a unique character... so allow it to be unique by diversifying the customization.

As for the armor... I LOVE Rift armor. Some of it is bland... but I will take bland over power ranger suits make of crystal ANY DAY.. over that and skulls.. what is it with skulls?
    Last edited by ShinEmperor; 12-19-2011 at 12:19 AM.

so, what if they offered an uncolored version of each armor type? as far as i can see, there appears to be only about 10 armor looks for each armor class, why not just have a white version of each? at least everything would dye the same if it started out as white. i'm sure there are ways to work around the game limitations.
    That's an option... but white stuff in this engine doesn't actually color well either. It can be white or black. If you use other colors... it looks WEIRD. Check out the sandcovered set sometime and see what I mean.

Anything can be fixed given two things: Manpower and time. Both of those cost money. I am just a player like you guys... I don't know how much of that it would take to get it adjusted or if it is even feasible.

Plane Walker

It's funny, anything that doesn't affect my stats or something I wouldn't usually be bothered with - But I do bother with customising my look so I look cool
    I was thinking myself how I'd like the game to have..

- A Barber to change my hair!
    - Plastic surgeon to change my face maybe - Although I'm really sick of my hair so want to change that first.
    - Mount dye's wanted here too
    - A wardrobe slot for weapons - this is an obvious one that's missing.
    I mean there are candy cane weapons which are cool but absolutely pointless as I lose over 700SP when I equip it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast