+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rift needs the ability to disable XP gains

Telaran

Default Rift needs the ability to disable XP gains

I often find myself Not playing rift because I dont want to out level a friend.

If they gave me the option to disable xp gains i could play and harvest nodes do zone events run instances for gear and continue on our quest chains when my friends log on.

If the argument is people dont want twinked characters playing warfronts you can simply disable the option to join one while having Xp disabled. which would force players to gain xp and level out of the brackets like normal if they choose to do them.

Although i think twinking adds more to the warfronts then not being able to do it. Cus seriously who enjoys pvp at 50.

So now i start my crusade for the option to lock Xp which should already be in game.

Another MMO i play City of Heroes has this option, it's great for doing taskforces (dungeons) without outleveling current quest strands i am working on while earning the (non-exp) rewards of that particular dungeon.

However, Rift is different, where i can see people grinding out those dungeons with exp off to gather certain gear or whatever other reasons people find. Not really a huge con since dungeon ques on lower levels could possible pick up again.

I'd love to see a no exp option to keep pace with friends, but i may also fear what i could bring. People always find a way to exploit stuff ^_^

Telaran

What is there to fear having an actual community pre 50 while leveling its rare to see other people questing or running the zone events pre 50 this would give much needed life to rifts lower level game

Quote Originally Posted by Monkerlotus View Post
    Another MMO i play City of Heroes has this option, it's great for doing taskforces (dungeons) without outleveling current quest strands i am working on while earning the (non-exp) rewards of that particular dungeon.

However, Rift is different, where i can see people grinding out those dungeons with exp off to gather certain gear or whatever other reasons people find. Not really a huge con since dungeon ques on lower levels could possible pick up again.

I'd love to see a no exp option to keep pace with friends, but i may also fear what i could bring. People always find a way to exploit stuff ^_^

i should specify; I would fear increased farming of mining and foraging spots, although it would take a VERY steady and persistant stream of farming to hurt me, it could still affect my leveling experience for the worse... i guess the devs would have to implement this feature to ever really know

The levelling process is pretty fast in this game, and aside from a very small number of people who deliberately want to under-level so they can complete the level-appropriate quest chains in zones, I can't see that there'd be a huge demand for it. It'd be nice, but there's far more pressing things I'd rather the devs work on first.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkerlotus View Post
    The speed of levelling in this game makes farming gear pretty much worthless. Why bother running one dungeon a dozen times with XP off just to collect all your drops, when you could have gained five levels in that time and made all those drops look like garbage?

The real problem for me while I'm playing alts is that the decent gear rewards from quests usually come at the end of long chains - which I never actually get to do, because I'm already over-levelled and moving on to the next zone. Short of slowing down the entire levelling process (which would be equally bad) there's not really much of a way around that - level gains and gear rewards are consistently out of step with each other.

Telaran

As far as dev time how hard would it be to add an option the the player portrait where when you right click then click on disable xp i know it would take some work but it cant be nearly as much as other things

The levelling process is pretty fast in this game, and aside from a very small number of people who deliberately want to under-level so they can complete the level-appropriate quest chains in zones, I can't see that there'd be a huge demand for it. It'd be nice, but there's far more pressing things I'd rather the devs work on first.

The speed of levelling in this game makes farming gear pretty much worthless. Why bother running one dungeon a dozen times with XP off just to collect all your drops, when you could have gained five levels in that time and made all those drops look like garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTCB View Post
    The real problem for me while I'm playing alts is that the decent gear rewards from quests usually come at the end of long chains - which I never actually get to do, because I'm already over-levelled and moving on to the next zone. Short of slowing down the entire levelling process (which would be equally bad) there's not really much of a way around that - level gains and gear rewards are consistently out of step with each other.
    i only run into leveling problems with questing like you describe is deciding between the 3 zones they give us to go 44-50 and scarwood which ive always finished 3 levels ahead of the spawns i have to fight for some reason, although i love the mobs in scarwood and mindlessly grind there quite often...

but yeah i do HATE skipping quest lines to keep even levels, i would enjoy being able to play ALL of it and gain more notoriety through quests

Then you'd have people locking their XP at x9 levels (19, 29, 39, 49), getting the best gear for the level by farming instances, and then "having fun" in warfronts -- and you'd have the same situation as in the level 50 warfronts with people in rank 8 gear.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTCB View Post
    You sort of answer yourself.

Yes leveling is so stupidly fast and progression so quick that the progression itself negates progression.

The problem here is you are looking at progression as being a higher level, that is the major problem in MMO's today, people see themselves as being stronger at 50 than they are at 30, while I prefer to look at being the strongest I can be at 30, before progressing to 31, as better than simply being a higher level.

Would I prefer to be 30 dressed in hard earned gear or 50 in a paper suit?

The latter is the strongest most likely, but the former, to me is more progression.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 10-09-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    Then you'd have people locking their XP at x9 levels (19, 29, 39, 49), getting the best gear for the level by farming instances, and then "having fun" in warfronts -- and you'd have the same situation as in the level 50 warfronts with people in rank 8 gear.
    Just give these people their own warfront. WoW did it, and it works perfectly. Or you can disable entering a warfront if exp is disable. Simple process.
    Last edited by Beepbeepboop; 10-09-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Ascendant

I would certainly support this. I only play 1 to 50 so being able to control the levelling speed would really help. Sadly if you do all the quests, work your crafting, enjoy the Rifts and invasions you are going to be so over-levelled by the time you hit the next zone it really is no fun. All I do these days is fight greens and I really would love the XP to be changed or the ability to lock or remove XP. For me I would gladly take a level away from my 50s rather than do this Attunement thing. Maybe this could be a planar reward or something that you wear a trinket that degrades XP or locks it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by nipples View Post
    Just give these people their own warfront. WoW did it, and it works perfectly. Or you can disable entering a warfront if exp is disable. Simple process.
    It doesn't work perfectly in WoW. Twink brackets are dead because people who are interested in this playstyle are spread out over too many battlegroups (though there seems to be some effort now to combine them, after two or so years). Plus, it's not uncommon to see that a twinked out character grabs the flag in XP-on WSG and never turns it in, thus zero XP gained (but that could be addressed).

But yes, that would be a possible solution, but with Rift's subscriber base being relatively small, it would seem like a stillbirth and not worth the effort. The number of people wanting to lock their XP for non-PvP reasons is probably extremely small.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    Thats why i said no joining warfronts with locked Xp. turning the xp back on to join you will out level the warfront tier in no time.i dont think people would bother with twinking when they cant stay in the tier very long.. if they do then so be it if someone spends 40 hours gearing out a toon they should have an advantage over someone who is passing through in green armor.

I dont understand why people who work on there toons should be punished because they can kill someone who is leveling as fast as possible and ignoring content they can use to gear up aswell

I don't think the PvP aspect really needs to come into this - it's not like you can't twink your toons with decent gear anyway as it is. If someone wants to grind at the top of their tier then that's up to them - levelling is so fast at the moment that you can just level to 50 and PvP there anyway. Just my opinion on it.

What i'd really like to see is a function where you can switch your exp gains pre-50 into PA gain instead (sort of like EQ2) so you can 'progress' your character without out-levelling a friend. Of course, you'd only have access to the PA once you're 50. That would remain the same.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast