+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Individual soul chronicles are the solution!

Rift Disciple

Default Individual soul chronicles are the solution!

One of, if not the strongest feature of rift is the dynamic class system and the versatility of that system. The ability to switch between different roles quickly and save builds, action bars, macros, and more is something I see no new mmo in development not borrowing at least part of.

The problem with this great system is, as a player, I feel no connection to the specs i have created. After all, they are supposed to be great heroes' souls! The old quests to close a rift and fight a representation of that hero in order to unlock a new soul to be used weren't perfect, and in fact could be annoying if there either weren't any rifts available to close or you needed to make a new spec quickly. However, just purchasing the souls from a trainer for gold further prevents the playerbase from feeling connected to the great system in the game.

The solution i propose is already in the game, the chronicle system! An individual chronicle for every soul in the game seems like a lot of work, but how much is it really? Chronicles use existing terrain and for the most part existing character and enemy models. The stories for each soul are already developed and have been since beta! You can find them by accessing the main rift page and navigating to individual class pages, there is a little story for every hero whose soul the players use to play the game! The chronicle could literally be an in game version of that story.

The issues I can see with these new chronicles would be: would you use them to unlock new souls or would they only be playable at level 50, can or should trion restrict these chronicles so that a class can only visit their class chronicles, and the desire to bring more players into the world not send them to more dungeons.

I would prefer that individual soul chronicles would be used to unlock new souls to be used, and would all become available around level 15 and tuned for that level range. However, adding complication to the basic leveling process this late in the game could be problematic, so tuning the chronicles for use at level 50 simply to provide lore and give the players a deeper connection to their characters is perfectly acceptable.

I think that these individual soul chronicles should be limited to the class that can use the souls. It would be in fact that classes lore and help explain all the abilities they had been using while playing the game. An easy solution to players wanting to see other classes chronicles would be to tune the instance for a solo player, but allow two players to enter it. The purpose of these dungeons is not to be incredibly challenging so two man zerging them would not ruin that, and it would allow players who are interested to see all of them.

The third issue is a little more tricky. I think the motivation a player has to actually be in the world as opposed to in a dungeon, warfront, or just sitting in sanctum is one of the weakest parts of rift. Further pushing players away from interacting with one another in the game world should be avoided. I don't have a good or easy solution to it.

In short, trion has put a lot of effort into the lore of rift. This lore is far more difficult to find in game than it should be. Put a system in place for players to connect to their characters and how they use the souls of great heroes.

TL/DR : individual chronicles for the souls in the game, come on you know it would be cool.

actually this seem like a good idea.

also add a chronicle for gaining 3 roles from the off bat, (1 for each trinity role tank/heal/dps) which frees up leveling players to get a role for their favorite combo, while at all time having roles for the three trinity roles at any given time while leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    actually this seem like a good idea.

also add a chronicle for gaining 3 roles from the off bat, (1 for each trinity role tank/heal/dps) which frees up leveling players to get a role for their favorite combo, while at all time having roles for the three trinity roles at any given time while leveling.
    I think if they did try to go about doing this, that you would/could have a Chronicle for each class, and then have random bosses with each soul type. Maybe 3 bosses total, and then it would be a daily to try to fight all of them, and get all their stories.

If it would be intended for lower levels, then possibly have it so that they could pick 3 specific souls and set it to repeatable with souls locking out after completion. Once you're done it's just a random daily. (Making it a daily means that peeps have to go out and do something else once there done helping a bit with one of the issues brought up.)

I like the idea of a Chronicle for each soul. I would not like it if the soul (chronicle) is only accessible by certain callings. I would like to play the lore of each soul.

When I did the Chronicle for the PA the first thing I thought of was if Trion could add Chronicle stories for our Characters. Something to increase the lore of the game and the story of it.

That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by July13th View Post
    I like the idea of a Chronicle for each soul. I would not like it if the soul (chronicle) is only accessible by certain callings. I would like to play the lore of each soul.
    well thats sort of the point of it, it seem.

each calling has its own souls. so if each soul gets its own chronicle, that would also mean its calling specific.

Rift Disciple

I like the idea but I say take it a little step further.

The chronicle could be accessed at 13th level by class or any level after that. Scale the chronicle by level of the player entering it. At level 50 unlock all the chronicles for any class to be played by any character.

The chronicle should be in the perspective of the hero who the soul is based off and their story. The reason to allow anyone to play the chronicle post 50 is so that people can get a taste for some of the other classes which can lead to them doing alternative characters or letting them know that play style is not their thing.

I would also like to see more history of the game in the chronicles allowing the player to take the part of hero's in the story. This would be a great immersion tool.

Rift Disciple

There was some good feedback for this idea from other players. I really have wanted to be able to see the stories for each heroic soul we use to play the game since I was playing it in beta. The lore books you can get in the tutorial zones and stories already crafted are great. Let us experience them!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I love this idea. I didn't much care for the soul quests, but that was because they were so generic. Something like this would lend a lot of immersion to the ascended soul system.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

i like this

Rift Disciple

With new games on the horizon I think rift really needs a way to make the innovations it has made to the mmorpg genre really stand out. The soul system hands down is the best one of these in the game thus far.

I promise this isnt a shameless self bumb

Soulwalker

This system is definetely something I would love to see in game. lore is a very important thing in any game I play and this seems like a great way to implement it further, especially the fact that its to do with the souls. With the way it is now I barely knew each soul had an ancient hero until Karene started speaking through the stones and something clicked. This is a great way for people to learn and include themselves with their class and at the same time not to have to read up on this on the website etc.
    Great suggestion! <3

ive wanted this since they removed the soul quests. the soul quests were kind of boring, but the story wasnt. they just needed a more interesting way to implement the quests.

and this is the answer.

Rift Disciple

Can anyone think of any other issues that would really crop up with this? How much dev time would actually be spent making them all told?

I also thought of something that might be cool wanted to bounce it off people. What if these individual chronicles existed for each soul and they were decided to be level 50 only, either because too much of the game population already has their souls or a fundamental coding issue requiring chronicles to be max level. Could there then be a system that made finishing one of your calling's soul chronicles unlock another? Could make eight progressively more difficult instances for solo players to undertake, leading up to a decent reward for finishing all of them. You could even design them based on needing the abilities of the specific soul chronicle you are in! For example, needing to drain mana in the dominator chronicle or needing something to be off tanked in the beast master chronicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Davroth View Post
    Can anyone think of any other issues that would really crop up with this? How much dev time would actually be spent making them all told?
    I think the idea wouldn't work if it was required in order to get your souls. It would require Trion to come up with 32 Chronicles all at the same time. It would also be kinda a waste to create 8 (calling only) chronicles that the player would outlevel very quickly and not have a lot of replayability especially since almost all players already have all their souls already. If Trion made these Chronicles at max level they would increase the likelihood that players would replay them and would also allow them to release the Chronicles sporadically so they can take their time to release quality content.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast