+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Souls for Roles" - Separate role sets based on selected Role Archetype.

Default "Souls for Roles" - Separate role sets based on selected Role Archetype.

Speaking as a Cleric (though I know other classes like Rogue and Mage also suffer this), I am totally gimped having only five role slots available. The cost of the 5th slot was almost cruel, and it still is not enough.

I find myself not only having to bookmark my favorite useful builds in a browser-based 3rd party soul tree builder to come back to later, but constantly remapping all my buttons and macros (which are also limited).

It is become a constant exercise in frustration and inadequacy.

I propose we implement a system where instead of switching between up to 5 role specs, the player is given a new option to set their current Role Archetype. These archetypes would be Tank, Healer, DPS, or Support.

From there, you would have a set of up to 4 (?) roles or build trees available to purchase specific for that Role Archetype. So, I can have up to 4 (?) roles while in "Tank" mode, 4 (?) in "Healer" mode, etc., all separate.

This would better allow for a level of effective flexibility, to facilitate a more robust player experience; one where players are encouraged to raid, run dungeons, take part in invasion events, and PVP, without being put off by the hassle of constant button remapping and macro re-assignment, which tends to gimp people into a particular routine.

I believe this is more in line with the level of diversity encouraged and intended by the soul system. As encounters become more diverse and varied, so too must the soul system, otherwise the whole idea is defeated in a sense.
    Last edited by AlienDiplomat; 10-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    "Do while thou wilt shall be the hole in the law."

or you can learn how to get the most out of what you have and not worry about that extra 50dps you get from min maxing every single encounter. every single player should not be expected to have to cover every single role available.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    or you can learn how to get the most out of what you have and not worry about that extra 50dps you get from min maxing every single encounter. every single player should not be expected to have to cover every single role available.
    The very presence of a suggestion forum precludes your derisive and unhelpful response. If you don't have anything constructive to add to a discussion, can we please avoid chiming in with our holier-than-thou attitudes about how "if you don't like it ****."

The suggestion forum is here to make suggestions. Say something useful or move on.

Against my better judgement I am going to respond to your blatant troll post, if for no other reason than it keeps the thread bumped, and I really think Trion needs to look at this.

You make the incorrect assumption that the reason anyone would want more roles MUST be because they are "attempting to min max an extra 50dps." This may be why you personally re-spec soul trees, but some people actually enjoy the flexibility that was the hallmark of Rift's soul system in the first place.

Different spec's offer completely different abilities. Different abilities means different strategies, means different play style. I know it may seem alien, but some people actually ENJOY trying new things. Maybe I want a build with some crowd control, some stuns on my mele hits perhaps, or maybe a magic resist heavy build for my tank, for fights that are primarily magic damage?

Also, some people, as I mentioned Clerics most often, play numerous Role Archetypes. Tank, heals, DPS... We aren't trying to "min max," we're trying to make the most out of our character's abilities.

About the worst thing you could possibly do in this game is "just make the most" of some cookie cutter spec and ignore the whole reason for the soul system and what makes it unique. That would truly be Rift fail.

For raiders or creative players who actually enjoy playing different roles and having a build with abilities appropriate to different situations, the present layout is just too limiting.

I will agree that it can be rather limiting sometimes to only have 5 roles. There are numerous instances in which switching to a different spec (under the same thing you were already doing DPS/SUP/Tank) would be incredibly useful. With only 5 it makes though switches harder, since you really have to balance out of the 5 exactly what might work for all types of fights instead of specializing for a particular fight. Expanding the 5 by maybe 1 or 2 would be nice. I don't think we need as many as you suggested though. 4x4 would be 16...and that's a little over the top and would mean half your team (or more) is flip flopping specs every fight lol.

I support the idea of having much many roles. One of the USPs of Rift is the abundance of combinations, but the fun of trying them out stops at the trainer and the obligatory 20 following minutes of re-setting bars / dragging macros on bars.

The is no reason to limit a working USP. I don't even see the problem in people changing the spec every trash group since it takes only few seconds.

+ Reply to Thread