+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fix the failure mode for the PvP auto-flag feature

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Fix the failure mode for the PvP auto-flag feature

I recently managed to find some hole in the "PvP Auto Flag" feature. I have the auto flag unchecked, but while fighting an invasion I got flagged. This appeared to involve an otherwise-neutral Guardian NPC. I'm not sure what specifically resulted in flagging, but...

It seems to me that this is being handled poorly. The point of the auto flag disable is to totally disable flagging. Not to disable several ways of flagging that have been thought of. It seems to me that right now, there are checks for this at the point of deciding whether or not an ability triggers, but that if an ability misses those checks, the ability can flag the user anyway. It seems like it would be better if the check were at the point of setting the flag -- if the auto flag option is unchecked, don't set the flag, and maybe log that something happened which would have, since that suggests a bug.

The harm done to the game if my AoE splash from fighting an invasion can damage an NPC without me being flagged for retaliation is pretty minor. The harm done to the game if strongly PvP-averse players get flagged is relatively big. I'm not going to fight invasions near mixed-faction camps anymore since I don't know what triggered the flag or how to avoid it...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I recently managed to find some hole in the "PvP Auto Flag" feature. I have the auto flag unchecked, but while fighting an invasion I got flagged. This appeared to involve an otherwise-neutral Guardian NPC. I'm not sure what specifically resulted in flagging, but...

It seems to me that this is being handled poorly. The point of the auto flag disable is to totally disable flagging. Not to disable several ways of flagging that have been thought of. It seems to me that right now, there are checks for this at the point of deciding whether or not an ability triggers, but that if an ability misses those checks, the ability can flag the user anyway. It seems like it would be better if the check were at the point of setting the flag -- if the auto flag option is unchecked, don't set the flag, and maybe log that something happened which would have, since that suggests a bug.

The harm done to the game if my AoE splash from fighting an invasion can damage an NPC without me being flagged for retaliation is pretty minor. The harm done to the game if strongly PvP-averse players get flagged is relatively big. I'm not going to fight invasions near mixed-faction camps anymore since I don't know what triggered the flag or how to avoid it...
    When you say neutral, do you mean green or yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

General of Telara

If you dont have it changed in your settings as perma off, and its just disabled in the character portrait it will still mean when u aoe an area and an opposing faction is in it, u will get flagged.

If its disabled properly, no matter how much aoe u do to the opposing faction if even they are perma flagged as pvp, you wont get flagged yourself.

I hope i explained what i mean, cant remem,ber where the pvp option is in settings, but its their u have to have it unticked/ticked which ever is opposite to what it is now

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elgarr View Post
    If you dont have it changed in your settings as perma off, and its just disabled in the character portrait it will still mean when u aoe an area and an opposing faction is in it, u will get flagged.

If its disabled properly, no matter how much aoe u do to the opposing faction if even they are perma flagged as pvp, you wont get flagged yourself.

I hope i explained what i mean, cant remem,ber where the pvp option is in settings, but its their u have to have it unticked/ticked which ever is opposite to what it is now
    I know how it is supposed to work. I AoE heal during rift events, I don't get flagged. I AoE in towns, and I don't get flagged. This was a yellow NPC with <Guardian> under her name, and somehow I got flagged.

I'm not saying I don't know how to use the auto-flag feature, I'm saying it has a bug. This is not the first bug we've found in it, and probably won't be the last. Thus, my suggestion that they change the underlying implementation so the bugs are less annoying.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread