+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Planar Reavers

Sword of Telara

Default Planar Reavers

I believe that, when a rift or invasion or whatever is left unattended for too long, there should exist a chance for a massive planar monstrosity that I've termed the Planar Reaver, will form. Once formed, this behemoth and accompanying army will go on a cross-country rampage towards one of the 2 capitol cities - possibly determined by a weighted population query - and attempt to assail the walls of the capital.

Now, at this point, I'm conflicted on what should happen. It's entirely possible that the guards should be sufficient to end its rampage. Maybe that's required. But in the back of my head, I kind of want to see the Planar Reaver reach the center of the city (that red thing in Epoch Plaza or the floating sourcestone thing in Sanctum) and rip a rift open to the accompanying element. As the rift opens, the dragon of the aligning element would "appear" in a disembodied form and mock the faction in question while at the same time sealing their faction leaders behind a wall. This could simply be a wall across the throne in Sanctum's case, or a wall across Orphiel's Spire and Catari Command. At this point, you would have 15-20 minutes to complete a brief but intense rift event and/or slay the Reaver. If the event fails after 15-20 minutes, your faction heroes break the barrier and bail you out, restoring the city to normal, while the dragon retreats chuckling to themselves about the state of your defenses. If the event succeeds, the dragon rages as their rift seals and the faction leaders congratulate you on how badass you are.

The reward from this would, I assume, be Inscribed Sourcestone and a chance at some BoE epics. If the colossus is killed BEFORE it reaches the city, you'd get slightly (25%?) more sourcestone and maybe a slightly higher chance at the epics. Maybe a vanity pet too. Incentivize the hell out of it.

Pros
    Adds a consequence to letting the rifts go out of control, even if in the end it doesn't have any lasting effect
    Faction leaders get to do things!
    You get a face-to-holodeck experience with the main antagonists
    Players enjoy shiny events and explosions. River of Souls was pretty entertaining, even though it's tarnished by the fact that it only happened once. Perhaps it's only possible for it to happen once or twice a day?

Cons
    Server stability?
    Possible cases of lower levels getting rolled (the game was advertised with this being possible though so...)
    Possible to make the capitol unusable for semi-extended periods of time
    Is trans-zone pathing even possible?

Soulwalker

Really cool idea.

Personal input:

Issue 1:
    - Lower level players getting rolled.
    Solutions:
    - The mobs can not damage you unless you attack first
    - Mobs target higher level players/NPC so the lower levels can do some damage and feel useful but safe(ish)
    - Have a side entrance into the cities to simply walk around.

Issue 2:
    - Occurrence.
    Solution:
    - Too often would get a little annoying and there are plenty of invasions across the world. If the event would happen less than once per day have a method to contact the players about the event outside of the game if desired (text, email, phone app).

Issue 3:
    - Making parts of the city unusable.
    Solution:
    - The dragon will never go past a certain point of the city. The guards would come out as the same level of the dragon and only be strong enough to stop the dragon at that location and do very little damage. As the guards die new ones will pop out.

Idea 1:
    - Create something know as an "Epic/Expert/... Rift" which will spawn randomly across the entire world and be the level of that zone. If the rift is not closed in a certain amount of time the dragon is summoned and will start walking to the nearest capital city. The dragon would only be the level of the zone at which the rift spawned. This should allow the lower levels to have a little fun.

Idea 2:
    - I think for such rare event special currency should be given to purchase epic items. I really like how many currencies there exist and adding more would just make me happier.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedDragon View Post
    Issue 3:
    - Making parts of the city unusable.
    Solution:
    - The dragon will never go past a certain point of the city. The guards would come out as the same level of the dragon and only be strong enough to stop the dragon at that location and do very little damage. As the guards die new ones will pop out.
    To be completely frank, I think that would defeat the point of a city being under siege. If an elemental horror showed up and opened a rift that allowed a dragon to speak directly, the auctioneers would probably not be in the mood to do take bids from people who are probably being stabbed to death by the planetouched legions.

Sword of Telara

/nonchalantwhistling

I support this idea.

And
    Is trans-zone pathing even possible?
    is totally doable, it has been put in place for 1.3 World Event when Alsbeth and few of her guards were traveling between zones and spawning mayhem.

Do that, make it a week long timer, and youll make your subscribers the happiest players in any game.

BAM, there comes your profit, Trion!

Shadowlander

Definitely would like to see this and/or other more random/multi-zone huge boss events.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

I would love to see zone invasion cities that are created from rifts or invasions that are left to do what they like. The beacons would keep growing turning the land into that element and then a city for the planar invasions would actually start to sshow. As it grows in level wanted or other quests would show up asking high levels to help destroy the encrotchment with nice rewards for completeing it.

Rift Disciple

Default only work at peak times

I think this idea would only work at peak times.

As it is - zone events that occur when the server has a low population simply don't get completed - due to lack of numbers in the zone.

As the game gets older - I wonder how Trion is going to manage this issue as there are less people in the lower zones.

Maybe higher levels should get some kind of reward too for taking part in lower level zone events.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Topazfire View Post
    I think this idea would only work at peak times.

As it is - zone events that occur when the server has a low population simply don't get completed - due to lack of numbers in the zone.

As the game gets older - I wonder how Trion is going to manage this issue as there are less people in the lower zones.

Maybe higher levels should get some kind of reward too for taking part in lower level zone events.
    Ideally, this would take place at peak times, or near enough to them. I know Trion has the information in question, it should be an easy matter to set it up so that you (rarely) get a case where "oh, nobody's on? Release the hounds!"

And as for zone events not getting completed... have you logged on recently? Zone events are packed to the brim, because people actually have a reason to do them. If you incentivize it, people will come. To take a cue from another game, when Tol Barad was giving 1.8k honor per win EVERYBODY was showing up. And Tol Barad sucked! If the content is actually fun (which I believe to be the case), there should be very little problem getting people to participate... especially when the fight is being taken to your doorstep.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

Another idea would be somethign like a raid rift, yet it would actually open up and the rift after completeing it would spawn a global boss that would travel to the city, while also spawning rift mobs that would plague the areas making questing and progress grind to halt till the sever or faction gets together and kill the boss that spawned.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    I believe that <snip>
    Great idea. Ask "old school" MMO (EQ) players what one of their most memorable events were, and a LOT would probably say when "the sleeper" was awoken on their server.

This is simply too good of an idea not to try it in some way. The thought of an invading army bearing down on Meridian/Sanctum is simply too good of an idea to pass up on. Acended sniping at the vanguard, and forming a defensive barrier to greet the incoming horde; would be truly fantastic.
    Lemming (formerly Mrhyde@Belmont), Guild Leader of Black Company on Greybriar
    We are Black Company ~~~ See our recruitment thread!

THIS IS HOW I ROLL
    Raids Mon/Tue/Thur 5:30 server time, 9/9, 2/4, 1/3, 1/3

I sent this idea as in-game feedback a couple of months ago, after seeing everyone just sitting around the capitol. I love it.

Sword of Telara

An addendum - after watching a whole lot of zone events, I've come to the realization that, in order for this cross-country planar invader to work, they'd have to be able to continue moving while attacking. Otherwise, the first person to run up to them and attempt to tank him until backup shows up would be able to bring this capitol-threatening beast to a screeching halt. Two ideas about how to solve this.

1. Just like the final boss of Planar Chill, the boss can only be attacked at certain spots on the map, and deals heavy AoE damage to the fortifications that weaken his defenses.

2. He can be attacked at any point, but he has an ungodly amount of HP and will continue running while throwing down thick layers of fire or something.

Soulwalker

Default Listen Trion!

This idea is gold!
    I know I would definitely like to see this implemented!

A great idea. Had something brewing in my mind a long time ago not entirely different. The idea that an unattended/failed invasion would steadily leech through other zones and need to be pushed back, overtaking important hubs.

With regard to the low-level problem, I can see a couple of potential approaches. The simplest is to have the monsters that are generated by the Planar Reaver/"mega invasion" spawn at the level of the zone, allowing lowbies to push it back in their relevant zone. Enemies might be 50 in Stillmoor, but spawn as 18's in Silverwood if it makes it that far.

The second approach is more complicated to implement but more elegant: Enemies whose damage taken/dealt scales to the level of the player fighting it. Champions Online, while a failure of a game in many respects, did a few clever and innovative things right. One of them was to create a class of enemy dubbed "Scary Monster." It has no level, but rather its damage in and out is scaled to the player levels dynamically. So a max level in ultimate gear can be wailing away on it just as well as a level 14 in quest greens/blues. Both contribute meaningfully and no one gets screwed. This allows the enemies to traverse and spawn in any zone without being obliterated/obliterating each zone.

The game servers should be (and I think are) capable of polling the active populations to determine when such events could happen. If the server's player count is too low, the chance of an unattended/failed invasion turning into a global event would be slim to none. It'd be a threshold that would need to be carefully tuned, but it could be reached. This isn't the kind of thing that would happen a few times a day, but perhaps a couple times a week (more or less depending on population).

Rift certainly took a step in the right direction, but I always felt it didn't go far enough. Zone invasions were, at the absolute worst, a brief setback. Ember Island seems to be another step forward, but that's an untied zone.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast