+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Calling Skills) How to address Tank Tree balance and tree Synergy (Rift-sk/Justicar)

Default (Calling Skills) How to address Tank Tree balance and tree Synergy (Rift-sk/Justicar)

I recently made my first Rogue. been a long time, but never played a rogue even from beta time.

But looking at the Rift Stalker and the Justicar, I notice that the trees seemed to be designed with some sort of fear in mind that other souls would be able to exploit the defense.

Well I came up with the perfect solution to this issue, that could also greatly improve the synergy that all souls in a calling have between each other.
    I posted a similar idea before, and I want to point out what inspired my suggestion here.
    Well we all can see pretty much, that a Calling, is basically the typical "Class System" in other MMO such as WoW. While the Souls are the typical "Talent Trees". Well one big difference is that the base classes "DONT HAVE BASELINE SKILLS". I examined from other games, what the Talent Trees actually do. I noticed how they add new skills, and change the effect of many baseline skills. Well we cant get the later, because we have no baseline skills.
    From that observation, I looked back at the Soul Tree system, and notice how we have a lot of Clone skills. and some of these clone skills effect skills deeper down the tree like a proc for example.
    Well I figured, if Callings had baseline skills, that would give souls more ways to improve the calling into different areas without such useless skills. this gives other trees a way to effect other soul trees and not just their own.
    ok skipping the history lesson.
    I want to start this idea with the Rogue Calling since it has 3 different fighting styles (Ranged/Melee/Tank)
    Well what if this calling had 3 baseline Stances (this is similar to Death Knights Presences from WoW for those that dont understand)
    Rogues get:
    • *Ranged Stance-- increases Ranged damage but reduces melee hit chance and damage.
    • *Melee Stance -- Increase chance to parry and increase melee damage and off hand hit chance. But reduces Ranged damage
    • *Tank Stance -- Increase Armor, Health, Avoidance and Greatly increase Threat, but greatly reduce damage of the rogue, and reduce damage taken from attacks.

Now each of these stances have a positive effect, but also with some sort of trade off negative effect. But these negative effects on the stances get reduced as more points are put in the associate trees.

For example, somebody that puts points in Riftstalker tree will see that the stance's negative reduction on the damage of the rogue, would go down.
    a player that puts points in the Melee trees will see a increase in their melee damage and hit chance bonus of the stance.
    players that put points in the ranged trees will get a bonus in the range damage they deal.

Clerics would get a similar concept.
    *Will of the 2hander-- 2hander DPS stance. stat conversion
    *Will of the Shield-- Tank Stance- stat conversion with avoidance stats as well
    *Will of Mind-- Caster Stance-- bonus to casting
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok now that we understand the stance concept.
    How about we also get rid of many of these clones skills and make them baseline calling skills instead.
    Right now, a calling on determines what your class can wear, and what souls they have access, and why their resource will be. Well lets add the baseline clone skills to this and the stances.
    This way we can have some of the tier 1 and 2 branch points to effect some skills that all souls can have some use to.
    Clerics would get a baseline HoT, Melee ATtack, Ranged Cast Damage, and Shield attack.

Soulwalker

Unfortunately what you're basically saying is "lets make this like every mmo ever." It's definitely an effective way to balance these things but it would alter far too much.

Think about this: Rift only has 4 classes. So why does it sometimes seem like there are far more? Because there are no baseline talents. There are essentially 8 classes in every calling. If you start making it so that the talents are simply buffs for the baseline talents then instead of having 32 different ways to play we'll be back down to 4. The fact that how you spec is directly relevant to what abilities you have is one of the cornerstones of Rift.

It's a valid suggestion but it's ultimately asking for far too much to be plausible.

On another note, random pointless baseline utilities would be awesome. I can't even tell you how much i miss stuff like levitate and mind vision from WoW. i didn't even realize how much i used those two until i started playing Rift and they don't even help with anything(except thaddius).

Quote Originally Posted by kawwmoi View Post
    Unfortunately what you're basically saying is "lets make this like every mmo ever." It's definitely an effective way to balance these things but it would alter far too much.

Think about this: Rift only has 4 classes. So why does it sometimes seem like there are far more? Because there are no baseline talents. There are essentially 8 classes in every calling. If you start making it so that the talents are simply buffs for the baseline talents then instead of having 32 different ways to play we'll be back down to 4. The fact that how you spec is directly relevant to what abilities you have is one of the cornerstones of Rift.

It's a valid suggestion but it's ultimately asking for far too much to be plausible.

On another note, random pointless baseline utilities would be awesome. I can't even tell you how much i miss stuff like levitate and mind vision from WoW. i didn't even realize how much i used those two until i started playing Rift and they don't even help with anything(except thaddius).
    Actually it would make each tree more unique and balanced, since it enables the developers to replace many of the clone skills at the start of the root to be something more unique and useful to that soul.

Why does a healer tree need a damage spell root? because they need to solo. well if the Cleric in general had these skills baseline, than the developers could replace those skills with some more heals and support skills.

+ Reply to Thread