+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Planar Breach (Collaborative Persistant Warfront and Open PVE Dungeon idea)

Ascendant

Default Planar Breach (Collaborative Persistant Warfront and Open PVE Dungeon idea)

Planar Breach
    Collabrative persistant Warfront/PVE Dungeon

The concept:

West of the former kingdom of Mathosia (now Stillmoor) was a large island that was the first foothold for Regulos's forces. Here massive cracks in the ward have allowed his forces to break through, feeding his growing army of death. However once the other dragons of the bloodstorm learned of this base and the crack in the ward, a struggle for dominance began. With each side struggling for dominance over control within the island. When one side gains control they will open a Planar Breach and begin to flood Telara with powerful invaders from their plane.

The warfront:

Access to this open world pvp island is by boat located on the south west coast of Stillmoor.
    Each server is teamed up with 2 others for a cluster of 3. Players from these 3 groups are randomly assigned one of six factions relating to the planes as they enter the field of battle.

There are 6 control points around the island. One for each faction. Each control point has three stages. Its default (which is whatever element it belongs to), destroyed (when the outpost has been razed) and in control by another faction. As the time under opposing control goes by players from the faction the outpost originally belonged to get a damage increase every 5 minutes this stacks up to a 100% damage bonus. Note that when a outpost is under another faction control it must be razed before it will return to its original state. Each faction has a base guarded by mobs that one shot, at this base you can purchase seige weapons with which to destroy outposts. Each post has several planar captains and one planar commander that guard it. People of the faction owning the outpost can strengthen the planar wardstone which powers the outpost.

As you kill other players or destroy other towns in addition to gaining favor and prestige you gain planar charge crystals which can be used to power up your faction owned wardstones. Doing so works like powering up a wardstone, it makes the wardstone have more hp, and it strengthen the guards of the outpost as well increasing their damage and hp. A planar stone can be powered up to 5 times before it is maxed out with each level requiring more stones (this is meant to be done as a team) like it may require 300 stones to power it up once (cumulative) and 500 for level 2 and so on. Seige weapons cannot be used on players but they can be used on other seige weapons (specific seige weapons exist as counters to other weapons). As you run around other players will appear as cultists from whatever planar faction they represent but based on their class they will all appear slightly different, ie a cleric abyssal looks different from a mage abyssal). As a player you still appear as yourself, its just other people that look different. When one faction achieves dominance by controlling more points, the planar breach is opened.

The PVE Dungeon, Planar Breach:

Planar Breach opens up when one faction has achieved dominance over the others. Razed outposts are considered nuetral so this means one faction would have to have multiple outposts unless they have one and all others have been razed. The planar breach is an outdoor raid dungeon with no player cap. Its balanced around 20 man but more can enter. When the breach closes or another faction gains control the players inside the existing breach can continue to exist there but any players now entering the breach will go elsewhere.

Essentially you have 6 open world versions of the same dungeon (7 because there is the persistent pvp one).
    But only one can be accessible at any given time (and sometimes non are accessible depending on the state of the pvp battle). These 6 versions are mirror images except each one is different in that the entire zone is overrun with whatever faction is dominant. So they control all parts of the map. Each control point has a raid boss (for a total of 6) with several rare spawning roaming bosses on staggered timers. The raid bosses have 6 hour timers. The random spawn bosses have 3 hour staggered timers. There are also sizable forces of mobs that roam the island along with sizable forces at each control point. Clearing the entire zone (every single mob, there is a counter which tells you how many remain) will summon a final very difficult massive boss that is designed to be killed by at least 40. If this boss isn't killed the entire zone will respawn when he despawns (approximately 1 hour). This is to ensure that one guild doesn't have the entire thing on farm. Also keep in mind each plane has its own "version" so if say Fire has been cleared completely, if it changes hands then the next plane probably isn't. While the 3 servers share one pvp zone, each server has it own "set" of planar breaches. Regular mobs killed in the planar breach and mobs killed in the pvp zone drop planar resonanting crystals which can be turned in to the merchant at the port where you catch the boat for planar infused items. Bosses also drop several of these in both pvp and pve. Actual loot is only dropped in the dungeon however.

PVP in this zone has no valor. The armor you buy with planar resonating crystals will allow you to quickly catch up to higher geared players, however the armor you buy here is non functional outside of the planar breach and the actual pvp area. This is to ensure that hardcore raiders will still have the best gear within the bulk of the game. The idea with resonanting gear is to allow players to compete on even footing in pvp within the zone and also allow those people to raid high level content. The bosses in the Breach will be balanced around the very top resonanting gear (which in turn is equivalent to BIS gear). Which seems crazy until you factor in the fact that there is no player cap. Gear dropped from bosses in the planar breach will be usable anywhere and there will be a mix of pvp and pve gear from these bosses. But the gear from those bosses will always be one tier below the current highest raid content and pvp content to ensure fairness.

Zoning into the dungeon area groups you automatically with a raid group until it is filled. When one is filled a new one is started. This is meant to be an inclusive and server friendly system.

Its a bit of a complicated system, but hopefully it might give Trion some interesting ideas about ways to go down the road for expansions and what not.

If you think this is cool, give it a like. If you have suggestions or ideas then post them. Lets show trion we are interested in something a little more different than the standard MMO stuff.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 09-08-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

The six factions... I'm assuming they're the different Cults/Planes? Would the two base Factions persist on this island, or would we all assume different character skins (while keeping stats and souls).

Basically, are there Defiants and Guardians on the island, or what? The concept is great, I'm just not sure how the teaming will work out even across shards (basically this whole island is an instance, yes?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    The six factions... I'm assuming they're the different Cults/Planes? Would the two base Factions persist on this island, or would we all assume different character skins (while keeping stats and souls).

Basically, are there Defiants and Guardians on the island, or what? The concept is great, I'm just not sure how the teaming will work out even across shards (basically this whole island is an instance, yes?)
    Yea, basically its a red vs blue (except instead of assigning random colors you are assigned a random planar cult and you assume that skin to other players)concept where factions get thrown out the window. Lore wise this makes alot of sense because yes guardians and defiant hate each other but it benefits everyone to stop the planar forces from amassing. This also allows for faction imbalance to be a non issue (always a huge problem with open world pvp).
    Last edited by Khelendross; 09-08-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Ascendant

One thing I realized today is that I never really explained the motivation. Why would defiants or guardians want to help the planar invaders. Well when you take the boat out to the island the guy who takes you out casts a random disguise spell on you. Your objective is to infiltrate and sabotage the planar invaders so that one side gains dominance and then the guardians/defiants can send a massive strike force into the breach and wipe out a large portion of their army, striking a large blow at the heart of whatever particular element is dominant at the time. True is a never ending battle, but the guardians and defiants are finally being proactive here and taking the fight to them rather than just waiting for something bad to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    One thing I realized today is that I never really explained the motivation. Why would defiants or guardians want to help the planar invaders. Well when you take the boat out to the island the guy who takes you out casts a random disguise spell on you. Your objective is to infiltrate and sabotage the planar invaders so that one side gains dominance and then the guardians/defiants can send a massive strike force into the breach and wipe out a large portion of their army, striking a large blow at the heart of whatever particular element is dominant at the time. True is a never ending battle, but the guardians and defiants are finally being proactive here and taking the fight to them rather than just waiting for something bad to happen.
    ok now I understand a bit.

So we get models similar to monsters right?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    ok now I understand a bit.

So we get models similar to monsters right?
    Thats correct. To other players you look like say a wanton spellmage or whatever (if you are a mage). Or an Abyssal Mistweaver if you are a cleric or whatever. To yourself you look like you, but to everyone else you appear as your disguise dictates.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 09-10-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    Thats correct. To other players you look like say a wanton spellmage or whatever (if you are a mage). Or an Abyssal Mistweaver if you are a cleric or whatever. To yourself you look like you, but to everyone else you appear as you disguise dictates.
    problem, you say something about groups of 3.
    but if this is world PvP, wouldnt there be a larger number of players than 18 (3*6planes)?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    problem, you say something about groups of 3.
    but if this is world PvP, wouldnt there be a larger number of players than 18 (3*6planes)?
    nono, clusters of 3 servers. There is no player cap. So you may have varying numbers of people but when it puts you on a planar team it tries to keep it even so if you have team size imbalances it would be for a very short period of time, no different than in a warfront if a player is dropped. I figured 3 servers would be enough to keep a healthy amount of players in the warfront without making it so crazy that the battlegroup crashes.

It might be a good idea to pair a oceanic or euro server with a US one so that there will always be players around and in zone since this ia persiistant pvp zone (its not a true warftont where it specifically ends).

Shadowlander

This is a very interesting idea. Even a disguise spell to work it into the lore - you really thought this out. I understand about wanting 6 factions, but I'm not sure if that is something Trion would go with. Even then, this could be made to work with 2, but you'd have population unbalance like you mentioned. Still, it might be doable. Have 2 factions and a third npc faction that will launch additional raids against the base of whichever side has a higher population, the more unbalanced the more raids they launch. That would keep some of them busy guarding the base, while still earning rewards.

*Something* like this I would love. I'm eagerly awaiting a persistent warfront-type area. Only problem is I'd play it all the time and never return to the 'real' world.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBuddha View Post
    This is a very interesting idea. Even a disguise spell to work it into the lore - you really thought this out. I understand about wanting 6 factions, but I'm not sure if that is something Trion would go with. Even then, this could be made to work with 2, but you'd have population unbalance like you mentioned. Still, it might be doable. Have 2 factions and a third npc faction that will launch additional raids against the base of whichever side has a higher population, the more unbalanced the more raids they launch. That would keep some of them busy guarding the base, while still earning rewards.

*Something* like this I would love. I'm eagerly awaiting a persistent warfront-type area. Only problem is I'd play it all the time and never return to the 'real' world.
    It should never stay unbalanced for more than a few minutes in theory because the picking system is red vs blue essentially. Its assigning you to teams to make it even in other words. Now granted when someone leaves it creates a temporary imbalance, but that would likely be very short lived. 2 or 3 factions is more manageable but I think it makes more lore sense to have it with all 6 factions. Unless they maybe did it with 4 factions (because 2 of the dragons have been "killed" so their forces are in disarray?)

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Just saw the sig link for this.

It's an interesting thought. I have my standard knee-jerk "no PvE content gated behind PvP", but I gotta say, even though I'm not sure I like the whole thing, I really like some of the concept here. It feels more like it fits the setting and feel of the game than a lot of the stuff people propose.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Just saw the sig link for this.

It's an interesting thought. I have my standard knee-jerk "no PvE content gated behind PvP", but I gotta say, even though I'm not sure I like the whole thing, I really like some of the concept here. It feels more like it fits the setting and feel of the game than a lot of the stuff people propose.
    The nice thing about this concept is that though its gated, the concept itself exists outside of the 2 faction struggle. So the dungeon exists anytime one of the 6 factions achieves dominance. By that token, due to the design, the dungeon would almost always be up. Not to mention that PVE players might enjoy some of this PVP because it has some PVE elements to it. Its sort of a crossover concept.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

It is!

It'd still trip my "OTHER PLAYERS ATTACKING ME AAHHH" reflex, but the game is not compelled to make every last thing appeal to my personal mental disorders.

Shame, though. I would totally play a game in which combat skill was determined by how quickly you recognized powers of two.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

RIFT Community Ambassador Maelystra's Avatar

Sorry for the months old bump, but this idea is too good to just let it go quietly into the night.

Shadowlander

Keep your pvp out of my pve!
    No gated pve behind pvp and no to pve that requires me to pvp flag!

IMO one of the biggest issue rift has atm is far to much cross over between pvp and pve already!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast