+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nnnxia

Thread: An Arena Alternative: Increased Duel Functionality

Default An Arena Alternative: Increased Duel Functionality

Background

Currently the "Duel" Function only works in a 1v1 manner. You request a Duel of another player, of any faction, and should that player accept, a banner is then dropped (midway?) between both players, a countdown commences and the duel begins. During the duel, the player is immune to all outside interference/heals/etc. and the duel ends when either players health reaches 0 or if the other player runs away by leaving the invisible perimeter of the duel area.

Improvement:
    Make it Possible to "Duel" Parties/Raids of Players. Of Either Faction.

Details
    The Party leader is able to make a duel request to another Party leader of a separate party/raid. Once accepted both parties duke it out. Similar duel rules apply.

This change will help make organizing 2v2s, 5v5s, 10v10s or 20v20s much easier. It will also help with the development of competition, fostering of ties and camaraderie, improved skill and strategy/tactics and a deeper understanding of cross-soul synergy balance issues by promoting controlled competitive play within the faction.

Also less development time will be spent on developing maps for arenas as players can take advantage of the huge open world to choose their duel spots, be it the mountains of ironpine or the deserts of shimmersand.

It may sound simple to implement but a few more features have to be implemented to make it worthwhile and prevent abuse which will be described in the following example scenario:

Setup

2 parties of 5 meet up in a predetermined location which both teams agreed to duel upon. The leader of both parties has to flag their party as "Enable Party Duel Requests". This is a simple check to make sure that the entire party receives the duel request and not just one player. All players in the raid/party should be prompted with a check when the party is flagged/toggled as such. This is to prevent players from unknowingly joining a duel team for whatever reasons. Also this status flag is reset whenever a player leaves or joins the party.

Challenging

The next step would be to issue the challenge. For explanation purposes let A be the Defiant team and B the Guardian team. Only the leader of the team is able to issue challenges. Team A's leader will issue a challenge to any member of Team B, however only the leader of team B will receive the challenge. Should team B's leader accept a new prompt/dialogue window box appears. If he should reject the request, team A is unable to challenge team B for 15s to prevent spamming. Once the new prompt is open, no further challenges can be received by either team until the duel is concluded or cancelled.

Accepting Challenges Prompt/Window

This is a very special window which will basically be a kind of LOBBY system for PvP dueling. It will show the size of both teams, names of players, their classes, levels, prestige ranks and their ready status. There might even be a chatbox included for the two teams to communicate within without outside noise. There will be buttons to toggle Ready or Unready Status, a "Cancel Duel" button which closes the window, and a "Commence Duel" button which ONLY lights up when your team's players are ALL ready. Only the party leader can press the lit Commence Duel button. Upon pressing the Commence Duel button, your team is locked and no changes to Ready status are allowed. Once both teams hit commence duel, the countdown begins. 3... 2... 1...

Rules Of Engagement

The Dueling Banner is dropped once the countdown commences and stays until the duel is concluded. The perimeter of the Duel area is highlighted on the map and has some visible glowing animation (visible but not too obstructive, preferably like dotted lines) to demarcate the duel zone and scales according to the size of the party/raid. Should a player leave the zone they have 5s to return or be removed from the duel. The duel is concluded once all the players in a team are rendered incapacitated. Should a single player be defeated in the duel he/she is unable to soulwalk or respawn while his teammates are alive, he remains in his corpse state. All players receive a Duel Buff while within the zone. This is the anti-intervention buff.

Duel Anti-Intervention Buff

All players who receive this buff are flagged as non-hostile to non-duel players and mobs alike. They cannot receive healing/damage/buff/debuffs/etc. from non-duel players. Also duel players with this buff are unable to attack/interact/heal/buff/debuff/etc. non-duel players and mobs. To prevent abuse, it is only applicable while within the duel zone. Should a player leave the duel zone he/she has 5s to return or lose the buff and duel status permanently. Should a player be defeated while within the confines of the duel zone the buff will persist through death to prevent outside res'.

Timers

Duels can only last 15mins long to prevent abuse. Once the countdown ends the duel is concluded and the duel area dissipates along with the Anti-Intervention buff.

Scoreboard

A scoreboard summary is posted once the duel has concluded. Similar to that in WFs.

Post-Battle

All duel participants are returned to full health and PvP flagged 25s once the duel is over and NOT when they die.

Battle Resurrection Interactions

A player who is downed in battle and battle res'd should still be able to participate in the battle since the Anti-Intervention buff persists through death.

Rewards and XP

None.

/end.

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to make any comments.
    Last edited by Nnnxia; 08-29-2011 at 09:30 PM.

I don't mind Arenas but I don't want it to become the main format of PvP. I will try to explain what I mean in WoW terms.

RIFT warfronts = WoW Arena in rewards.
    RIFT Arena = Wow Battleground in rewards.
    RIFT duel = WoW Duel

Telaran

I support this.

Rift Master

I support this
    Look to nnnxia's contributions trion, he knows what he is talking about!

Plane Walker

sounds awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I don't mind Arenas but I don't want it to become the main format of PvP. I will try to explain what I mean in WoW terms.

RIFT warfronts = WoW Arena in rewards.
    RIFT Arena = Wow Battleground in rewards.
    RIFT duel = WoW Duel
    did you even read the post? its about duels, not that pile of crap WoW dubbed Arena.

Plane Walker

this is till awesome, come on guys make it happen. No rewards just for fun.

+ Reply to Thread