+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Auto-level down to the Zone

  1. #1
    Ascendant Morvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    3,294

    Default Auto-level down to the Zone

    A thought occurs to me... I'd be able to help out a lot more people do a lot more content if I was a lower level, in the zone they're questing or fighting in.

    For example, if I notice a huge Zone Invasion in Silverwood presently, whenever I walk out there I am a tanking God... who destroys the content before any level 15s can get there to have fun. I truly want to help, but am not allowed full participation because of how over-powered I am.

    However, if I was automatically scaled to a weaker state as soon as I left Sanctum, I'd be able to enjoy content that I passed over as a lower level, and the local population would not be at a disadvantage.

    The 3 endgame Zones (Stillmoor, IPP, and Shimmersand) would not scale players lower, nor would either capital city.

    Think about all the extra content you could add for PvP or endgame if you didn't have to worry about people being leveled too high for a zone? There could easily be endgame content in Silverwood or Freemarch, and the "level 50s" would not be interfering with much.
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

  2. #2
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,000

    Default

    I agree
    I made this suggestion yesterday

    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...rs-please.html

    I would like some kind of scale feature

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Kiryana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    118

    Default

    I'd be OK with this but, only if it activates when I'm partied with said lowbie. I really don't feel like getting mobbed over in Freemarch by some level 12's. Isn't GW2 doing this?

  4. #4
    Ascendant Morvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiryana View Post
    I'd be OK with this but, only if it activates when I'm partied with said lowbie. I really don't feel like getting mobbed over in Freemarch by some level 12's. Isn't GW2 doing this?
    I think so, they're calling it Sidekick? Though I hear theirs scales people up to a zone as well, which I disagree with for this particular game, because some content would be spoiled.

    Anyway, it would immediately solve the issue of level 50s in Silverwood or Freemarch killing Zone Event bosses instantly, and I imagine in world PvP cases it would serve to level the playing field.

    And I think it should happen automatically when you cross the Zone's boundaries, that way we avoid any accidents. The gameplay would be much more even throughout, and it'd even be reasonable to keep the Mobs' reduced aggro range for those who were truly a higher level.
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-17-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

  5. #5
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I think so, they're calling it Sidekick? Though I hear theirs scales people up to a zone as well, which I disagree with for this particular game, because some content would be spoiled.

    Anyway, it would immediately solve the issue of level 50s in Silverwood or Freemarch killing Zone Event bosses instantly, and I imagine in world PvP cases it would serve to level the playing field.

    And I think it should happen automatically when you cross the Zone's boundaries, that way we avoid any accidents. The gameplay would be much more even throughout, and it'd even be reasonable to keep the Mobs' reduced aggro range for those who were truly a higher level.
    Yes, and when I want to gather crafting materials I can die repeatedly...no thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

  6. #6
    Ascendant Morvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mongus View Post
    Yes, and when I want to gather crafting materials I can die repeatedly...no thank you
    Why would you be gathering crafting materials in a low level zone? And it'd be far easier than your first run around (full access to spells for a start, plus being a bit better than anything intended in the zone).

    I just think it's bogus to want to avoid conflict and other people in a game that's essentially about killing stuff with other people. As a higher level individual, I'd also hope you were able to knowledgeably avoid mobs or deal with them on your way to a Crafting Node, having done so for the previous levels since your first run through a zone.

    If you're up to Stillmoor, and have done some dungeon Experts, let me paint you a picture.
    Know how tough those mobs are when you do your Stillmoor dailies? In your T1 or T2 gear, likely not all that much of a challenge. Still, if you get ganged up on, yes you're dealing with them in a more serious tone, and when a Zone Event flies through, you're tested (assuming you seek out the huge groups like I do).
    The scaling down of your level to an artificially-lower one for Scarwood Reach or Freemarch (as examples) would seek to find that level of difficulty. The content is easily solo-able, but when presented with group situations, you are challenged like the locals. It'd be hard to outlevel a zone's quests in this way, and you can always come back to fairly complete quests without it being a snooze-fest or you unintentionally ruining the experience for those still leveling properly in the zone.
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-17-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mongus View Post
    Yes, and when I want to gather crafting materials I can die repeatedly...no thank you
    Not if you still had your high gear stats, and you're not auto-leveled down to Lv 20 (Silverwood), but rather 25. Easily enough to tackle mobs there quickly.

    Silverwood/Freemarch - 25
    Gloamwood/Stonefield - 32
    Scarlet Gorge - 35
    Scarwood Reach - 40
    Moonshade Highlands - 44
    Droughtlands - 45
    Iron Pine Peak - 50
    Shimmersand - 50
    Stillmoor 50

    Seems reasonable to me, but I'm not sure it would work in a model like Rift's. Guess I can dream.

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    They had this in FFXI

    It wasn't terrible except for one thing. It REQUIRED you to have SEVERAL sets of gear.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Morvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoam View Post
    They had this in FFXI

    It wasn't terrible except for one thing. It REQUIRED you to have SEVERAL sets of gear.
    Derp? I never really played any Final Fantasy games, maybe you could explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    Derp? I never really played any Final Fantasy games, maybe you could explain?
    Basically they would have a dungeon set at a level..say lvl 30. Even if you were 75 (max level at the time I was playing) zoning in would make you level 30. You could not wear gear that was lvl 75, so you needed lvl 30 gear to succeed at that zone.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Morvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoam View Post
    Basically they would have a dungeon set at a level..say lvl 30. Even if you were 75 (max level at the time I was playing) zoning in would make you level 30. You could not wear gear that was lvl 75, so you needed lvl 30 gear to succeed at that zone.
    ...

    Yeah see, that's not what I intended. The gear would be brought down to proper levels. In fact... that FF systems just seems plain stupid. =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

  12. #12
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    ...

    Yeah see, that's not what I intended. The gear would be brought down to proper levels. In fact... that FF systems just seems plain stupid. =/
    FFXI is a very hardcore MMO. None of the baby stuff that is available here is over there.

    You die? You lose XP, you can be dropped levels..etc :P

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    406

    Default

    I suggested this a while back - instead of auto-scaling, allow a role to be level capped:

    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...evel-role.html

  14. #14
    Plane Touched Scarletroses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoam View Post
    FFXI was a very hardcore MMO.
    fixed that for you.

    That game was neutered awhile ago.

  15. #15
    Champion of Telara Raiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sanctum
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    A thought occurs to me... I'd be able to help out a lot more people do a lot more content if I was a lower level, in the zone they're questing or fighting in.

    For example, if I notice a huge Zone Invasion in Silverwood presently, whenever I walk out there I am a tanking God... who destroys the content before any level 15s can get there to have fun. I truly want to help, but am not allowed full participation because of how over-powered I am.

    However, if I was automatically scaled to a weaker state as soon as I left Sanctum, I'd be able to enjoy content that I passed over as a lower level, and the local population would not be at a disadvantage.

    The 3 endgame Zones (Stillmoor, IPP, and Shimmersand) would not scale players lower, nor would either capital city.

    Think about all the extra content you could add for PvP or endgame if you didn't have to worry about people being leveled too high for a zone? There could easily be endgame content in Silverwood or Freemarch, and the "level 50s" would not be interfering with much.
    There should be an option. Like an Auto Level Scaling check box.

    Then when I go into Silverwood to help friends/guildies I can 1shot all of their quests, but when I wanna help with a zone invasion I can scale down to the levels of the other players in the raid.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts