+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoam
  • 2 Post By Jaelon

Thread: WTB DPS Meter....please?

Default WTB DPS Meter....please?

Recount was a great resource in WoW to assess and improve one's damage output. Would love to have an ingame version of this for Rift.
    Last edited by Kinkek; 08-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Vizions - Dwarf Rogue - Seastone
    <Dawn of Terror>
    "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkek View Post
    Recount was a great resource in WoW to assess and improve one's damage output. Would love to have an ingame version of this for Rift.
    I believe people in Rift use ACT Advance Combat Tracker

I installed it
    worked fine for about a week
    now it has stopped working
    :\

The Riftjunkies parser is working for me again. I'd try that.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Ascendant

Shadowlander

I personally like it that theres no damage meters. In WoW, everything became about squeezing out that extra 100 dps or risk being useless. Here, you're just a dps having fun.

Champion

DPS meters would be awesome, if not for the pain they cause tanks. Don't get me wrong, it is great to know your damage per second. The problem comes in when the DPS member of the party becomes so concerned with doing as much DPS as mathematically possible he forgets that doing to much will pull aggro and likely cause a wipe.

Edit: there is a handy way of knowing if you are doing enough DPS. If the healer runs out of mana before the mob dies, you are not, in fact, doing enough. And there is very much such a thing as doing too much.
    Last edited by Jaelon; 08-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelon View Post
    DPS meters would be awesome, if not for the pain they cause tanks. Don't get me wrong, it is great to know your damage per second. The problem comes in when the DPS member of the party becomes so concerned with doing as much DPS as mathematically possible he forgets that doing to much will pull aggro and likely cause a wipe.

Edit: there is a handy way of knowing if you are doing enough DPS. If the healer runs out of mana before the mob dies, you are not, in fact, doing enough. And there is very much such a thing as doing too much.
    The threat system in this game makes it practically impossible to peel a mob off the tank unless you either nuke it too early or the tank isn't getting enough threat and needs to review their rotation. Yes, it's possible (I've seen it happen on occasion), but people pulling their "capable" DPS on say a boss (single target) will 99% likely never pull aggro.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Yeah, I have seen and heard of these 3rd party programs, I would just prefer to not run windowed mode or tab out constantly. And I was never one to judge a player based on their gearscore or what the meters said. Any fool with top end gear can kill a boss with a basic knowledge of the fight. It takes a talented group of people to do it in blues
    Vizions - Dwarf Rogue - Seastone
    <Dawn of Terror>
    "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    The threat system in this game makes it practically impossible to peel a mob off the tank unless you either nuke it too early or the tank isn't getting enough threat and needs to review their rotation. Yes, it's possible (I've seen it happen on occasion), but people pulling their "capable" DPS on say a boss (single target) will 99% likely never pull aggro.
    The problem is when people want to see how high they can push the meter. They start doing AoE and the fringes of said mob can start to wander away from the tank. Argue if you like, anyone who has tanked with a pug has experienced this. As to the single target, yeah, you are right about that 99%, but how much of any dungeon is single target?
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

See, if they put DPS Meters on the Target Dummies then we would all have a way to personally improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

ACT is a solid dps meter.

+ Reply to Thread