+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfetx

Thread: Critical Crafting Successes

Shadowlander

Default Critical Crafting Successes

Player crafting in some games is a major component (Vanguard, Darkfall, Everquest 2, EVE Online) while in others its as much as an after thought as multiplayer in some console games. Rift seems to be right on the fence. Tight itemization and ensuring a vast player driven economy are pretty much out for Rift at this point, but making crafting items worth crafting isn't. The recent Raid-level sets are a great start, but the game could do much more across all levels.

Crafting critical successes could be implemented to help foster crafting gear across all levels. It could encourage harvesting from players for items that aren't involved in the level 300 dailies as well as making < 300 skill recipes worthwhile to pick up. High skill level recipes would be hard to critical for that reason and thus the item might easily rival top-end gear found in T1/T2's.

Mechanic: On crafting an item, there is a % chance based on skill level versus item level to critically craft it producing superior results in item level/

Different ways an item can critically craft:
    * Crtically crafted potions/runes/harvests might yield more items.
    * Crtically crafted gear has improved item level and possibly quality.
    * Crtically crafted gear has new effects/stats
    * Crtically crafted gear could have unique effects and bonuses to crafting to make it stand apart.

Examples:
    Note: Use the concepts not the merit itemization to judge the idea.
    Mighty Healing Potion (3x per normal craft) might yield (5x per critical craft)

Normal: Effervescent Wand - blue - 30.2 dps, 18 wis, 13 int, 11 end, 10 sp
    Critical: Scintillating Wand - purple - 34 dps, 24 wis, 14 int, 14 end, 16 sp

Normal: Copper Ring - green - 3 str, 3 dex
    Critical: Reinforced Copper Ring - green - 3 str, 3 dex, 3 end

Normal: Darkcloth Slippers - blue - 207 arm, 14 int, 10 end, 10 wis, 7 sp
    Critical: Ebony Slippers - purple - 225 arm, 18 int, 10 end, 10 wis, 9 sp, offensive spells have a chance to heal you for 10% of their damage.

The only thing I haven't really considered is how critically crafting an item might affect augments. Four mindsets could be:
    1. If augmented, an item can't critically craft.
    2. If augmented, the augment applies as normal.
    3. If augmented, the augment is improved as well.
    4. If augmented, the augment has an independent chance to critcally improve as well.

Eitehr 1 or 2 is what I'd lean towards in terms of augments.

No thanks, daoc had some thing similar and it sucked!
    It was a very rare chance to get a mastercrafted item 100% qual.
    very few things are as horrid as crafting 300 items to fill that order for a mastercrafted item (**** RNG!). All the rest were vender fodder.
    Basically once you add your critically crafted item any thing below crit craft becomes undesirable.

Rift Chaser

I never had a problem with this concept in LOTRO, and it added a bit of interest / spice to a crafting attempt.

Agreed.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    No thanks, daoc had some thing similar and it sucked!
    It was a very rare chance to get a mastercrafted item 100% qual.
    very few things are as horrid as crafting 300 items to fill that order for a mastercrafted item (**** RNG!). All the rest were vender fodder.
    Basically once you add your critically crafted item any thing below crit craft becomes undesirable.
    Um why would you vendor trash them when they could be salvaged or runebroke?

The mechanics are in this game for recycling and some of the recycled items sell better than normal items do. +spell power stones immediately come to mind.

A vast majority of the artificing I do is for exactly this purpose. And the key is to have reasonable crit rates. I'd rather actually use my crafting that just have a complete recipe list. I've used maybe 10% of the recipes.
    Last edited by Pecan; 08-17-2011 at 07:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread