+ Reply to Thread

Thread: day/night sync with server

Default day/night sync with server

please make the day and night time sync with server time. the server says 9:30pm, but from about 10am server time until 8pm, its night. why? >_>

I liked the 24 hour night/day cycle in other games (especially the little things like the switch between humans to worgens in pyrewood village depending on time of day) but poor Australians would never get to play in their correct day cycle until Trion makes real Oceania shards instead of Oceanic Suggested NA Shards.

adjusting server time on "oceanic" shards shouldnt be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    adjusting server time on "oceanic" shards shouldnt be too difficult.
    But then the poor North Americans on those shards would be affected (I am one and played on the shard before it was designated Oceanic).

Hold on a second...

People can actually tell the difference between night and day in Rift?

(I miss UO and early EQ1 and other games where it was dark at night)

Thumbs down On the other hand

For those of us who play during the same window of time each day it would get a little old ONLY seeing night-time Talara. I am in favor of the day/night setup currently in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Avgust View Post
    For those of us who play during the same window of time each day it would get a little old ONLY seeing night-time Talara. I am in favor of the day/night setup currently in place.
    all i see is night.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by July13th View Post
    I liked the 24 hour night/day cycle in other games (especially the little things like the switch between humans to worgens in pyrewood village depending on time of day) but poor Australians would never get to play in their correct day cycle until Trion makes real Oceania shards instead of Oceanic Suggested NA Shards.
    'Other games'? WOW has it, which others?

I hated WOW for that, during winter months the only time I ever played in daylight in the game was at weekends .. it's much better when game time is faster than real-time.
    Last edited by Kragorn; 08-17-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Server time doesn't necessarily mean "Telara time".

It for sure does not work on 24 hours to begin with.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

I prefer how it is. Some can only play during the evenings, some can only play during the daytime (server time). I remember how it was on WoW, for awhile I was pretty much eternally leveling in darkness in every zone. Didn't like it.

On the flip side, some MMOs have had the day/night cycle go too fast. I feel that Rift is a good compromise.
    Currently on Estrael.
    Gralzeim - Guardian Mage
    Vinden - Guardian Rogue
    Amywienia - Guardian Cleric
    Lissallyne - Guardian Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Naria View Post
    Server time doesn't necessarily mean "Telara time".

It for sure does not work on 24 hours to begin with.
    i dont really care if they make their own little time window, id just like to not constantly play at midnight in this game when i cant see any mountain details.

That was one thing Blizzard did very wrong with wow. There are 24 major time zones and only have a 24 hour day set to one is not good. It is much better having the 3 to 6 hour days in a MMO. That way people can see both night and day.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Ascendant

I like that it is not synced. I am EST time zone... servers are PST. That's only 3 hours. But there are also people in our guild who are Brits and Auz's. They would never see daylight. And as much as I like the sunshining in Telara (especially after all that fog), it would get dull to be no passage of time. The dynamic shadows would be static.

I like it. Keep it this way. I still don't know how long night vs day is.. but it seems a good balance.
    A few times a week I log in and its night. (in the morning) other times is mid afternoon or dusk. I like that I can experience it all, even if I can only play in the AM of Earth time.

1:34pm server time.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...-18_143535.jpg

this is what i get to deal with.

Plane Walker

have the talaren day/night cycle be 23.25 hours.
    so fall of night will be 45 minutes earlyer erach day compared to our 24 hour time.

and aproximating 1 earth mont to complete the full cycle till night fall is at the same time again

+ Reply to Thread