+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A fix for the lvl 50 brick wall.

Default A fix for the lvl 50 brick wall.

Rift is a fantastic game. Playing Rift involves an almost single player game, with the ability to group with quests or grinding, as well as the ability to join groups to run dungeons. However, the game I described is from levels 1 - 49. The game at 50 involves zero solo play, daily quests only, and raids...raids...raids... did a mention raids? Of course there is nothing wrong with raids, except the mere fact that it is one of the only things to do, except maybe grind reputation, at max level, save for PVP which is also group instance based in most cases. For a great many people, max level is the denouement of MMOs and for good reason; the games change from one feel to another. This is the reason you hear the difference in opinion: you hear that either the game ends at max level, or it truly begins.

So, to my suggestions:

End game becomes a grind for gear. Since there is absolutely NOWHERE to go with your character at this point, gear is the only outlet of achievement and goal. So, how about offering another way of getting gear? You see, other MMOs introduced dailies so people can do the exact same thing day in and day out to buy gear. This is a start but is fails and lacks in many ways as well because people who raid and people who do dungeons simply run these dailies as well as other things. A third option, aside from an Alternate Advancement system which has been talked about, is to give us a new type of experience bar at lvl 50. This bar ONLY goes up by killing MoBs and participating in Talaran world events, instead of questing, dungeons, and raiding. For the old Everquest players, this re-introduces their most favorite game style, where they can get similar gear as the raider for lots of hard work at the grinder (isn't all gear gathering a grind anyway?). Yes, allow "camps" as it were; allow the players to level this xp bar and once it reaches max give them some sort of currency that can be used to purchase gear. Think about it this way: Right now you have the option for the same gear in PVP and raiding but no option to get gear as an individual whom likes to run dungeons and do some solo play but doesn't like PVP and raids.

So there's my suggestion. I ask to let the EQ grinders grind, the PVPers PVP, and the Raiders raid but in the end, the gear goal is the same. Of course I love the idea of an AA system as it enhances your character and not just what they wear but since gear IS important I think this would solve the sudden stop and game-change max level brings. It would also let people whom are "camping" their favorite spot be right there as world events occur, instead of siting in Meridian/Sanctum waiting for their group to assemble and seeing the event listed in chat.

Rift is a staggeringly beautiful game, with a wonderful storyline and awesome game play. Never at any point, should you feel that the game just suddenly "ended." In a world of multiple options, this is a bottleneck that has a simple solution.
    If you power level through the game in a month, you deserve to be bored. Slow down, enjoy all the story, and learn the game's wonderful lore. You'll be in for a much better experience.

Don't they already have a system already for extended gameplay for those that don't raid or pvp in rifts?

Sure, you can sit around in Sanctum or Meridian and wait for world events to start, along with some crafting rifts and such. The focus of the game at 50 is getting ready to raid so that you can raid and get gear so you can raid some more, along with PVPing so that you can PVP and get PVP gear that allows for more PVPing. Get my point?
    If you power level through the game in a month, you deserve to be bored. Slow down, enjoy all the story, and learn the game's wonderful lore. You'll be in for a much better experience.

With special Lures and then just general rifts there isn't really a need to sit around Sanctum/Meridian. I feel that they will continue with more Rifts. There is also the Epic Saga quests and I am sure they will continue with those. There is the Chronicles of Telera stuff that is made for Solo and/or Duo (not a lot of info atm). At the moment I am not raiding (too much of time sink) but there is stuff to do. I am not saying that less content is good and/or that the game is fine and should stay the same but I am saying that this is a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game and I feel that new content should probably be multiplayer ( I do want the story that chronicles hopefully will deliver though).

If the point is to be MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER and that is the focus, why then isn't EVERYTHING grouped? Why is there solo play at all? Most people I know enjoy hopping on and playing for a bit by themselves before they are ready to do any group or raid style things. The game 1 - 49 is much more solo and group when you want to friendly.

I agree that there's stuff there, I'm just offering a different solution to gear runs; no more, no less.

If you are a new player there is not always enough people to do 1-49 grouped. When you leave the starter area it is easier to do group (public group rifts and the lfg dungeons).In fact you level faster doing the GROUP content 1-49. When you are 50 there are now plenty of people you can group with. I want group content in a MMorpg. Good news for people that don't really like MMorpgs is that on 11.11 Skyrim comes out and we can be antisocial again.

+ Reply to Thread