+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How about some more communication with the players?

Soulwalker

Default How about some more communication with the players?

Hey Trion,

Instead of just keeping quiet all the time, couldn't you start - I don't know - have their class designers issue a monthly letter or something stating how they feel the classes are doing and what things they are expecting to do?

Something like "This is the role we feel this class should have in the game and this is where we feel it is right now. Due to the synergy between Soul A and B we feel that we are on the right track but we are currently discussing the following changes..."

Or something like:

"We currently feel that soul X for class Y is a bit overpowered due to it's ability to do Z. Because of this we will do the following over the next patches."

Right now it's just silence most of the time and when we get information it's either in the form of a patch note without any explanation as to why something was done.

And having someone from Trion start issuing statements on the things that people actually whine about could help remove a lot of the anger on some issues. Right now it just feels like Trion has a position of "We don't really care what people think, pass the ****.". I'm sure that this is not true, but keeping completely quiet was pretty much what Mythic Entertainment did for Warhammer Online and look where that game went. (yes there was also loads of other problems in the game).

Trion, your patch notes usually contain some humor so you can't all be completely antisocial. Talk to us. :P

Shadowlander

As much as I have bashed SOE for a few of their mistakes......This is something they were good about with Everquest. There were forums setup to hear exactly the thoughts that developers had about each class. It would be nice to have the same here.

It doesn't have to be look at / answered on a daily basis. That would obviously turn it into a full time job but a little bit of input would be nice.

Champion of Telara

would their home numbers satisfy you? Or would you prefer to give them yours and have them call you?

Really though they cant answer every stupid comment or question people have. There is always room for imrpovement, but rift designers seem to listen the community a fair amount. I think there changes to PvP were very lacking and they listened to people about class balance a little too much.

You shouldnt criticize their effort just their execution.

It would be nice to see more Trion employees posting in the Class/PvP forums, but it really is a full time job (and a thankless one at that).

Telaran

My guess would be because its easier to do something and ignore the consequences. If they started posting about changes before they made them, people could say we told you we didn't want you to do that. They would rather you say "WTF, why?" then have to deal with everyone said that was a bad idea but you did it anyways.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dahrken View Post
    would their home numbers satisfy you? Or would you prefer to give them yours and have them call you?

Really though they cant answer every stupid comment or question people have. There is always room for imrpovement, but rift designers seem to listen the community a fair amount. I think there changes to PvP were very lacking and they listened to people about class balance a little too much.

You shouldnt criticize their effort just their execution.
    And where have I asked for their home numbers? And where have I asked them to answer every single thing that people write? Contrary to what you obviously believe I'm not an idiot, I too realize that answering questions on a forum is a full time job and even then you cannot satisfy everyone.

I asked for a monthly writeup of where the class designers feel the game/class is at right now and what they want to achieve with each class. Is that really too much to ask for?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jeebo View Post
    And where have I asked for their home numbers? And where have I asked them to answer every single thing that people write? Contrary to what you obviously believe I'm not an idiot, I too realize that answering questions on a forum is a full time job and even then you cannot satisfy everyone.

I asked for a monthly writeup of where the class designers feel the game/class is at right now and what they want to achieve with each class. Is that really too much to ask for?
    I dont know if it is or not. You being the customer you expect whatever you expect. I just dont know what they have going on internally to know what would actually be possible and what wouldnt.

I am thinking that they have a pace at which they like to do things, its up to you to determine if that is acceptable or not. I would love it if these game designers had a lot more comunication with the player in someone way, but they have to be careful and do it in such a way that it doesnt cause more problems for them.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dahrken View Post
    I dont know if it is or not. You being the customer you expect whatever you expect. I just dont know what they have going on internally to know what would actually be possible and what wouldnt.

I am thinking that they have a pace at which they like to do things, its up to you to determine if that is acceptable or not. I would love it if these game designers had a lot more comunication with the player in someone way, but they have to be careful and do it in such a way that it doesnt cause more problems for them.
    When did I complain about their pace? I'm not complaining about their pace. It's great that they take their time to do something to make sure it's done correctly.

But it would also be great if they could say that they are working on something. And sure, I have expectations as a customer. I guess my expectations are too high...

But it would also be great if they could say that they are working on something. And sure, I have expectations as a customer. I guess my expectations are too high...
    It's not unreasonable. back when 1.3 was on pts, we actually had great communication with the devs in the warrior forum, 1.4 they said they are happy with out current state, 1.4.,5 silence from devs until the said "uh oh, we made them stronger!! it's over 9000!!". then 1.4.6, back to silence.

Ascendant

When did I complain about their pace? I'm not complaining about their pace. It's great that they take their time to do something to make sure it's done correctly.

Your expectations are too high. It has been proven through experience that communication like this only creates future problems. Some might take offense to the wording, or someone might use phrasing to reinforce a particular bias. Plus, developers cannot be specific, otherwise they would receive massive negative feedback when plans change.

+ Reply to Thread