+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gear graphic duplicates

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default Gear graphic duplicates

    I was looking through some of the epic end-game PvP/PvE gear from vendors and I noticed that many sets have the same graphics. I am pleased to see that they implemented more role specific gear (ie a dmg set and tanking set for warriors) but the fact that they have the same exact appearance proves that Trion exerted minimal effort to answer to it's players complaints. You couldn't have changed the color/texture even? Or make the tanking sets look a little more "tough" and the dmg sets look a bit more "scary"? Maybe they have already said that this is underway, I don't know. If anyone has information on this that I'm not aware of, please do tell. Also, your opinions are appreciated. I understand many people just use wardrobes, which I think suck, so they could care less about gear graphics, but there are many of us out there that would like to see some more effort.

    When I charge at someone, I want him to know that I'm there to cause pain, not tank. Or when I prance around with my bard healing and buffing, I think it's quite stupid that I look like an assassin that should be lurking in the shadows.

    Again, this would take very little effort. I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, I realize this game is still relatively new.

    Thanks,
    Khem

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,684

    Default

    yes.. same graphics..

    It just goes to show how lazy the dev team is.. copy and paste gear, only the stat numbers changed.. I'm waiting for another turtle mount where the only difference would be the skin.. LOL I have never played a game with such poor clothing/gear designs. Just awful in my opinion.. I think JC Penney could do better

  3. #3
    Ascendant TheDrizzle404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    yes.. same graphics..

    It just goes to show how lazy the dev team is.. copy and paste gear, only the stat numbers changed.. I'm waiting for another turtle mount where the only difference would be the skin.. LOL I have never played a game with such poor clothing/gear designs. Just awful in my opinion.. I think JC Penney could do better
    yes, theyre busy changing the whole world each month. perhaps theyll eventually get around to making you look more unique. not that im against the idea of kooler gear, but its not exactly high on my priority list, nor theirs probably.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    It just goes to show how lazy the dev team is..
    You have no clue of what dev mean then. But it's clearly an aspect than as been left out for some reason and hope to see dramatic improvements on that.

    Suggestions:
    - more clothes to buy from the NPC
    - UNIQUE look and EPIC look for all the raid and high rank pvp gear, and epic craft.
    - fun and rare craft "look only items" from tailor or new "fun" craft jobs (that would include fishing, making fun drinks (animals changing drinks, distort view, disguising as objects and more, etc that's another topic). The recipe would be rare, and a good subject for quests, loots/rewards

  5. #5
    Telaran Zina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Ok I've seen a lot of complaints about the reskinned this, that and the other and it's always "we want more new stuff, it doesn't take that long!" What every post I've read on this sort of subject entirely fails to take into account is that while making a new texture for an already existing item really doesn't take THAT long, most of the requests require at least new meshes.

    An entirely new creature mount involves the addition of a saddle to the actual mesh of the original model. This alters the original model so it isn't just a copy/paste deal, there's resources required to rebuild the creature. The new saddle needs to be textured, requiring a 2d artist to design and execute the new texture. Then you have to get the PC character models to actually SIT on the new mount, which, depending on the creature, could require a new 'mounted' pose. Cue in the need for more time because imagine the complaints if your character model clips at all on the cool new mount.

    Armor/weapons are the same thing. Many of the requests aren't for simple reskinning, they're for entirely new meshes. These things all take a lot more time than just reskinning the tortagon

    I want new appearances as much as the next person. Has Trion said anything in detail about what resources their art department has on hand? Is it just one guy who can draw/use Photoshop or do they actually have a model builder? I've no idea.

    These requests are a-ok but it gets on my nerve that most players just assume that it's a simple thing when there's actually a lot more involved-and do you want resources/money spent on these types of art assets vs. introducing new content (the art department presumably has to 'make' each new zone).

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zina View Post
    Ok I've seen a lot of complaints about the reskinned this, that and the other and it's always "we want more new stuff, it doesn't take that long!" What every post I've read on this sort of subject entirely fails to take into account is that while making a new texture for an already existing item really doesn't take THAT long, most of the requests require at least new meshes.

    An entirely new creature mount involves the addition of a saddle to the actual mesh of the original model. This alters the original model so it isn't just a copy/paste deal, there's resources required to rebuild the creature. The new saddle needs to be textured, requiring a 2d artist to design and execute the new texture. Then you have to get the PC character models to actually SIT on the new mount, which, depending on the creature, could require a new 'mounted' pose. Cue in the need for more time because imagine the complaints if your character model clips at all on the cool new mount.

    Armor/weapons are the same thing. Many of the requests aren't for simple reskinning, they're for entirely new meshes. These things all take a lot more time than just reskinning the tortagon

    I want new appearances as much as the next person. Has Trion said anything in detail about what resources their art department has on hand? Is it just one guy who can draw/use Photoshop or do they actually have a model builder? I've no idea.

    These requests are a-ok but it gets on my nerve that most players just assume that it's a simple thing when there's actually a lot more involved-and do you want resources/money spent on these types of art assets vs. introducing new content (the art department presumably has to 'make' each new zone).
    It takes resources? I'm sorry, but I thought that's why I'm paying them monthly.
    All I'd like is reassurance that, at least, they are planning on putting a little more effort into gear design. No more of this duplicate trash and/or wardrobes to cover up ****ty looking gear. It'll turn new players off right away and send them packing because even though this game is great, there are many competitors out there. It'll only take something small to deter new players from commiting their time. Personally, I'm in no hurry. I realize the games new and that "these things" take time.

  7. #7
    Ascendant TheDrizzle404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khemicals View Post
    No more of this duplicate trash and/or wardrobes to cover up ****ty looking gear. It'll turn new players off right away and send them packing
    if a new player quits an mmorpg because he doesnt like how his armor looks, i highly doubt that player would be worth salt anyways.

    people also need to use wardrobe more often to make sets that look amazing rather than whine that not every armor combo looks awe inspiring. i like how my character looks.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Charlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zina View Post
    Ok I've seen a lot of complaints about the reskinned this, that and the other and it's always "we want more new stuff, it doesn't take that long!" What every post I've read on this sort of subject entirely fails to take into account is that while making a new texture for an already existing item really doesn't take THAT long, most of the requests require at least new meshes.

    An entirely new creature mount involves the addition of a saddle to the actual mesh of the original model. This alters the original model so it isn't just a copy/paste deal, there's resources required to rebuild the creature. The new saddle needs to be textured, requiring a 2d artist to design and execute the new texture. Then you have to get the PC character models to actually SIT on the new mount, which, depending on the creature, could require a new 'mounted' pose. Cue in the need for more time because imagine the complaints if your character model clips at all on the cool new mount.

    Armor/weapons are the same thing. Many of the requests aren't for simple reskinning, they're for entirely new meshes. These things all take a lot more time than just reskinning the tortagon

    I want new appearances as much as the next person. Has Trion said anything in detail about what resources their art department has on hand? Is it just one guy who can draw/use Photoshop or do they actually have a model builder? I've no idea.

    These requests are a-ok but it gets on my nerve that most players just assume that it's a simple thing when there's actually a lot more involved-and do you want resources/money spent on these types of art assets vs. introducing new content (the art department presumably has to 'make' each new zone).
    They already have all the npc armor in play. I'd be happy with what Faithful has tbh. I can't see her trolling around town in the shiny new mage hobo hippy robe.
    Last edited by Charlice; 08-16-2011 at 08:28 PM.


    Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

  9. #9
    Telaran Zina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Yes it takes resources and yes that's part of the reason there's a monthly fee. To spell it out, resources are finite. There is X allocated to pay for the art team, said art team has Y amount of time. It may be that building new mount models and armor meshes would eat the lion's share of those resources, leaving very little left over for things like new environment design. This is fine, except down the road we'll hear complaining about how the latest new dungeon is a copy/paste of "the noob dungeon".

    By all means, keep up the requests for new stuff! It just irks me to read posts on these subjects that end up conveying the overall message of "Trion is being lazy" when it's just as likely that Trion are prioritizing projects in house because things beyond "simple reskins" take up more of the resources they have available and they presumably also want to add to the game environment (new zones, dungeons etc).

  10. #10
    Ascendant Shattered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    If they are going to keep recycling the same models over and over again, at least pick someone who has some taste to be in charge of selection. There are much nicer models than the ones they chose for the new epic crafted gear. Ugh.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

  11. #11
    Ascendant Cromagis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,793

    Default

    I think they need too worry about fixing the broken dungeons, broken raids, broken classes, and broken abilitys first before they get around to looks, but yes. It is very annoying that it's copy and pasted throughout level 1-50~
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

    Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

  12. #12
    Telaran Naja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    yes.. same graphics..

    It just goes to show how lazy the dev team is.. copy and paste gear, only the stat numbers changed.. I'm waiting for another turtle mount where the only difference would be the skin.. LOL I have never played a game with such poor clothing/gear designs. Just awful in my opinion.. I think JC Penney could do better
    We have a white turtle for 100 artifact sets, a starter turtle for collector's edition and now the same f*** turtle for 1.4, now a mossy turtle.

    I assume, I have all of them, but come on... I still ride my Mathos Gorilla....
    ----
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm brazillian
    "Brasil", Guardian Mage Lvl 50, Prestige Rank 8, Whitefall (PvP), EU

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    if a new player quits an mmorpg because he doesnt like how his armor looks, i highly doubt that player would be worth salt anyways.

    people also need to use wardrobe more often to make sets that look amazing rather than whine that not every armor combo looks awe inspiring. i like how my character looks.
    Last I checked, the only thing that matters to them, and the success of any game, are the number of subscribers. ie the size of their paycheck

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zina View Post
    Yes it takes resources and yes that's part of the reason there's a monthly fee. To spell it out, resources are finite. There is X allocated to pay for the art team, said art team has Y amount of time. It may be that building new mount models and armor meshes would eat the lion's share of those resources, leaving very little left over for things like new environment design. This is fine, except down the road we'll hear complaining about how the latest new dungeon is a copy/paste of "the noob dungeon".

    By all means, keep up the requests for new stuff! It just irks me to read posts on these subjects that end up conveying the overall message of "Trion is being lazy" when it's just as likely that Trion are prioritizing projects in house because things beyond "simple reskins" take up more of the resources they have available and they presumably also want to add to the game environment (new zones, dungeons etc).
    I get your point but increase X and you increase Y. So, my hope is that the number of subscribers grow, therefore increasing both X and Y and HOPEFULLY not having duplicate gear (and maybe some unique end game dg's so that yes, they are not duplicates of "noob dg's").

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    if a new player quits an mmorpg because he doesnt like how his armor looks, i highly doubt that player would be worth salt anyways.

    people also need to use wardrobe more often to make sets that look amazing rather than whine that not every armor combo looks awe inspiring. i like how my character looks.
    And why would it matter what kept a player coming back? whether it be gear, end game, pvp or pve, all that matters is that they keep paying. Why skimp on the easy **** that can make/break it for a lot of players when they are on the fence between this game and another.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts