+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaelon

Thread: More Live! More Truly Random! Make us Respond!

Rift Disciple

Default More Live! More Truly Random! Make us Respond!

One of the reasons I really enjoy Rift (when it happens) is the bunch of random people groupin up to defeat rifts/ etc.

More please!

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Trion, go MORE random (eg not just spawn on a grid but maybe by "insert random coordinates here"), have invasions invade- seriously, if captains are coming thru from other planes, are they just going to hang by their stone? Heck no! They're going to be out burning, pillaging, etc. Make it so! If enough NPCs die (and stay dead for more than 30 seconds) people may jump back in to help burn these invading b*$***** down, if only to save themselves the delay of the npc being gone for an hour or so. Throw in more random, crazed plane-touched monsters who drop something they've brought from home that is worth fighting for! Get us to their plane so we can go invade their land....

So come on, Trion, give us more truly random kick-butt stuff! We can take it!

Champion

I am a big fan of the idea of planar invasions that actually take over a town. Imagine if a rift openned just north of Three Springs and an invasion force jumps out every 15 seconds for, lets say 5 minutes. These 20 invasion squads move on Three Springs and decimate the NPC population. Even after the initial push, reinforcements come out of the rift at regular intervals (up to a certain limit of course, say 50 invasion squads). And have it stay that way until players clear it out. Days. Weeks! And on a PvP server, if Defiant players clear out Three Springs, have Defiant NPCs spawn there instead of guardians.

Major invasion? Every wardstone in the zone should be a target, in some order resembling tactical, until the invasion is either beat back or every wardstone becomes a foothold AND STAYS THAT WAY until players clear it out.

Without a whole lot of work, this could actually make the entire game a whole lot more "replayable" at all levels, and would certainly improve community. Especially if the planars push the Guardian population into one of the caves in Gloamwood and they had to retake the zone via guerilla warfare or some such. Just spitballing here, but I think most of the PvE'rs and PvP'rs alike could get behind this sort of idea. (Especially the part about taking over another faction's area.)
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

Telaran

they can't go more random... their world is nowhere near as dynamic as they would have you believe. they can't even move from one phase of an event to another without a major patch. no time released content, no evolution, no dynamic changes to the world, just some storms that pop up occassionaly. fun and novel at first, tired and repetitive after a while.

Banned

exactly mythos..

Not sure what definition of dynamic Trion is using when they promote their game, but it far from the one I envisioned.. Even the PvP is a joke.. nothing more then part time skirmishes.. If I was the Rift manager I'd be a little po'd that I was put on the back burner while dungeons and raids get all the help.. LOL

Shadowlander

I like this idea more or less but there is one problem - what will happen when there no people in the zone or not enough people? Yes, the captains should be running around causing havoc because otherwise these invasions look ridiculous. But imagine how quickly footholds will spread and it will be virtually impossible to level and do other stuff. There should be balance - Trion would need to figure it out.

I pretty-much like it with the frequency and intensity they have it currently.

When it's much more than this, people complain that they can't get anything done because of the invasions. It seems to really irk some folks.

A big aspect of the problem is the lvl-50 domination of the game. I haven't been to some of the lower level zones in forever. The ones I have gone to recently, it's for lvl 50 stuff (in Moonshade and Scarwood, and that place between Droughtlands and Freemarch for the water saga). So an invasion in Stonefield or Gloamwood could go on forever without anyone really noticing.
    Last edited by Mulch; 08-15-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mulch View Post

When it's much more than this, people complain that they can't get anything done because of the invasions. It seems to really irk some folks.

A big aspect of the problem is the lvl-50 domination of the game. I haven't been to some of the lower level zones in forever. The ones I have gone to recently, it's for lvl 50 stuff (in Moonshade and Scarwood, and that place between Droughtlands and Freemarch for the water saga). So an invasion in Stonefield or Gloamwood could go on forever without anyone really noticing.
    Unless, Heaven forbid, people started asking for and receiving aid from other players. I'm not yet 50, but I can tell you I would go help out in Silverwood, if someone asked me. (I keep all the lower level chat channels on, though I doubt many do this unless they are after some personal gain.) Matter of fact, once in a while, I do run my mage to Silverwood if i know there is a zone event because I know those newer players are probably going to need a hand. I guess I'm a strange duck in MMOs, actually getting a bit of enjoyment from helping other players.

Before anyone gets defensive, I'm not really trying to flame you personally Mulch. Maybe light a fire under the collective ***** of all the "upper echelon" and get them helping to make the game more enjoyable for new people. And if we actually build a *gasp of all gasps* community, maybe Trion actually could impliment some more fun and dynamic stuff.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

Well that is basically the problem Trion caused with the super fast leveling, minimal want or need on the whole to roll more than 4 characters (if that). Tied with what was supposed to be a dynamic world. You happen to fart twice in a row and you ding 50, then the dynamic content takes a back seat to the instance lobby game, by design.

Quite a strange idea really.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelon View Post
    I am a big fan of the idea of planar invasions that actually take over a town. Imagine if a rift openned just north of Three Springs and an invasion force jumps out every 15 seconds for, lets say 5 minutes. These 20 invasion squads move on Three Springs and decimate the NPC population. Even after the initial push, reinforcements come out of the rift at regular intervals (up to a certain limit of course, say 50 invasion squads). And have it stay that way until players clear it out. Days. Weeks! And on a PvP server, if Defiant players clear out Three Springs, have Defiant NPCs spawn there instead of guardians.

Major invasion? Every wardstone in the zone should be a target, in some order resembling tactical, until the invasion is either beat back or every wardstone becomes a foothold AND STAYS THAT WAY until players clear it out.

Without a whole lot of work, this could actually make the entire game a whole lot more "replayable" at all levels, and would certainly improve community. Especially if the planars push the Guardian population into one of the caves in Gloamwood and they had to retake the zone via guerilla warfare or some such. Just spitballing here, but I think most of the PvE'rs and PvP'rs alike could get behind this sort of idea. (Especially the part about taking over another faction's area.)
    Maybe I should have just posted this under the "replayability" thread or TW's suggestion thread b/c it equally applies to both-

Either way, I fully recognize TW is in it for the money. But it seems like a lot of the qq'ing on the forum is about being bored- having content that directly affects your ability to access npc's or other necessities unless you actually do something about it would, in my mind, alleviate a lot of the tedium. As for those who complain about not being able to get things "done"- screw 'em. Seriously, though- if you really really want to get "something" done and an invasion is on the way, step it up and help defend what you need to use. Not sure that I'm even advocating "major" world events- more just stepping up the background "hum" to keep things active-

I know, I know, way to positive and fan-boyish. But the Rifts are (in my mind) the biggest positive here and I'd love to see a heck of a lot more use being put to them-

Plane Walker

Major rift in Meridian would be sweet. Careful where you go AFK!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Well that is basically the problem Trion caused with the super fast leveling, minimal want or need on the whole to roll more than 4 characters (if that). Tied with what was supposed to be a dynamic world. You happen to fart twice in a row and you ding 50, then the dynamic content takes a back seat to the instance lobby game, by design.
    So that makes me think you gotta bring the dynamic content to the lobby.

Make Sanctum and Meridian vulnerable to pvp sieges. Make them vulnerable to invasions. You'll tick some people off, I'm sure.

But let's say what if you could take out the opposing faction's guild-master guy, and that disabled their perks for 24 hrs. Pretty cool!

So that makes me think you gotta bring the dynamic content to the lobby.

Make Sanctum and Meridian vulnerable to pvp sieges. Make them vulnerable to invasions. You'll tick some people off, I'm sure.

But let's say what if you could take out the opposing faction's guild-master guy, and that disabled their perks for 24 hrs. Pretty cool!
    On rare occasions, one of the big tree abomination thingamabob bosses from the Crusade against House Aelfwar event makes it into Sanctum. Of course being low level even though a boss, he doesn't last too long against the guards but I have seen him as far as the guild bankers, causing mayhem. Quite epic really although short lived.

I stand by my long-ago suggestion of "Great Rifts". Every now and then, randomly (with no warning) a Great Rift will rip itself through the Ward. No tear, no impending Zone Event, nothing.

Just BOOM. Quarter-mile wide Rift that sends enemies to every single Wardstone in the Zone.
    DO EET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxhack View Post
    -snip-
    OP, peruse my resurrected thread if you please. I know you will like what you see.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ifts-grow.html

Join your power with mine, and together we shall rule this galaxy as father and son! Or, something like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

+ Reply to Thread