+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Enemy Pet Targeting

Rift Disciple

Thumbs up Enemy Pet Targeting

Hello RIFT Team,

I would like to make a suggestion for enemy pet targeting. I would recommend placing an option on the targeting tab for characters to "Never Target Enemy Pets" (Unless you manually choose to target a pet). There have been so many times in combat where I spend valuable seconds TABing through targets where several are pets that I never want to target. This would benefit all players.

I would also recommend an option for pets to "Only Target What I Am Targeting". This will help with pet management but will also help eliminate pets attacking an enemy every time they are damaged. Its not necessary for a pet to engage an enemy every time they take damage. Our characters ignore some types of damage and our pets should be able to also.

Thanks in advance for taking my recommendations into consideration.

G

I find my self tartgeting my companion with im tanking to debuff aggo instaid of my healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gueneveve View Post
    Hello RIFT Team,

I would like to make a suggestion for enemy pet targeting. I would recommend placing an option on the targeting tab for characters to "Never Target Enemy Pets" (Unless you manually choose to target a pet). There have been so many times in combat where I spend valuable seconds TABing through targets where several are pets that I never want to target. This would benefit all players.

I would also recommend an option for pets to "Only Target What I Am Targeting". This will help with pet management but will also help eliminate pets attacking an enemy every time they are damaged. Its not necessary for a pet to engage an enemy every time they take damage. Our characters ignore some types of damage and our pets should be able to also.

Thanks in advance for taking my recommendations into consideration.

G
    It has been asked repeatedly and ignored. FWIW this is asked for by PvP players for pets and companions but imo the real problem is on PvE servers where all parties unflagged, tab will often prioritise and cycle enemy player pets that you have zero reason to be targeting at all.

I do recall seeing a patch note way back which said something along the lines of 'tab will be less likely to target enemy player pets'. Probably another patch note that didn't make it into live but usually they do later, this one has disappeared off the face of the earth though. Such a shame as it can be severely game breaking in high pop invasions.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 08-15-2011 at 07:45 AM.

I'm not against it, but I also don't necessarily agree with your first suggestion. I feel that it's just part of the chaos of combat. You should be picking your targets in pvp anyway, not just always tabing to the closest enemy.

An option for your pet to automaticaly share your target could simplify things, and I'd support it, but the available options for your pet now as they are, if you know how to properly use them, work just fine. You can drag pet commands on your command bars btw, and just remove the pet bar completely in edit layout. As soon as you have a target just click your pets attack icon, he will attack whatever you are targeting. Click passive and your pet will not attack anything that attacks him. You can also quickly click on passive if you want your pet to run back to you at any time.

I don't use a pet anymore, but I think I remember the pet not responding to manual attack commands while in passive mode. Making it so your pet responds to a manual attack command in passive mode could fix just as easily the problem, if not, more easily from an implementation view point.

Quote Originally Posted by RimaruTaeho View Post
    I'm not against it, but I also don't necessarily agree with your first suggestion. I feel that it's just part of the chaos of combat. You should be picking your targets in pvp anyway, not just always tabing to the closest enemy.

An option for your pet to automaticaly share your target could simplify things, and I'd support it, but the available options for your pet now as they are, if you know how to properly use them, work just fine. You can drag pet commands on your command bars btw, and just remove the pet bar completely in edit layout. As soon as you have a target just click your pets attack icon, he will attack whatever you are targeting. Click passive and your pet will not attack anything that attacks him. You can also quickly click on passive if you want your pet to run back to you at any time.

I don't use a pet anymore, but I think I remember the pet not responding to manual attack commands while in passive mode. Making it so your pet responds to a manual attack command in passive mode could fix just as easily the problem, if not, more easily from an implementation view point.
    You can no longer tab target companion pets in PvP.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

+ Reply to Thread