+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puzzles & Traps vs. Trash in 5 & 20m content

Telaran

Default Puzzles & Traps vs. Trash in 5 & 20m content

Puzzles and Traps in instances instead of trash, or mixed with trash! I only ever saw this in one other game (AoC) but it was fun and a refreshing change.

Pressure Plates, Boulder traps, Levers to open hidden doorways, floors falling away behind you, walls pushing you off cliffs gradually, etc! You could even mix in trash to add more pressure to complete the obstacle in time, or use traps to kill trash and block doorways where streaming adds come from!

There is just so many ways you can use them to make content refreshing and fun, the only kind of thing I'd suggest not having is having to jump from one area to another repeatedly- people with lower end computers, latency etc. always seem to have trouble with jumping in my experience.

If you like this please Like, and leave constructive criticism and feedback in posts!

Idea seems ok, I am worried about implementation though. Will it work with this game engine? How will you do it so it wont be repetitive and easy to run second time when you know where all the traps are and what are the answers to the puzzles?
    Grim Yollidan the Insomniac, Blightweald EU
    WARNING! Treating my posts too seriously is not advised. Reading may cause headaches, anger, disbelief and nausea. If you find yourself in any of these conditions, please consult your psychotherapist... or your mom. Also cry a river and use a steamboat to cross it. You have been warned!

Telaran

Well, if you do one thing enough it is going to get repetitive no matter what, even if it changes dynamically. I don't know whether or not this games engine could do this, but I'm throwing it out there all the same.

I loved the traps and puzzles in DDO and would prefer those over boring trash mobs but I feel that it would be a waste of development time. After the first run of an instance everyone would figure out how trap/puzzle is done and they would become as pointless as trash mobs. Worst yet if you level slower than the power level crowd the enjoyment of these would not be there because others have already experienced it and will almost always skip if it is possible or if they can not skip it would not be very exciting because they already know the puzzle and the puzzle will become pointless.

+ Reply to Thread