+ Reply to Thread

Thread: With the Rift Expansion, Please Work on Better Music

Default With the Rift Expansion, Please Work on Better Music

Rift has improved on WOW in nearly every way in PVE. However, the music is really lacking. The Rift theme is good, but the rest of the soundtrack is lacking.

Recommend in your next expansion, taking a look at the music. I'm sure it was a cost cutting measure (doing a really good score costs a lot of money), but it's well worth it. I'd use WOW's Wrath of the Lich King soundtrack as an example of a great MMO soundtrack.

Soulwalker

Default couldn't care less

Personally I have always music turned off when I play, so if Trion can save a resources on the music part and spend it on game content instead, I would be a happy man

Huge agreement there. I thought with such composers as those from Heroes of Might and Magic and Dragon Age, it would have been... well, much better than what we currently have.

That said, it's not THAT bad. I find many times I enjoy it.

Worst places (for me so far):
    -most of the combat music, most of it..
    -most of Freemarch
    -Meridian is FAR too short and I get sick of it quickly
    -Gloamwood
    -Scarwood
    -most of Droughtlands and Shimmersand

Best places:
    -Guardian, Sanctum, and Mathosia themes
    -Moonshade Highlands, most of it
    -much of Iron Pine Peak
    -the main part of Stonefield, though outside of it, its drab
    -Terminus is pretty good overall!, I'm just glad that its a temporary area though because that kind of music would grate on me
    -when the battle music gets good, especially in dungeons, I end up really enjoying it. Up the epic please.

The rift music is hit and miss. All of it is acceptable, but I find that much of it gets super tedious to listen to, especially the Death music. I especially enjoy Air!

Basically, Trion should really focus on this stuff. Keeping it largely 'atmospheric' isn't so effective, since people will just play it on mute anyway - creating memorable yet also addictive themes will keep people listening and thusly more immersed in the game world = wanting to stay in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumaan View Post
    Personally I have always music turned off when I play, so if Trion can save a resources on the music part and spend it on game content instead, I would be a happy man
    A lot of MMO players do this, but when it comes to knowing classic themes from WoW, SO MANY players love it and attach it to their love of the game - so again, even if people mute it, if the music is memorable and epic, players will attach it to the game, and moreso think of the game as memorable and epic.

+ Reply to Thread