+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Reasons to add Tournaments/Arena System

Post Reasons to add Tournaments/Arena System

Putting a lot of things into consideration I just want to say that RIFT is the best MMO I have ever played. It has gotten off to an amazing start and Trion has been incredible fixing bugs, adding new content and most importantly listening to the players.

I'm sick of seeing posts that say (Arena ruins the MMO concept and will take away from world PVP so Trion will never add it to RIFT). Warfronts and BGs technically take away from world PvP also, so this statement is invalid. (by the way:
    The Warfronts in RIFT are a lot of fun). PvP rifts are a cool idea but in my opinion if isn't more fun then Warfronts why bother adding it to the game? To give people an extra thing to feel like they have to do even if they don't feel like doing it?

Reasons for adding arena or some sort of tournament system:
    • There are so many different character builds so it will actually be a challenge to figure them out.
    • Gamers like competition! They need more satisfaction then just simply killing someone and walking away. No results are recorded, nothing (ex. World PvP and Warfronts).
    • Increase in the games population. There will be a lot more advertisement for the game. Especially on tournament websites.
    • Need more end-game content to keep people playing. Warfronts, Dungeons, and Raids are great but there still should be a more competitive organized form of PvP.
    If Trion adds a poll on their website that says "Should Trion add Arena to Rift?" I can gaurantee 90% or more people will say yes and 10% or less will say no.

Of course there will be people who say I never want Arena added to this game. Honestly would it really hurt the game by adding something that the majority wants. Even if an Arena Style System is never added to RIFT I at least hope the end of PvP doesn't stop with PvP Rifts.

I also understand that adding an Arena System will be a lot of work. A lot more work then what WoW had to do for their 7-8 Classes. Trion will have a lot of work on their hands if they try to implement it. Since each Calling has 8 Souls.

So anyone who is with me on this one please do whatever you can to let Trion know how much you want it added.

Last edited by xshaded; 08-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Soulwalker

No. Just no.

You want arena? you want tournaments? Go back to WoW, or go play Guild Wars. Please, before your kind ruin Rift like you all did WoW.

Default Nymueh

Nymueh, I'm 23 years old, let me guess your a lot older and have been playing MMOs for a while. Every MMO game these days needs a form of Arena/Tournament based gameplay. I'm sorry but they should cater to today's generation if they want the game to be successful. Blame WoW for introducing Arena. Ever since they did, it will basically be a necessity in any game like it whether 5% of the population including you doesn't want it or not. Since they already have every added and improved every feature WoW has and extras within 7-8 months they are doing an amazing job. The one and only final thing in my opinion that WoW has over this game is Arena. Hands down. I wish more people would agree and post on this forum to let everyone know. I mean maybe they can find a better ranking system then WoW or something to make it more accepted by people who didn't like WoW's version of it.

Default reply....

In reply to the Arena/Tournament post above:

As far as new PvP goes, so far the PvP Rifts are essentially this, whichever faction gets there first wins it. That isn't PvP, that is loot grinding. And I know Trion thought that it was going to be some epic addition to the game but honestly the only reason half the people choose to do it is for the weekly quest.

Continuing on with the PvP that is currently available, world PvP is the next topic. Quite simply world PvP is this, lets go to Stillmoor and **** with people questing. That's it LOL. Again the concept is amazing and I only have seen world PvP happen the way Trion envisioned once, only once when there was a rift boss and the Guardians and Defiant were fighting their way for credit of the kill.

Next is war fronts. In my honest opinion, there is nothing wrong with war fronts except for the queue times which Trion says they are working on. They are now saying another war front is going to be added which I think is a great idea.

What is lacking here is the competitiveness that Player-vs-Player needs. Arena/Tournament gives people an incentive to get better at their class and find different builds that work for their play style which then gives Trion the ability to notice class imbalances. Also, it adds something to do for endgame content. I find myself running around Sanctum for hours it seems due to endless queue times for expert dungeons and warfronts, I can't get in a raid because I'm not geared enough, the dailies that Rift offers aren't worth the time because they give horrid rewards (minus the daily raid and daily PvP).

Arena could be something that ends up giving people more end-game content and a chance to experience an alternative to warfronts and world-PvPing.

Default in reply to xshaded

I agree with you, sir.

Let's be completely serious here though. Rift > WoW, that's why we play it. But almost everything in Rift is a copy of WoW because people are familiar with WoW's system. That being said the arena/tournament system doesn't have to be a copy. The more hardcore PvP'ers are not getting the full effect of this game, How many times are you going to cap points in Codex, or return the flag in the Steppes.

There doesn't necessarily need to be the label "arena", but the PvP'ers of Rift I can guarantee want a smaller 5 person or less warfront/ranked style addition to the game.

I'm mostly against arena style instances, mostly because I don't like instances thinning the open world population. That being said, there would need to be serious restrictions put in place.
    1. Arena combat would definitely need ladders with requirements.
    Tier 1 = P1-2
    Tier 2 = P2-3 etc.
    2. Only pvp gear and weapons allowed.
    3. Matches viewable by anyone that wants to spectate.
    4. No gear with stats gained in arenas. Only bragging rights, titles and wardrobe items.

Then I might reconsider my opinion of arenas.

Default Deadskin you make a great point

These changes would make Arena really good and fair. You wouldn't have to worry about getting destroyed by a team who is way more geared when just starting out.

Default deadskin

This is where we need to be as a community. Rather than denying the fact that it is a major part of any MMO, we should be discussing the options. Good Job!

I'm all for more options in the game. The way Trion has dealt with premades has alienated many of the most devout pvp lovers. I joined this game right as these changes were implemented and it made me not even bother trying to find team orientened pvpers to group with. I can't be bothered to sit in a queue for an hour for a 10 minute match.

I would also like to see the arenas have a match schedule board available in sanctum / meridian. It would be fun to go watch the "big names" duke it out. The more I think about what could be made of this the more I am interested. Perhaps even some betting parlors, and some "title" bouts being a big event.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...dd-arenas.html

You will find that not 90% want arena. On top of that you will find that even Blizzard admitted that arena was a mistake. Though arena gameplay might be fun, the impact on the rest of the game is not to be underestimated.

Ever since they did, it will basically be a necessity in any game like it whether 5% of the population including you doesn't want it or not. Since they already have every added and improved every feature WoW has and extras within 7-8 months they are doing an amazing job. The one and only final thing in my opinion that WoW has over this game is Arena.
    You are making up statistics and your arguments have nothing to do with Rift and are flawed. So because one game did something all other games have to do the same. Then why are there new games being developed and are we not all playing WoW?

Default Another great post

The bulletin board with big upcoming matches in Sanctum and Meridian for everyone to watch would be one of the greatest ideas.

About the way Trion fixed premades. Is this why it's tough to get into BGs with like 2-3 people in a party?

Did they make it so for instance if me and 2 Guardian buddies have a party queued for a Warfront we are not getting in unless there is a group of 3 Defiance queued correct? So this prevents a premade from getting in a Warfront with a non premade. The premades will only go up against the premades. Is this right?

Default Raimla

Raimla, your own website says they like PvP in rift, why not give the competitive players something to strive for?

Quote Originally Posted by Raimla View Post
    You are making up statistics and your arguments have nothing to do with Rift and are flawed. So because one game did something all other games have to do the same. Then why are there new games being developed and are we not all playing WoW?
    What are you talking about I'm just asking that they add some type of Competitive Arena based play to the game for the people who like it. Look at what Cloke and Deadskin said maybe it will make more sense to you. Deadskin came up with ways to make a completely different but great version of arena. I agree that WoW's version of Arena is terrible but the idea of Arena is great.

You wanna talk about made up statistics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimla View Post
    On top of that you will find that even Blizzard admitted that arena was a mistake.
    Lets be real show proof of this.
    Last edited by xshaded; 08-12-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloke View Post
    Raimla, your own website says they like PvP in rift, why not give the competitive players something to strive for?
    That is not the reason I am against arena. The reason I already gave in the thread I linked. Just because players in our guild enjoy PvP does not mean we enjoy all kind of PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by xshaded View Post
    WLets be real show proof of this.
    We really never designed WoW to be a competitive e-sports game; it was something that we decided to start tackling because there was such a desire and demand to evolve it in that direction, to introduce competitive arenas. I'm not sure that that was the right thing to do with the game.
    Link

Is it really so hard to read that other thread I linked?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast