+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class-based Need

Telaran

Default Class-based Need

I just had some more gear Needed away from me by a class that cannot use it in any needful way. (Chain with Int / Wis / Focus, went to a warrior.) This is probably the third time in as many days, which is more frequent than it should be. PUGs need babysitters apparently.

90% of the time, it's not that hard to discern what gear should go to each class. In fact, it's pretty clear cut. Coding in a roll priority at this point would be in everyone's best interest (except would-be thieves). If there's any valid ambiguity as to where a piece should go, then let all likely classes access the "Need" roll option.

For example, a cleric probably doesn't need a sword, being that they cannot equip it. Any reason they'd want that sword would fall under "greed", vending or salvaging. A warrior and cleric may each have a valid claim on a "+Block" ring or amulet, but a mage shouldn't get to roll Need on that.

Also I suggest making all planarite (shards etc) greed only, or need only; if you implement the Need before Greed stuff above, a lot of players will default to believing anything they can need gives them the right to roll on it. This extra measure would alleviate any fights that happen over ambiguity.

If this is already an option among the loot types, please make it the new default for all LFD groups.
    Thanks.

Telaran

tank spec guys keep needing on DPS gear in dungeons--this also needs to be taken into consideration...see I feel that if you queue as DPS you should only roll on DPS drops unless you ask and the others say it is cool. And when tanks roll need on DPS gear...with out asking if the DPS needs it is uncool as well.

Last night in a LONG eDSM's at the last boss a nice epic DPS dagger drops, our tank is a rogue, but has fantastic gear, I have decent gear, but the dagger would have have been a huge upgrade. I notice everyone has picked greed (besides myself who chose need) but the tank has not clicked...until the timer is almost out...then he needs the dagger then leaves (after winning the dps dagger). I was not real happy at that point.

I really wish Trion would do something...

(my friend who is a warrior has had this happen to him 3 times, he is now rolling on everything for a warrior now until this is fixed...I guess I will do the same)

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos View Post
    tank spec guys keep needing on DPS gear in dungeons--this also needs to be taken into consideration...see I feel that if you queue as DPS you should only roll on DPS drops unless you ask and the others say it is cool. And when tanks roll need on DPS gear...with out asking if the DPS needs it is uncool as well.

Last night in a LONG eDSM's at the last boss a nice epic DPS dagger drops, our tank is a rogue, but has fantastic gear, I have decent gear, but the dagger would have have been a huge upgrade. I notice everyone has picked greed (besides myself who chose need) but the tank has not clicked...until the timer is almost out...then he needs the dagger then leaves (after winning the dps dagger). I was not real happy at that point.

(my friend who is a warrior has had this happen to him 3 times, he is now rolling on everything for a warrior now until this is fixed...I guess I will do the same)
    many tanks doing random instances see their tank spec as off spec as their not tanking in raids, or just prefer playing DPS instead of tank.

but they queue and play as tank to help shorten queues, the balance tanks to other players would get a lot worse if sombody who is tanking can't roll on DPS gear which is his main spec.

Telaran

The funny thing...when my friend later rolled on a tank item he was *****ed out by the tank since he was DPS spec at the time(by the tank that rolled and won earlier a DPS piece).

Good point OP. Only change would make is calling not class. Reason is say you are a Rogue and DPS but also have a tank role. In that case should be allowed to need the leather also.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Plane Walker

Default bonuses on need roles

asign each pierce of gear the role it id intended for

then give the next bonuses on need roles.
    +10 class paropriate armor ( mage-cloth rougue-leather priest-chain warrior-plate)
    +10 if you have a roll matching the role of the equipment being roled for.
    +10 fi your current role matches the role of the armor piece being roled for.

so a tanking priest that is tanking when item drops would have a +30 on need roles for chain tanking gear.
    ap priest that is healing but does have a tanking build would have a +20 on need roles on chain tanking gear
    any priest regardless of the roles he has has a +10 bonus on need rolls for chain gear

Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos View Post

So you think the Rogue weapon shouldn't have gone to a Rogue? Or rather, shouldn't have gone to a Rogue other than you?

People in my groups are free to roll on anything they'll use in any spec. Restricting drops to people who happen to be playing that particular role at that particular time is simply a tool used by greedy players so they'll have a better chance of getting the drops they want faster.

Shadowlander

I have mentioned before of a system that would fix most of this. Wouldn`t fix it all because you will always encounter loot ****** and ninjas. But when items drop for loot rolling that are calling specific for blue quality and up. The group members of the calling are only allowed to roll and get first shot at that loot. If they both pass if it isnt an upgrade then the item goes up for a normal group greed roll, whether you wanna sell it or salvage it or whatever.

This stops any calling from rolling need and potentially stealing an item from a party member who it was designed for. The system isn`t perfect but it would be a good start and you wouldn`t see posts about warriors ninja`in rogue gear and other callings doing the same to whoever.

Contrary to the belief that Warrior DPS Rolls on leather to be 'ninja'-y is false. At the current instance of the game, Physical Critical Hit is the best stat for a Warrior, which comes in abundance on Leather DPS Gear in the form of High Dexterity and Physical Crit Hit over Attack Power. BUT if a warrior's rolling for the gear he has some serious issues as they're supposed to be taking the items in the Plaque Vendors for their leather (which are actually the best pieces for them).

But to get back on topic I agree with the Roll-Augmenting idea above. The person filling the Role, and Calling the piece is intended for should have the highest chance to get it.

Soulwalker

Yes. End of response.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by edwinSu View Post
    assign each piece of gear the role it is intended for

then give the following bonuses on need roles:
    +10 class appropriate armor ( mage-cloth rogue-leather priest-chain warrior-plate)
    +10 if you have a role matching the role of the equipment being rolled for.
    +10 if your current role matches the role of the armor piece being rolled for.

so a tanking priest that is tanking when item drops would have a +30 on need roles for chain tanking gear.
    a priest that is healing but does have a tanking build would have a +20 on need roles on chain tanking gear
    any priest regardless of the roles he has has a +10 bonus on need rolls for chain gear
    I like that idea. It means people have a better chance to get the stuff they're more likely to use, without completely eliminating the possibility of someone getting non-class/role stuff they might be able to use in other situations.

(I fixed a couple spelling/grammar things in the quote, not to be a jerk, but to make it a bit more clear. Hope you don't mind.)

No. Not until RIFT has better itemization for plate gear/1h and 2h weapon's. the only decent item I've seen is a 2her off of Joloral Ragetide, 51/52 dex.

Other than that, I'll buy plate T3..praying to someone that they fix Str/AP scaling, but if no rogue needs a leather drop. MINE. If theirs a good 1her, rogue or not. MINE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

I think that the loot table for a particular instance should be purchaseable by that instance's faction quartermaster. All boss drops should award a random loot bag. end of ninjas

+ Reply to Thread