+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adebar

Thread: Wear The Gear You Can See

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Proclivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    115

    Default Wear The Gear You Can See

    I was wondering why Trion hasn't allowed the wearing in wardrobe the gear that seems allowable but because I wear leather as a Rogue I cannot wear a Cloth item on my character. Why? Because I see it as the issue of having the ability to make my toons look any way I want (within game logic) which just makes the game that much more personel. Think in the terms of Aion...where you could make your gear and weps look the way you thought this stuff should look. And then the added feature of blocking the ability to view the gear you really are wearing. If you dont know for sure what the other is wearing you are taking that chance that they have or have not some kick butt stuff under their Wardrobe. Then after that they can work on the crafting so we can make very high class weps and even go as far as combining them to augment both features into one weapon or gear...oh my.
    Last edited by Proclivity; 08-10-2011 at 03:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant July13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    I understand roleplayers like wardrobe for roleplay but if you roleplay in Rift you need to roleplay your combat role assigned to you as your reason of existence in game. The player is the character that the Vigil chose to defeat the Blood Storm and save Telara or as characters that were sent back when the Guardians eventually fail to defeat Blood Storm and save Telara and you need to defeat Blood Storm without the Blessings of the Vigil and explore the Vigil forbidden technology to make up for the lack of Divine Gifts. Player Characters job and role in game are suppose to be as the front lines army. So most of the time these Ascended Heroes will be wearing the uniform of their job.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    411

    Default

    wel some people would see a problem form PVP with players that totaly look like their class,.
    some even see problems for PVP as the sistem is now making it hard to judge on apearance if an enemy in PVP if an enemy is sombody that you can face 1 on 1 or a rank 6 fully geared that wil chop you to pieces if you try.

    posible solution:
    when turning on pvp enemy players see you in the gear that you actualy wear, and whwn PVP is not active you can wear any kind of armor you want.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Talila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by July13th View Post
    I understand roleplayers like wardrobe for roleplay but if you roleplay in Rift you need to roleplay your combat role assigned to you as your reason of existence in game. The player is the character that the Vigil chose to defeat the Blood Storm and save Telara or as characters that were sent back when the Guardians eventually fail to defeat Blood Storm and save Telara and you need to defeat Blood Storm without the Blessings of the Vigil and explore the Vigil forbidden technology to make up for the lack of Divine Gifts. Player Characters job and role in game are suppose to be as the front lines army. So most of the time these Ascended Heroes will be wearing the uniform of their job.
    The options to listed there are not a requirement, just wanted to point that out. As a roleplayer, you decide what direction within the lore you want to go. So for example if you want to play a character that is a non-ascended on the guardian side, that's perfectly fine - as long as you stick to the lore and accept that the ascended are stronger than you

    As for the whole item type restriction thing, as far as I know it was restricted because the PvP'ers were complaining that they wouldn't be able to tell a mage from a rogue (not like one has a blue bar the other one a pink one.. at aaalll... *sarcasm*)
    But as I see it at least on guardian side you have the option to get the mathosian armor costume set crafted by an armorsmith, and that set well.. No matter how you're going about it your mage/rogue/duck will look a lot more like a tank when wearing that set. Because the set is a costume item it is not restricted to a specific armor type (such as leather/cloth)
    .. So all in all the restriction seems to be there for no point at all. I doubt loot-disputes over wardrobe item slots is going to be a big problem, I mean, we already don't really hear about warriors ninja'ing a dress to from someone else because it looks pretty, which they'd be able to without the wardrobe function.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Noaani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    The options to listed there are not a requirement, just wanted to point that out. As a roleplayer, you decide what direction within the lore you want to go. So for example if you want to play a character that is a non-ascended on the guardian side, that's perfectly fine - as long as you stick to the lore and accept that the ascended are stronger than you
    Explain how you get resurrected.

    That is a function of being an Ascended.

    Explain how you can use a sorce machine/sigil. They cause harm to any non-Ascended.

    Seriously, if your going to role play, learn the lore better than someone like me that hardly even reads the quests.

    Role playing a non-Ascended in Rift is no different to role playing a Jedi in Rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Talila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    Explain how you get resurrected.

    That is a function of being an Ascended.

    Explain how you can use a sorce machine/sigil. They cause harm to any non-Ascended.

    Seriously, if your going to role play, learn the lore better than someone like me that hardly even reads the quests.

    Role playing a non-Ascended in Rift is no different to role playing a Jedi in Rift.
    If you're roleplaying a non-ascended, you don't get the perks of being an ascended, so you don't get to use the sigils and you don't get to be resurrected That is what I meant with adapting to the lore. Where as most of the population was wiped out, there's still things in the lore and the game world that suggests that non-ascendants are still around and alive.
    My main point here is that you don't have to stick to the stereotype if you want to roleplay in Rift
    And to avoid further thread-derailing I suggest that you open a thread in the lore section if you want to discuss the subject further

  7. #7
    Ascendant July13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    If you're roleplaying a non-ascended, you don't get the perks of being an ascended, so you don't get to use the sigils and you don't get to be resurrected That is what I meant with adapting to the lore. Where as most of the population was wiped out, there's still things in the lore and the game world that suggests that non-ascendants are still around and alive.
    My main point here is that you don't have to stick to the stereotype if you want to roleplay in Rift
    And to avoid further thread-derailing I suggest that you open a thread in the lore section if you want to discuss the subject further
    I hope you do not use any souls when you roleplay your non-ascended characters and I hope you have fun roleplaying in the starter areas since you are not ascended. For those that do roleplay and and actually participate in the game (you are ascended-you are a hero-you battle or assist in battles for a faction).
    Last edited by July13th; 08-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.

  8. #8
    Shield of Telara Adebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Yeah. Aragorn was a warrior, but almost the entire time he wore leather and chainmail.

    Conan is a warrior, he wears cloth/leather, and very little of it.

    Just because you're a warrior, doesn't mean you were a refridgerator. Same goes for all classes. There are cases in each class with them wearing different armor other than cloth/leather/chain/plate.

    I PvP more often than I PvE, and I'd like this change to be added. The PvP'ers that don't want it are just finding something to complain about. It wouldn't effect PvP in the slightest. You can tell somebody's class by their resource bar and their buffs, and if you engage somebody bases on their class and gear, you aren't PvP'ing, you're being a coward and beating up on people that are weaker than you.

    So Trion, please, from a PvP'er, PLEASE, implement cross-armor-type Wardrobe.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

    Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

  9. #9
    Ascendant July13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
    Yeah. Aragorn was a warrior, but almost the entire time he wore leather and chainmail.

    Conan is a warrior, he wears cloth/leather, and very little of it.
    Aragorn and Conan didn't need a wardrobe or have access to a wardrobe. They were awesome even when wearing not awesome gear. If you are that awesome that you can wear cloth for your warrior-go ahead and wear the cloth without a wardrobe system giving you plate stats. If you need the gear to be awesome for your calling you should wear the uniform of that calling.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Mephane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwinSu View Post
    wel some people would see a problem form PVP with players that totaly look like their class,.
    some even see problems for PVP as the sistem is now making it hard to judge on apearance if an enemy in PVP if an enemy is sombody that you can face 1 on 1 or a rank 6 fully geared that wil chop you to pieces if you try.
    The point is already moot. Quite some people run around in "underwear" style starting equipment lookalike costume. You have some mages and tanks and healers etc all looking the same because of those. So if anyone wants to disguise, they already have sufficient means, dropping the restrictions wouldn't do any more harm.
    The Wardisitor - because sometimes you just can't decide!

  11. #11
    Ascendant Romiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,106

    Thumbs down

    It is best way it is. And you can get special items that look like other armor.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

  12. #12
    Soulwalker Elairant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    The point has been made several times in this thread and I'd just like to support wearing whatever you want in your wardrobe. I'm not really a fan of Mages in plate just because I think that's a little rediculous, but you can't control everything. Warriors can already roll on cloth gear for roleplay purposes because they CAN wear it. In PvP, if you can't tell what your enemy is when you select them and look at their info panel, then you probably are either spamming a skill ( I've been guilty of this many times and hey, that full size Bahmi looks like he's wearing plate >.>) and not paying attention, or blind. You can already wear starter class armor from any calling with certain costume slots. There are costume items that make you look like you're in full plate. Either keep it the way it is now, or make it so that every class can wear any armor in their wardrobe slots. v.v The only other option would be to make it so that if you can wear it, you can put it in your wardrobe, and that honestly would be a bit of a slap in the face for mages.

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara Adebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by July13th View Post
    Aragorn and Conan didn't need a wardrobe or have access to a wardrobe. They were awesome even when wearing not awesome gear. If you are that awesome that you can wear cloth for your warrior-go ahead and wear the cloth without a wardrobe system giving you plate stats. If you need the gear to be awesome for your calling you should wear the uniform of that calling.
    But that's the thing.

    They didn't have to rely on gear. But in this game, no matter how you put it, you DO rely on gear.

    The least Trion could do is make it LOOK like we don't rely on gear.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

    Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

  14. #14
    Shadowlander Hrazai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwinSu View Post
    posible solution:
    when turning on pvp enemy players see you in the gear that you actualy wear, and whwn PVP is not active you can wear any kind of armor you want.
    And that would change what exactly? Okay, so that R6 warrior isn't looking like a level 2 anymore - but there's still the problem that his mighty R6 gear looks like.. well... all the other stuff.

    But anyway, I'd like to have an option turn off every other players' wardrobes client-side.
    Last edited by Hrazai; 08-12-2011 at 03:13 AM.

  15. #15
    Plane Walker Raimla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    429

    Default

    I think the wardrobe should allow you to wear anything. And for the pvp argument, is it really that hard to code that you see same faction members in their wardrobe gear and cross faction members in their battle gear? That way you can also see faster what class someone is playing in the mathosian set and it does help as you cannot check all the blue/pink/yellow bars of all the players around you that fast.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts