+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remove soul training

Plane Walker

Default Remove soul training

I'm not quite sure what the purpose it serves going to the class trainer and dumping a lot of cash to rank up all of your abilities. It seems to be nothing more than a money sink.

Abilities should not have ranks, they should just scale with your level.

Flame away and tell me how this is the worst idea ever because it makes Rift too easy...

It IS a money sink... having less things to spend your money on while leveling makes your cash pile get a hell of a lot bigger, and more amounts of money in the economy is usualy a bad thing because of inflation, the game needs money sinks or eventually stuff will cost ridiculous prices on the AH and it makes you work for those pleasentrys that you have to buy (mounts comes to mind)

Plane Walker

So soul training is there to kurb runaway inflation?

How clever of these economic masterminds to add such a pointless excercise for the greater good.

...Meanwhile, back in reality, it's still a pointless money sink.
    Last edited by Behindya; 08-08-2011 at 12:26 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

I don't think it should be removed. Having your abilities magically scale with your level takes out the whole point with that you don't just learn things mysteriously. The perspective of training and learning through a mentor is, especially on the mage area, quite visible. I'd much rather visit a trainer, perhaps it's a more symbolic thing than something actually intended for the player to see as a good, new and innovative feature.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Plane Walker

There's nothing symbolic about it. You open a screen, mash a button and watch your money disappear. Maybe if there was some sort of meta-game around it, where in you earned your new skills, then I would understand.

i like having to train, and my opinion is better than yours.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    i like having to train, and my opinion is better than yours.
    Yes. Yes it is indeed.

Plane Walker

True the modern approach is scaling abilities according to level
    True trainer scaling is a money sink on purpose (really very expensive when it comes to high levels and more roles)
    But I think regarding economy Rift is the mmo Dinosaur where farmers, gold sellers and other pets have lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Behindya View Post
    So soul training is there to kurb runaway inflation?

How clever of these economic masterminds to add such a pointless excercise for the greater good.

...Meanwhile, back in reality, it's still a pointless money sink.

That's exactly what it is, for economic reasons. For the same reason that sending mail in-game costs postage, and the auction house requires deposits. There is an infinite amount of money being generated through quests and looting mobs. If all money generated like this were only moved between players, there would be a serious issue with inflation. It is basic economics.

Is Rift your first MMO? Because, I can't think of one that hasn't used these means to curb inflation.
    Last edited by Chip Jiggins; 08-08-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemaunder View Post
    It IS a money sink... having less things to spend your money on while leveling makes your cash pile get a hell of a lot bigger, and more amounts of money in the economy is usualy a bad thing because of inflation, the game needs money sinks or eventually stuff will cost ridiculous prices on the AH and it makes you work for those pleasentrys that you have to buy (mounts comes to mind)
    Wait...

What you're saying is everybody would have more money, so the AH stuff would cost more, but we'd have more difficulty butying stuff with static prices when we have more money.....

I think inflation is only a bad thing when there's a limit on how much money can be generated. Because the larger our average platinum amount, the more stuff costs, but EVERYBODY will have more money, so it won't be a bad thing, it would be about the same, just with higher number amounts on both ends.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Greek View Post
    True the modern approach is scaling abilities according to level
    True trainer scaling is a money sink on purpose (really very expensive when it comes to high levels and more roles)
    But I think regarding economy Rift is the mmo Dinosaur where farmers, gold sellers and other pets have lots of fun
    the "modern" approach is catering to people who dont really want to play the game. id prefer to play a game that requires playing, not one that plays itself for me or purposely removes content because it inconveniences people. what some people consider inconvenient, i consider a rite of passage. for example, in wow, you used to have to reach a certain rep with a faction to do their dungeons on a higher difficulty. it took a little effort, and then you were rewarded. people whined that it was too much effort and had the first step removed so they could jump directly into the reward.

cornflakes.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    the "modern" approach is catering to people who dont really want to play the game. id prefer to play a game that requires playing, not one that plays itself for me or purposely removes content because it inconveniences people. what some people consider inconvenient, i consider a rite of passage. for example, in wow, you used to have to reach a certain rep with a faction to do their dungeons on a higher difficulty. it took a little effort, and then you were rewarded. people whined that it was too much effort and had the first step removed so they could jump directly into the reward.

cornflakes.
    WoW even made playing too easy! Original EQ - WAY back when - made you really have to work at stuff and it made it fun in a sort of sado-masochistic sense that everyone could giggle about. Is it really that inconvenient and implausible to run to a class trainer to skill up your abilities? Remember, you ARE playing a role-playing game, so you would not naturally learn a new ability, spell or skill just because you leveled - you have to be taught that new spell, skill or ability, hence the RP purpose behind the trainer. If anything, they've made it much too easy in this latest patch when they removed the quests to gain the new souls! Seriously, how much more easy/lazy enabling do you want your game to be?

Lets take a look at wow. When they removed the cost for abilities, armor/mats etc shot up making the Auction House a pointless place to spend your time. Im terrible at making money but imo, not having the money makes getting something more worthwhile, i worked hard to make the money and am now proud of my 110% mount. If i didnt have to spend platinum on training, the luxury items would be taken for granted ;)

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Jiggins View Post
    That's exactly what it is, for economic reasons. For the same reason that sending mail in-game costs postage, and the auction house requires deposits. There is an infinite amount of money being generated through quests and looting mobs. If all money generated like this were only moved between players, there would be a serious issue with inflation. It is basic economics.

Is Rift your first MMO? Because, I can't think of one that hasn't used these means to curb inflation.
    I have 3 arguments against this.

1) If it is just to curb inflation, why not just make respeccing cost more and negate the need to mash the button on training? Simply increase the cost of respeccing to what it would be to train everything up.

2) This would only curb inflation if it was something we all had to do a lot. But the cost is minimal as you level and respeccing aint that frequent due to having multiple roles.

3) There are better ways to curb inflation. This is just a screen where we mash a button and money disappears; that's it. It's crap. It's a pointless exercise with the perception of choice. You have no choice, you have to click that button over and over or else your skills will be too underpowered.

I actually think it has a negative impact in the game, we have this awesome soul combination system, but it's expensive to tinker with. I think most people will just google for min/max builds and spec just the once. If we lowered this cost by removing training, maybe we'd see more variation in builds. And maybe we could come up with more fun and active ways to do both training and various money sinking activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindya View Post
    2) This would only curb inflation if it was something we all had to do a lot. But the cost is minimal as you level and respeccing aint that frequent due to having multiple roles.

I actually think it has a negative impact in the game, we have this awesome soul combination system, but it's expensive to tinker with.
    lolwut

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast