+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Siege Rifts: World PvP Meta-objective

Lightbulb Siege Rifts: World PvP Meta-objective

Here's the skinny; Succeed at completing a set number of PvP Rifts world-wide, and your Headquarters/City launches a direct attack against the other faction's stronghold, with the goal being to kill the enemy's Leadership. Guardians would march on Meridian, Defiants would likewise march against Sanctum.

The idea fleshes out a bit, and definitely counts as "dynamic content"; the players are responsible for the success or failure, or even spawning, of this event.

Combat buffs
    Every week, a World Quest for the Defiants (and Guardians) activates in their main Headquarters with the objective to Complete 100 PvP Rifts. The progress of the opposing faction is kept track of; this is a Race-type quest, of sorts. Each Rift completed grants that side 1 point towards their count, but also grants the other side a slight advantage in the field.

This means that if the Guardians are ahead by 50 Rifts, the Defiants will gain 10 stacks of "Urgency", each stack increasing damage in PvP combat by 1% and reducing PvP damage taken by 1%, worldwide for those who are on the quest (level 50s).

For every 10 PvP Rifts closed or completed by a faction, a Sortie will be launched against the enemy's capital. This squad of 20 NPCs would be level 50 elites, capable of busting through Sanctum or Meridian's primary defenses (though just barely). With a strong defense, they could be stopped (we assume that a sizable number of level 50 players will be in the city at any given time).

(For every "Siege" event that happens, such as Sorties or completed PvP Rifts, a faction-wide warning will be displayed to alert players of what has just happened.)

Once a side reaches 100 PvP Rifts Completed, however, a Portal Rift is opened outside the enemy's city. This is a very large, very powerful PvP Rift (a "Siege Rift") that opens up beyond either Sanctum Bridge, or the Meridian bailey. Defiant Commanders and Guardian Captains begin streaming out of this Rift and charge to the heart of the city, while a temporary Porticulum spawns to let in the Players.

This new Porticulum (at the center of said Siege Rift) allows Guardians or Defiant to stream into Freemarch or Silverwood and push into the city. Defiants get an objective to kill the 3 Guardian Leaders, and Guardians similarly are tasked with eliminating the Defiant command.

Remember, the side that wins the PvP Rift race is the one that gets the Siege Rift. The Rift has numerous stages, with prominent figures from each side showing up to defend the Porticulum (the Leadership from the assaulting faction would help lead the charge into the enemy city to assassinate the high command). If the defenders can manage to close the Siege Rift, the Porticulum is disabled and the defenders will gain a combat buff (but the event is not canceled; remember, there's still the force inside the city, hell-bent on killing some Ascended Generals).

Each side must thus choose to either attack or defend, and Favor Rewards would be doubled for those that participate.

To the victor go the spoils...
    Successful defense against a Siege Rift yields fairly good PvP Rewards (yes, even for Lowbies who toss in their spells to help out). However, a successful assault (either Cyrill or Orpheil being dead, depending on who's attacking) yields the very best loot, with each player getting at least 1 epic pvp Gear piece on-par with their Prestige rank, and all sorts of goodies.

Thoughts? Suggestions or comments?
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

I realize my given values (namely the number of PvP Rifts to complete) are a bit out of whack. Overlook that... I'm truthfully not sure how many PvP Rifts any one faction on a shard can be expected to complete in a week. 100? 200? 500? I leave that sort of thing to the Devs.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this. Having not played any games with open-world RvR, I'd like to know how this stacks up against existing games, and any suggestions coming from that experience are welcomed. =]
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-05-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Considering what happens once the Siege Rift is closed... perhaps the Defenders should not get a buff, but the attackers do instead.

Something like, all combat-ready Guardians (or Defiants, if they're attacking) gain "Stranded", granting +20% outgoing PvP Damage while within Meridian (or Sanctum, if the Defiants are attacking), for 20 minutes after the Porticulum is destroyed.

This places a particular urgency on stopping the enemy at the gate, then stopping the Rift; the downside is, of course, that Player reinforcements can arrive at any time so long as the Porticulum is up.

The port doesn't even need to be a proper 2-way Porticulum, either. Could just be a "landing pad" where members of your faction can show up, but cannot exit from. Once you're in Freemarch, you've gotta find your own way out.

/cast Revive Thread.

The PvP Rifts had some exploits, yes, but assuming they get fixed... I'd like to see some true incentive to get them done. Not just participate, but win!

Honestly, if something like this were implemented, I might actually start PvP'ing. To me PvP is just a mindless grind, but this would make it a hell of a lot more interesting. (Hopefully with Achievements too!)

With the good things comes the complainers though, people would rant about their city being attacked during their crafting/dueling times, so you'd have to grant some kind of incentive to defend their city other than HKs, maybe costume pieces for the achievements for defending your city similar to the Guard outfits.

Regardless, /signed

Plane Walker

sounds nice as PVP server only event, this ecouse it would have so much impact on the worls it would be hard to ignore.

and some players play on PVE server so they can totaly ignore PVP

Quote Originally Posted by Kudaran View Post
    Honestly, if something like this were implemented, I might actually start PvP'ing. To me PvP is just a mindless grind, but this would make it a hell of a lot more interesting. (Hopefully with Achievements too!)

With the good things comes the complainers though, people would rant about their city being attacked during their crafting/dueling times, so you'd have to grant some kind of incentive to defend their city other than HKs, maybe costume pieces for the achievements for defending your city similar to the Guard outfits.

Regardless, /signed
    Achievements and titles if you kill X number of enemy players inside your city, and a similar one for killing X number of enemy players inside their city.
    Morvick of the Honor Guard (Kill 100 different enemy players inside Sanctum)
    Morvick the Crusader (Kill 100 different enemy players inside Meridian)
    etc.

Killing people in Sanctum's "Bahralt Street" would earn you Crafting Plaques, for instance. Kills while in "Thedeor's Circle" grant extra PvP rewards like Favor and Marks. Stuff like that; sack the city!

It just feels like there needs to be more of a "purpose" to what we do, rather than "wait 10 minutes for it to despawn".

Like if we lose X number of Zone Invasions, then a powerful Rift could open outside each Headquarters (Sanctum or Meridian) and push monsters in towards the actual stronghold, instead of the front step like Sanctum Watch.
    Might require that a few level 50 Wardstones be placed inside each city, but that'd provide cool incentive and possibilities for content that threatened your very Faction. I'd like that.
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-23-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Banned

Except I hear Defiant out number Guardian almost 2 to 1 ratio.. I would hate to be Guardian..

Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    Except I hear Defiant out number Guardian almost 2 to 1 ratio.. I would hate to be Guardian..
    At least on Faeblight, you'd be correct. Still, the advantage always goes to the defenders.

Oh for want of a third Faction...
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-23-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Wouldn't this also serve to de-incentivize the PvP Rift exploitation? After all, now you are hurting your chances to destroy the enemy capital.

EDIT: spelling
    Last edited by mambome; 08-23-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mambome View Post
    Wouldn't this also serve to de-incentivize the PvP Rift exploitation? After all, now you are hurting your chances to destroy the enemy capital.

EDIT: spelling
    It would indeed.

And I'm sure plenty of PvE incentives could be thought up as well, or maybe even a PvE alternative. I recognize that there are many who would not participate, with PvE being their slice of cake. Then again, a lot could be said for the PvP Rifts -- they got me into PvP, and with me being a non-competitive person that's a very large accomplishment.
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-23-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Plane Touched

Would this type of PvP be the entire shard, or would it include multiple shards like DAoC's system? Also what would happen on servers where one faction greatly outnumbers the other? You said the advantage would go to the defenders, but what if the opposing faction helped the siege? That could completely decimate the less populated factions capital.

Your idea is a gem in the rough, a little refinement may be neccessary, but it's a good idea.

Maybe while the Siege Rift is going on, either Freemarch or Silverwood (depending on who's attacking) would have a Zone Event at the hands of the Guardians or Defiant.

These may not necessarily work using Rifts, per se, but alternative methods of "transportation". For instance, I imagine that the Guardians would use a blooming Holy Light in place of Rifts, and could pour into Freemarch through that. The Defiant would tear open a set of white-hot portals that could transport them to Silverwood. After that, the Invasions run much like many others you've done, except now all the mobs are variations on the crusaders or the militants. The Event Bosses could be a Vigil Angel for the Guardians, or a War Machine for the Defiants.

Give something for the PvE'ers to do while the PvPers hold the city, or vice-versa. Methinks it has some promise, what about you?

Sounds nice but a few issues.

-What measures would be in place to make sure low level characters can still have fun in this ?
    -Would the region you go into be instaced such as Warhammers city fights ?
    -What would be the consequences of failing to kill the enemy citys leader ?
    Last edited by Warbs; 08-23-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihas2buckets View Post
    Would this type of PvP be the entire shard, or would it include multiple shards like DAoC's system? Also what would happen on servers where one faction greatly outnumbers the other? You said the advantage would go to the defenders, but what if the opposing faction helped the siege? That could completely decimate the less populated factions capital.

Your idea is a gem in the rough, a little refinement may be neccessary, but it's a good idea.
    Currently, I don't see any way beside the Warfronts or Dungeons for players from other Shards to play alongside each other. While I wish it were otherwise... eh, there it is.

As for being outnumbered, I still maintain that the defenders have;
    1) knowledge that the enemy is coming
    2) patrolling NPCs
    3) passive buffs given for having lost the "race"
    If that's not enough, then we need to first deal with repopulating the disadvantaged Faction before continueing, I guess. That's notoriously hard to do with only 2 factions, and with they having such different mentalities (and attracting such different people).

The idea is for the opposing faction to help with their own Siege. That's what makes the element a PvP one, but see above for my suggestion towards a PvE element (which I think should not be ignored).
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-23-2011 at 12:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast