+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roll automatically for crafting materials in dungeons, like other loot?

Rift Disciple

Default Roll automatically for crafting materials in dungeons, like other loot?

Since the party rolls on each piece of gear, could everyone also be given a chance to roll on crafting resources in dungeons. This would prevent situations where those in the front of the column claim first dibs on (often somewhat rare) crafting resources throughout most of the instance.

Would it be feasible for a roll window to pop up when someone starts to grab the wood or ore, so that those who wish have a chance may roll Need or Greed? This would be consistent with the rest of the dungeon loot.

Of course there's the old "who is abusing Need" talk after that. Still, at least when everyone rolls, we all get some opportunity. As it is we have options about combat gear, but the front line elbows in on crafting goods.
    Last edited by Stormytime; 08-05-2011 at 03:46 AM.

The last thing I need is another loot pop up window.

If you want to take turns on the nodes, just say so in group chat. If they say "sure," no problem. If they say "nope, they're all mine," find another group or deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireforge View Post
    Your patience is completely unnecessary in this matter. You put a quarter in the machine and you need your gumball. It's cool.
    Your "Likes" fuel me.
    E . ` ' / . F
    Selling 1.4 Crafting Components. X-Shard Delivery Available.

Rift Disciple

Well I don't like the pop up windows sticking in the middle of the screen. Lately I found that you can grab the middle of the party roles window and at least push it out of the way. Either we weren't able to do this before, or I never grabbed it in quite the right way before. Still not great, but the precise location and timing can be worked out.

I do happen to think it would also be ideal if we didn't have any of these rolls smack in the middle of combat. Still, I imagine some people enjoy grabbing and equipping new loot while they're fighting. Personally, I find it very distracting to compare gear when I'm stll trying to fight. That is a separate timing issue that could be overcome.

As I see it, gear is rolled on for a good reason. Small quantities of uncommon crafting materials could reasonably be treated the same way, for the short time it takes to pick them up in a dungeon. Perhaps the timer could be shorter for crafting material rolls than for combat gear rolls. I don't go looking in inventory to compare wood and ore with ones I already have. I usually know right away whether it makes sense to try for that.
    Last edited by Stormytime; 08-05-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Well, you can't equip anything but weapons in combat, so the people looting in combat are just antsy to see if they can grab something and use the good 'ol fashioned 'oops misclick' on the BoE purples.

Anyway, crafting materials aren't really...drops for the whole group. There's no point in rolling on them with a loot roll window type thing.

You could always...you know...type out something.

For instance, I just mine/harvest/skin until I see someone else do it, and then I say 'Hey, sorry, didn't know you were a miner/forager/butcher, I'll take less skins/let you have the next few nodes.'

Most people who even CAN grab that stuff don't, because they are so obsessed with being top DPS and crap, they're already at the next fight. I just always wait until after combat, because gathering anything in combat is a ***** thing to do.

Rift Disciple

It's not a before or after issue. It's the hog in front is in front, and usually best positioned to take what they wish or to only do deals they design.

If combat gear could be looted this way, so many people would throw fits. Apparently only warriors/tanks are favored as crafting material gatherers in dungeons, and the rest of us should have to kiss up or pay them for critical raw materials.

Otherwise, we can wait another hour for a civil tank to show up if we want a chance. Or we could attempt to quit combat early and toss on speed buffs to grab the stuff, and hope not to get mobbed or kill the party in the process.
    Last edited by Stormytime; 08-06-2011 at 05:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread