+ Reply to Thread

Thread: " New gear", but recycled models?

Soulwalker

Default " New gear", but recycled models?

My issue is that there is limited variation of armor/gear models in the game as is. Why introduce new (relatively costly, time and plat) gear and just skin it with some old generic skin? Albeit a purely cosmetic issue, that some would argue could take up valuable "content writing" time, I would argue that a huge part of the incentive to spend hours upon hours hacking away at either other players, or whatever you choose to do, is so that when all is said and done you have some fancy unique looking cosmetics.

Outfitter is really cool, but at least make it an option to use, not a requirement. I just feel strange killing dragons as a walking patchwork blanket.

All armor/weapons in this game are hideous. I don't know what the issue is with not making unique and different armor/weapon models. The game graphics themselves are fine, but the characters wardrobes look like they are out of 1992.

Telaran

Default agre-re uninspired armor

at one point I had a nice low level 2h mace that looked like I could brain some mobs and a few players. Now my weapon looks like a stick.
    Doesn't inspire confidence at level 40ish to try out cleric tanking ready to beet the **** out of evil with...
    a stick and a trash can lid. and my group is to take me srsly?

Shadowlander

This has been an on-going issue that people have brought up many times, and honestly I don't see it changing. Main reason; it costs money. Here's what they need to do: Allow people to submit weapon models & textures that would be used by Trion for Rift. These submitted weapons/armor models would be used and owned by Trion through contracts- blah blah. I'd personally do it- especially if they made the base character models publicly usable for this. I'd have way too much fun with it.

... I might need to make a new suggestion about this later >_>

Edit: They could even have contests for new sets of armor that'd be new loot from a new raid- which would also reward the artist somehow.... I like where this idea is going. Only problem I see so far is the issue of trolls creating ridiculous sets of armor/weapons that'd be totally inappropriate.. lol
    Last edited by Doppelz; 08-05-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by xorv View Post
    at one point I had a nice low level 2h mace that looked like I could brain some mobs and a few players. Now my weapon looks like a stick.
    Doesn't inspire confidence at level 40ish to try out cleric tanking ready to beet the **** out of evil with...
    a stick and a trash can lid. and my group is to take me srsly?
    I actually feel that lower-level items should be default be a little less than stellar. It gives a sort of progression to your character, and makes that first set of t1 or w/e, even better. The problem here is that it doesn't exist, as many people would admit, there are numerous weapons from lower levels that make level 50 weapons look sad.

If my gear is "epic", it should look epic; it should not share an art model with a random green drop. There is a reason that not every BMW looks the same, even though technically they could use the same body molding for every car and just replace the innards with different technology, depending on model.

Gah, you get me all hot and bothered Trion, such mixed emotions because I love your game.

Cloaks! Add cloaks to the game, even if they are just cosmetic. Also for the Outfit tabs, there should be a place to cosmetically use any weapon to hide (like said) some of the level 50 models for something that may look far better that you stumbled upon while you were a level 20.

i personally like some of the armor and weapons in this game, but ill agree its very hit and miss...

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelz View Post
    They could even have contests for new sets of armor that'd be new loot from a new raid- which would also reward the artist somehow.... I like where this idea is going. Only problem I see so far is the issue of trolls creating ridiculous sets of armor/weapons that'd be totally inappropriate.. lol
    Use a deviantART contest again for different sets of gear and/or weapons.

Like the other poster said, it's mainly a cost versus allocation fo resources issue. They'd rather have artist designing new npcs, bosses, boss armor than on questing or pvp gear because it's not seen as the pinnacle of the mmo experience to them.

I know many people do not raid and don't agree with that (I'm not currently raiding eitiher) but age-old mmorpg mentality thinks that way. As long as the newest raid gear is pretty, then they think it's fine. Sorta the same reason why there's so few costumes and vanity items.

+ Reply to Thread