+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Mage Soul: Monk

Default New Mage Soul: Monk

Now hear me out on this...

This would be a new soul added to the mage calling where the mage can morph into one of three different types of elemental forms, which would all have melee focused abilities. The three forms would play somewhat similar to a few of the existing rogue souls and the intention here is to give the mage a soul with a completely new play-style: melee. The three forms would have slightly different playstyles (i.e. one could blink, one could be aoe centric and the other single-target) and each would have a different type of elemental damage.

At least, that's the general idea.

Now before you go lambasting me on it, hear me out on the following (and I'm coming at this from a PvE perspective):

Clerics can play the roll of the healer, the tank, or melee/ranged dps.
    Rogues can play the roll of the healer/support, the tank, or melee/ranged dps.
    Warrior can't heal, but they can dps and tank better than any other calling, so at least they do their two things exceptionally well.

Mages... we can dps (worst in show), heal (only one soul for this), or "support"... which is pretty underwhelming. All of this is done from ranged. I think adding a melee type rogue-ish soul to the mage line-up would add some much needed diversity to the mage calling.

Why the forms? Because admittedly the Monk class is supposed to use weapons its bare fists for maximum awesome! Unfortunately that can create a problem with loot and pre-existing weapon slots. That's why I recommend that the mage somehow transform into a being that only uses it's fists (paws, claws, whatever) since it would look less awkward than the mage running up and swinging a staff or poking it with a dagger while holding an encyclopedia in the other hand. That way the mage could still gear themselves like a ranged dps class, but their int would somehow translate into dex/str - spell power translates to attack power, whatever.

The soul should still be squishy, as most mages and monks are, with a couple survivable abilities such as blink, evade, short term run boost, etc.

Also, this would be a suggestion for any upcoming soul additions that I'm sure are planned at some point in the future. It would come accompanied with new souls for the other callings (maybe warriors get a ranged soul?!) - hopefully ones that also add diversity to their current role line-up.. I just haven't put much thought into those =P

Lastly: it doesn't have to be called "monk". I'm just using that tag since we're all pretty much familiar with the playsyle: quick, lightly-armored (usually in robes - hint, hint), high damage that is all melee based. Called it a Spirit Walker for all I care, but please consider it. =D
    "My mind is my weapon... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister

Soulwalker

Default mage

mage and meele don't mix well, never, you have to be range, you can't dodge, or parry as good as dex chars, you can't tank, and if you make a monk, that would be out of dex based char

A monks is not even close to a mage. They are closer to a Rogue.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Rift Disciple

Sorry, I think it's an absolutely horrendous idea.

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geranemo View Post
    mage and meele don't mix well, never, you have to be range, you can't dodge, or parry as good as dex chars, you can't tank, and if you make a monk, that would be out of dex based char
    Not necessarily. Melee clerics have passive skills that turn spell power into attack power and focus into hit, etc. Their main stat is wisdom. It could work the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by geranemo View Post
    Anyone here ever play a Herald of Xotli in Age of Conan? They were fire mages that wielded a 2H greatsword and charged into combat doing massive aoe dmg. They were not only formidable but extremely fun to play... so mages and melee can mix well.
    "My mind is my weapon... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
    I use the term "monk" loosely - only to get across the general idea of the soul: melee combat.

It could be a shape shifter that turns into different melee-centric forms, for all I care. The only other thing it would have in common with monks would be the robes they wear.

I've actually suggested a Monk soul for the Mage Calling before ( I think it may have been on alpha forums though).

Using weapons "kung-fu" style with the staff, sword & off-hand and/or unarmed.
    Builds charge using melee abilities and spells
    Unleashes charge with devastating kung-fu moves

Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel69 View Post
    Not necessarily. Melee clerics have passive skills that turn spell power into attack power and focus into hit, etc. Their main stat is wisdom. It could work the same way.
    I think it would work well. Using a combination of Justicar and Riftstalker as guidance, it could even have a tank stance and dps stance that sacrifice their ranged spell capability for melee capability.

For anyone that says mages can't tank..... Gandalf tanked the Balrog!

My preferred new souls are:

Rogue - Monk - DPS/support buffs.

Mage - Shapeshifter - Possible tank/support/DPS.

Cleric - Some sort of 'true' support soul.

Warrior - A true support soul, revolving around debuffs and buffs, no heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
    Monk = Priest = Cleric. A Cleric that fights bare-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by InferiOmega View Post
    Monk = Priest = Cleric. A Cleric that fights bare-handed.
    /facepalm

Clerics already have a melee souls...

Look, does anyone else like the idea of a melee mage soul?

(Guess I shouldn't have used "monk" in the title - It really brought out the derp in this thread.)

Ascendant

I want Ninja for rogues!

Ok, now design a new soul for each of the other archetypes 'cause there's no way people will ever accept one class having more soul options than another class.

Telaran

Default gotcha-I think

Actualy...
    In DND mages can and do tank-I think it's a specialty called battle mage
    polymorphing? possible nice though not nescosarily resolving around elements.
    A refinement of the OPs theme (op please feel free to coment):
    Special mechanics that'd permit a mage to do mele combat?
    I like where this is going I think if it was themed right it could work. Back when there was soul quests the pyromancer mentions the guy your geting was originally ment to be a warrior.
    Ergo now the guy your geting was ment to be a warrior ( mage )but for some reason needed the help of magic or discovered he could use magic.
    Fleshing it out just a bit farther: said soul uses a balanced amount of mana and charge to deel with being in mele range.
    Just trying to help flesh out the OPs idea cause it does have potential.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast