+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8th

Thread: Shard maintenance/lock

Soulwalker

Default Shard maintenance/lock

While im waiting for the shards to come back up i feel i might as well mention another small issue. I found the shard status page, so i can tell if my computer is bugged or if the shards are down, thats good. However, there is no indication anwhere as to whether they are down for either 5 minutes or 5 hours, all i can really do is sit here and refresh the shard status page and pray. i understand when they are going down that an ingame message lets people know and ETA and how long till they go down, however if you werent on at the time they originallly went down, you stuck wondering whats up. So on the shard status page if you put like an expected time of completion (even if it wasnt always accurate) it would at least give us a vague idea of when to come back to try to get on.

Soulwalker

Am i doing something wrong or is there no edit button for your posts? My initial post was so riddled with spelling errors its making me cringe, and i cant figure out how to edit it back to the english language ='(

Edit: Posting this answered my question, you just cant edit your first post.

Heres what was supposed to be said in english so people can actually read it:

While im waiting for the shards to come back up i feel i might as well mention another small issue. I found the shard status page, so i can tell if my computer is bugged or if the shards are down, thats good. However, there is no indication anwhere as to whether they are down for either 5 minutes or 5 hours, all i can really do is sit here and refresh the shard status page and pray. i understand when they are going down that an ingame message lets people know the ETA and how long till they go down, however if you werent on at the time they originallly went down, you're stuck wondering whats up. So on the shard status page if you put an expected time of completion (even if it wasnt always accurate) it would at least give us a vague idea of when to come back to try to get on.

Less errors than i thought, but still bad ones.. expecially the word "like" only braindeads use like when trying to describe something exactly as they want.
    Last edited by Verinium; 08-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.

8th

News & Announcements has shard update status.

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...ml#post2908622
    Last edited by 8th; 08-03-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Real Men PvP
    Dwarves are harder to target.

Lopht@Sunrest - R8 Mage(Dwarf)
    Reroll@Sunrest - R3 Cleric(Dwarf)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by 8th View Post
    News & Announcements has shard update status.

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...ml#post2908622
    Ah, well at least that lets me know why they are down =), however it still leaves me wondering how long of a fix is it. when they say small do they mean 1 hour? or do they mean like a 15 minute quick fix? even if it had to be changed if they ran into errors, at least its a matter of... Ill give an example.

It is a major patch day, you see the servers are down, you see they went down at say 10 am, so you do something for a couple of hours and check up, nothing, wait another hour, nothing, repeat til 6 pm.

What im hoping for:

Its a major patch day, you see the servers are down, you see a message saying "shards will be available from 10AM august 3rd 2011 until 5 pm august 3rd 2011 due to updates and system maintenance" you watch tv or something till 5 Pm. Shards are down, you go and check "we have encountered an error with the character loggin that is causeing the game to crash for some users, maintenance has been extended an hour to fix this issue." You go do something for an hour and come back. Servers up, you get on.

It is definatly more of a nice thing to have, than a necessary thing to the game, but i figure anything that the more you communicate whats going on the more patiently people wait ;)
    Last edited by Verinium; 08-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Soulwalker

Ouch! my stupidity is showing again, i never scrolled up to the top of the page, i thought it was a topic for all updates, not this specific one. It does indeed give a downtime =). Still would be nice to have one on the shard status page, but you are right, they definatly do have it where you can find it! thanks for the information.

+ Reply to Thread