+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dear Trion - a few comments from casual mmo veteran

Soulwalker

Default Dear Trion - a few comments from casual mmo veteran

First, let me say thank you for producing the first mmo in many years that actually was published in a finished state. Second, thanks for realizing that developer interaction with fan base is critical to succes. You continue to add new content and share your ideas with us for the future vision.

I have played way too many unfinished mmos over the years. This game wasn't just published with very few bugs but had a lot of content and things to do. Your game didn't reinvent the wheel but took many good aspects from other games and made those ideas your own and did so quite well.

I have a few concerns though:

- rifts....let me tell you how absolutely frustrating it is to quest with a constant barrage of never-ending rifts and footholds that drown the player and prevent them from experiencing the content you provide. This is most noticeable in the 45-50 zones. I almost quit out of frustration because I couldn't do any quests or turn them in without spending all my times killing each and every new rift that forms one right after the next. I am sure others here might say otherwise, but most here on forums are more hardcore.

The casual base doesn't like this never-ending rift crap that keeps them from actually enjoying your game. The rifts themselves are fine, just tune them down several notches. 1-2 rifts footholds in a region is plenty. Let players kill them off, then spawn new ones. We don't need 50 of them. It just inhibits gameplay.

Rifts should be more raid like and less common at higher levels. We don't need hundreds of them at once.

- pvp - pvp in rift just seems pointless. Many of us like to pvp but other than gear grind there is no purpose. Add conquerable castles or mini cities in each region with xp bonuuses for the occupier (or something).

- plat sellers. Look, people buy plat. Period. If they didn't the gold sellers wouldn't be in the game spamming everyday with a new toon that I have to put on ignore. Why give them the money? While I don't buy plat nor would ever consider it....u can just undercut them buy selling plat yourself. It's not game breaking. Don't sell gear, just the gold. This will end goldselling because no one would feel need to risk getting acct hacked so they could buy a shiny armor piece on the AH. It already happens so your not really reinventing the wheel. I'm just sick of the spam.

Other than these items the game is great and I enjoy playing. Thanks for your handwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomviper View Post
    - rifts....let me tell you how absolutely frustrating it is to quest with a constant barrage of never-ending rifts and footholds that drown the player and prevent them from experiencing the content you provide. This is most noticeable in the 45-50 zones. I almost quit out of frustration because I couldn't do any quests or turn them in without spending all my times killing each and every new rift that forms one right after the next. I am sure others here might say otherwise, but most here on forums are more hardcore.
    This to me sounds like you were facing the results of a failed invasion. While the invasion quest was no longer there, the zone was still covered in an endless amount of rifts as most likely the invasion failed. Or you somehow missed that an invasion was going on, though I doubt that seeing you are already lvl 45 and seem to have a good grasp of the game. Usually you would only see a handful of rifts in a zone. So I hope your leveling experience picks up again.

Soulwalker

Did you ever stop to think that rifts are ALSO content that Trion is providing you with? Rifts don't inhibit gameplay, they are gameplay. It's a core mechanic that this game was built on. That's probably why they called it Rift and not "WoW Simulator."

Also, it sounds like you are talking about invasions. I've never been stopped from questing by normal rifts or footholds, and in fact I don't even believe that's possible. Regardless, perhaps you should try participating in an invasion instead of whining about how it stops you from questing. You may find that they are not only rewarding, but fun as well.

Ascendant

I am a casual player.

I enjoy Rifts, Invasions, and the whole "zone completely overrun with invasions and Rift activities", because it breaks up the monotony of the questing as solo, and the name of the game is "RIFT" - so its expected.

Sorry it bothers the OP, but run into a group of raiders, click on the players, find a 'public' grouping person and click him/her to join in..........or if they are standing around between cycles/stages, ask to join /raid, the communities will respond if an opening exists.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Chaszar View Post
    I am a casual player.

I enjoy Rifts, Invasions, and the whole "zone completely overrun with invasions and Rift activities", because it breaks up the monotony of the questing as solo, and the name of the game is "RIFT" - so its expected.

Sorry it bothers the OP, but run into a group of raiders, click on the players, find a 'public' grouping person and click him/her to join in..........or if they are standing around between cycles/stages, ask to join /raid, the communities will respond if an opening exists.
    Failure at reading? Never said I hated rifts obviously I would be playing the wrong game. The last few days in the zone have virtually unplayable due to the rifts coming in nonstop waves. I was spending 99% of my time killing footholds that kept coming through my quest zone and killing quest givers. It took me 3-4 days to finish about 10 quests not just one night of major rift invasion. I was home all day today and same thing. I just ask they tone it down. 50 some odd players in a zone can only kill so many rifts at a time. There were more rifts than players. That is overkill when it inhibits game play.

Rift Chaser

few points :

- the very reason I started to play Rift was those invasions and rifts ( you get loads of xp by defeating footholds /rifts so it doesn't stop your progression even though you can't quest ) .So I have to disagree there . Having said that : dropping a level 15 elite Slaughterjaw at Divine landing ( where the newbies arrive at level 6 or 7 ) isn't really a good idea . There's no way level 6 or 7 can kill that and the NPC's all die in an endless cycle . That does pretty much halt progression
    - PvP, I don't PvP at all in any gear based MMO ( I think PvP should always be skill-based ) , so no comment there
    - plat selling might work but I'm inclined not to do that.It's a slippery slope once you start selling stuff like that . Next they'll start selling XP boosters etc.

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

I just ask they tone it down. 50 some odd players in a zone can only kill so many rifts at a time. There were more rifts than players. That is overkill when it inhibits game play.
    I agree that sometimes it can be overkill. Even after months of playing, my jaw still drops when I see a Jakub invasion map in Freemarch.

There is a whole network of balance for these, though. Players need the sourcestones, like in Freemarch (whatever they are called). I will go out of my way to do an invasion to get those for the good L20 blues and purples. Players need to complete achievements for killing invasion bosses, and also the zone defender achievements. L50 rifts are needed for a bunch of reasons--for crafting rifts and eternal dust as well as the usual.

I have played way too many unfinished mmos over the years. This game wasn't just published with very few bugs but had a lot of content and things to do. Your game didn't reinvent the wheel but took many good aspects from other games and made those ideas your own and did so quite well.
    An MMO will never be finished, so...there's your problem. You're not an MMO player.

The name of the game is RIFT. YOU aren't suppose to be able to handle an invasion. The ZONE is suppose to chip in and participate in the ZONE-WIDE invasion. I leveled in Stillmoor, IPP, and Shimmersand. Shimmersand was the WORST with invasions going unfinished and failing, leading them to overrun the zone. Guess what! I would either try to solo the one, measly foothold on top of those quest hubs out in the desert...or...<gasp> I would just ask in zone chat, while linking the coords of the foothold I needed help with. Really not that hard. Sometimes I asked my guild, too, and they'd be like 'OH cool, while we're out there, let's go do some experts/crafting rifts!' Win/win.

The casual base doesn't like this never-ending rift crap that keeps them from actually enjoying your game. The rifts themselves are fine, just tune them down several notches. 1-2 rifts footholds in a region is plenty. Let players kill them off, then spawn new ones. We don't need 50 of them. It just inhibits gameplay.

Rifts should be more raid like and less common at higher levels. We don't need hundreds of them at once.
    You can't really talk for the entire casual playerbase, and seeing as how the game is CALLED RIFT, if rifting isn't enjoyable, then you're probably missing a large part of the game, and overall unhappy with it. 1-2 footholds OR rifts is crap. An invasion is just that...taking over a large zone, and if there's no opposing force, the planes win. Yeah, sometimes an invasion inhibits my gameplay...at...like...level 10 when one hits Freemarch...but other than that, I've never had a problem with a zone just being 'inaccessable' for hours on end.

- pvp - pvp in rift just seems pointless. Many of us like to pvp but other than gear grind there is no purpose. Add conquerable castles or mini cities in each region with xp bonuuses for the occupier (or something).
    I don't agree that PvP is pointless. I do like ideas that involve a PvP ZONE wherein factions can fight over castles or cities with quests or whatever...however...as someone who gets annoyed when there's too much PvE in their PvE, you'd think you'd understand that some people don't want a bunch of PvP taking over a zone to the point they can't quest, and all that... :P So, no support for giving 50s a reason to farm PvP on PvE.

- plat sellers. Look, people buy plat. Period. If they didn't the gold sellers wouldn't be in the game spamming everyday with a new toon that I have to put on ignore. Why give them the money? While I don't buy plat nor would ever consider it....u can just undercut them buy selling plat yourself. It's not game breaking. Don't sell gear, just the gold. This will end goldselling because no one would feel need to risk getting acct hacked so they could buy a shiny armor piece on the AH. It already happens so your not really reinventing the wheel. I'm just sick of the spam.
    The spam is to hack accounts. It doesn't matter if no one buys it, or if only one person in the world buys it. sPammers are sCammers. Those sites do NOT sell gold, are just there to phish and such. Spam is easy to counteract. Right-click name, report spam...enjoy silence for a few hours.

I do not agree or support any idea that wants Trion to sell plat.
    Last edited by KnirpsLyn; 08-03-2011 at 06:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread