+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternate Advancement Post 50

Default Alternate Advancement Post 50

First off, I'm loving Rift completely. I am currently working on my second character up to level 50. When completed i'll have a Defiant and Guardian maxed in level. I have already read that you do have plans in the future for advancement once level 50 is achieved, advancement i hope that keeps the experience bar moving. This leads to the suggestion I'm about to lay out. Before i start, i have noticed many mechanics and designs that are very similar to other mmos i have played and this will be no different.

My suggestion would be the introduction of alternate advancement points similar to what is still currently used in EQ the original. Do not put a limit on how many advancement points can be earned just create a large variety. There could be sections on pvp and pve and non combat. Make is so the normal gamer such as my self doing the daily faction and world quest would take about 1 to 2 weeks to earn a point. For the average player 56 points in a year is not that many especially if it would take 3 to 400 to max before the next expansion. Adding this to the game would make advancement a continual wheel. It would also give those who have played a long time a way to stay ahead of the new players who join a year to two later and have the easy tools to hit max level in half the time we needed. Ok now for the part where everyone says no no no it will break the game. That is really a bunch of bs.

1) You have the ability to make dungeons hard harder and even more challenging. Have the option when the raid leader picks the difficulty. Make runs that require 30 plus aa's very challenging those raiders with this many aa's will likely be geared out from the hard raids anyway.
    2)Do you realize how boring and frustrating it can be raiding the same end game dungeon over and over again to get a peice or armor that you have to hope drops then hope you win it?? It stinks, but if their was a constant progressiong via aa's earned atleast every run would be advancing your character.
    3)PVP would be ruined!! No it just means those that develope their characters more over time will become stronger and more deadly.
    4)But my friend who joins a year from now will never catch up?? Good cause i hate playing a game for 2 to 3 years then have someone join and in six months match my level of advancement and wear the same gear i have.

No doubt there is going to be a ton of what about this what about that i just want a game where the exp bar never stops moving. Just doing the quests for the world events and rift battles can keep most peoples bars moving it will be up to the individual to make it an exp grind or not. I know i'll grind for a point here and there I love the advancement. If something like this was implemented i would NEVER leave this game!!

Sincerely, Jorwu

All that above and make the land mass much bigger ,for me its/ hm...was more about exploration not pvp or questing. At curent lv i have discovered 98% of the map and im lv 50 there isnt much fun anymore, nothing left to see.
    Proud anime Lamps Collector

Shadowlander

I think the idea of old eq 1 aa at lvl 50 is an awsome idea. I loved doing aa, it gave me a reason to keep playing, making my char stronger. I do think though if they tried putting it in they would **** it up and try to regulate what you could and could not get. I liked the system in eq, that was a good setup with thousands of points to earn and they made a huge difference in the strength of your char.

Would be nice to see aa for passive stat boosts, threat boost, defense, attack, fear/cc resist, and so much more. Could even make primary class specific aa that may add a couple new attacks or or buffs, or improvements to existing ones.

AA is what kept me playing eq1 for so long because you always had something to work towards. Games today are way too easy, max lvl in 2 weeks finish all content within 2 months and then you stand around town in your cool looking armor having newbies begging for gold while complaining about paying a monthly fee and not having anything to do.

Already in development.

/thread

Rift Master

I've seen this type of thing posted a few times and I really don't get it.

In EQ, you have completely static and rigid character development that's 100 years old and don't start getting your "talents" til you start working on AA.

In more contemporary games you customize your characters with talents starting at early levels.

AA = talents.

There is zero point to adding AA, which are basically talents, in a talent based game since you already have talents.

What you are basically describing is raising the level cap to get more talents without actually leveling - gaining xp to get more talents, but not gain levels.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
    I've seen this type of thing posted a few times and I really don't get it.

In EQ, you have completely static and rigid character development that's 100 years old and don't start getting your "talents" til you start working on AA.

In more contemporary games you customize your characters with talents starting at early levels.

AA = talents.

There is zero point to adding AA, which are basically talents, in a talent based game since you already have talents.

What you are basically describing is raising the level cap to get more talents without actually leveling - gaining xp to get more talents, but not gain levels.

If you wanna increase the longevity of the game you`ll add aa. You are also expanding upon your char by adding aa. The 100 year old way of doing things in eq was actually the best way you ever could have made a game. It was challenging and alot of fun when you had a good group to run with and a decent guild to raid with.

Nowadays over the past 8 years people cried eq was too hard and I don`t want to invest time in making a toon, I want it maxed out right now! And the jackhole game companies listened to the people who whined and moaned about it. Now everything is easy and feels hollow, hardly any challenge. It`s really a joke. **** man it took a year to get to lvl 60 damn near in the velious days! Now its max lvl in like a week or two!.

But back to my point before I ramble more about the glory days of mmo`s that will never be seen again. Something has to be implemented once you hit 50 to make WANT to keep going. Yeah the talents we get early but we can enhance them further once you hit 50. Why? To start getting buff for the next expansion that when the lvl cap raises the higher mobs are gonna be such a mofo that you are actually going to NEED a decent amount of aa. Thats how it SHOULD be done. Or like the mainstream is nowadays raise the lvl cap with an expac and the next day you got 1000 people allready at the new cap.
    See what I`m sayin? Too easy, nothing to work towards, no feeling of accomplishment.

Sony was smart when they bought eq from verant. They knew at the time they had the largest playerbase of ANY online game at the time. To keep those people paying and playing they released the expansions in difficulty increments to where you needed to grind out that aa so you would stand a chance in the next lvl tier of groups and raids. This was smart because eq is still around after 12 years. Not as popular by todays standards because people hate the graphics but definately one the greatest mmo`s EVER! Trion could take some pointers from that old dinosaur and turn this into something special. where will this game be in 12 years I wonder?

+ Reply to Thread