+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LFG balancing idea

Default LFG balancing idea

Ok, we know there are often problems with lacking a certain role for using the LFG tool, on my shard and several other EU ones I know of, it is shortage of tanks.

The cross shard lfg will help alot, but here is another suggestion.

If there is a shortage of tanks, could it be possible to make being a tank more rewarding while it remains this way? So in some way scale plaques maybe? you get an extra couple while tank population is low, and for highly overpopulted roles a smaller amount.
    For example.
    Tanks queing should be 1/5th, so if they are only 1/8th +3 or 4 plaque a run.
    DPS should be 2/5 so if they are 1/2 -1 plaque of the basic ammount.
    If Tanks start getting bumped up to 1/2 then the plaque rate gets reduced.

Just an idea and I would believe it would greatly help to start balancing roles.
    You could even go as far as scaling certain rewards based on Guard/Defiant on the shard, just as Planeside did with the 3 factions.

What do you think?
    Core i7 (D0 stepping) on Foxconn Bloodrage, 6gb DDR3 Tri Channel, PNY GTX 680,
    80gb OCZ Vertex 2E, 640gb Caviar Black, Ozaki 5.1 surround, HAF 932 Case with 750watt PC Power and Cooling Quad PSU,
    Windows 7, Logitech G19 Keyboard, Razer Lachesis Mouse, 60MB Broadband.

Plane Walker

Give them more, dont take away from everyone else.

And tbh i don't think trion should do a thing. People need to play tanks more and learn how to do it.

I have a rogue that has been dps/support forever and i am now gearing up to tank to fill this niche.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Well, a major issue with tanks in the game is that, for example, in end-game raids you only need 1 or 2, depending on the boss. This equates to 1/20 or 1/10. In other words, people playing tanks to level are more than likely playing a role they won't be able to stick with in end-game content. That's one of the bigger flaws with the system. Why gear up so you can keep playing a tank if your chances of being able to *continue* playing one are low?

For the first time in forever, I tried LFG without a full premade yesterday. Brought the tank (about 1/3 raid-gear).

Spent almost 2.5 HOURS in DSMx, and had to ditch with 2 bosses still alive. Our dps seemed to have a religious aversion to killing crystals, and a fondness for standing in the aoe.

Needless to say, won't be using the queue again anytime soon.

It's not that there aren't enough tanks. Basically every warrior, half the rogues, and a few clerics in my guild have a tank build and kit. Just as every mage and cleric has one or more healing set-ups. But we almost never use LFG without filling the group first.
    Last edited by Mulch; 07-31-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raptorak View Post
    Well, a major issue with tanks in the game is that, for example, in end-game raids you only need 1 or 2, depending on the boss. This equates to 1/20 or 1/10. In other words, people playing tanks to level are more than likely playing a role they won't be able to stick with in end-game content. That's one of the bigger flaws with the system. Why gear up so you can keep playing a tank if your chances of being able to *continue* playing one are low?
    The part I like about Rift is there is some variability. Consider my GSB run yesterday. Rogue tank on Duke with warrior OT. Then just one tank for Jholen. Then 2 tanks for Oracle, 3 for Prince, 2 for the lizard.

You can be mainly dps and still have your chance to tank some of the time. Or you can be mainly tank, but will end up dpsing some of the time. Same goes for heals and support.

But regardless, even people who only dps/support/heal for raids often have a tank build, too. Cuz that gear drops, and back when we did a lot of experts we needed tanks. And what the heck, i'll tank a raid rift, which is kind of like raiding...

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
    The part I like about Rift is there is some variability. Consider my GSB run yesterday. Rogue tank on Duke with warrior OT. Then just one tank for Jholen. Then 2 tanks for Oracle, 3 for Prince, 2 for the lizard.

You can be mainly dps and still have your chance to tank some of the time. Or you can be mainly tank, but will end up dpsing some of the time. Same goes for heals and support.

But regardless, even people who only dps/support/heal for raids often have a tank build, too. Cuz that gear drops, and back when we did a lot of experts we needed tanks. And what the heck, i'll tank a raid rift, which is kind of like raiding...
    In literally hundreds of different random groups, I've found tanks to be the most rare. A lot of people at least *claim* it's because they don't want to farm two sets of gear. That's where my basis comes from.

Of course there's also a lot that just flat out don't want to do anything but DPS because it's the easiest thing to do and if they can complete everything in the game, why actually work for it? Achievements are based on what you accomplish, but not your role (so, for example, someone tanking Johlen, although it's the hardest job, gets the same credit game-wise as a ranged DPS which is the easiest).

All of this caters to the American view that there should be no reason to work for anything, and if it's even slightly more difficult, everyone should refuse to even try.

Quote Originally Posted by raptorak View Post
    Achievements are based on what you accomplish, but not your role (so, for example, someone tanking Johlen, although it's the hardest job, gets the same credit game-wise as a ranged DPS which is the easiest).

All of this caters to the American view that there should be no reason to work for anything, and if it's even slightly more difficult, everyone should refuse to even try.
    Whether it's in sports, scholarship, profession or hobby, I constantly encounter Americans who enjoy the climb. And some slackers, too.

But I think you're misstating the difficulty of the job. Tanking Jholen -- he doesn't hit hard. Once you've built a decent bit of threat, that's not hard. So it's just a matter then of keeping a rotation and moving off of bombs. If you move, he comes to you. Whereas for dps, they have to stay off of bombs, send pet at concussions, and stay on the target which chases the tank. Our tank was the first to get "head on a swivel."

It's easiest for healers, just stare at a tree, watch your feet, and keep people filled up.

+ Reply to Thread