+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Raudim
  • 1 Post By Reisler

Thread: Do Away With Factions

Telaran

Default Do Away With Factions

Kind of a random thought, but I wonder what others think. Something to kick around. I know with the game lore it doesn't fit a 100%, but I'm sure that can be reasoned out.

Get rid of factions based on race. Instead turn guardians and defiant into something that each player ops into at 10th level and is used only for PvP and lore. Same function it is used for today anyways.

Then allow players to group with all races for instances, or even cross guild. Allow for basic player like functions to occur (auction halls, banks, etc) in a neutral faction cities. If fighting occurs in neutral cities, guards do their thing and start laying down the hurt.

What does this do PvE? It opens up the communities and allows for more options for players, it will even break down the player imbalance between Guardian and Defiant. Easier to build guilds and raids, etc.

What does this do for PvP? A player or a guild could establish themselves under the banner of guardian or defiant. Faction perks can be used to add flavor to strike a balance between the factions (the cool effect.). Guilds could go to war with each other by switching factions, etc. There is a lot that could be done.

Thoughts?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Raudim View Post
    Kind of a random thought, but I wonder what others think. Something to kick around. I know with the game lore it doesn't fit a 100%, but I'm sure that can be reasoned out.

Get rid of factions based on race. Instead turn guardians and defiant into something that each player ops into at 10th level and is used only for PvP and lore. Same function it is used for today anyways.

Then allow players to group with all races for instances, or even cross guild. Allow for basic player like functions to occur (auction halls, banks, etc) in a neutral faction cities. If fighting occurs in neutral cities, guards do their thing and start laying down the hurt.

What does this do PvE? It opens up the communities and allows for more options for players, it will even break down the player imbalance between Guardian and Defiant. Easier to build guilds and raids, etc.

What does this do for PvP? A player or a guild could establish themselves under the banner of guardian or defiant. Faction perks can be used to add flavor to strike a balance between the factions (the cool effect.). Guilds could go to war with each other by switching factions, etc. There is a lot that could be done.

Thoughts?
    Would have been worth a thought during design evaluations some time ago when under development.

Myself, the current paradigm is fine, and has a decent story to it.

Another PvE player looking to put PvP on the back of the bus. Why can't you make suggestions that improve your gameplay without affecting other playstyles? For example, this suggestion should instead read thus:

What if there were a rule set on PvE shards that allowed unflagged guardian and defiant players to group up, guild up and play together as a single unified community, but PvP servers remain as they are now?
    Last edited by Sinndel; 07-31-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Another PvE player looking to put PvP on the back of the bus. Why can't you make suggestions that improve your gameplay without affecting other playstyles? For example, this suggestion should instead read thus:

What if there were a rule set on PvE shards that allowed unflagged guardian and defiant players to group up, guild up and play together as a single unified community, but PvP servers remain as they are now?
    This would probably have more chance of happening than rewriting the entire game.

Soulwalker

Id like to see this..

My guild is also in EQ1 where we have a much higher membership than has come over to Rift. We have literally all the factions in EQ in guild. All can group, raid, hang out together and our guild hall is open to all.

Granted, the dark elves are not going to pop into the front gates of the high elf city.. or many others but everyone does not want to play the same faction.

My rich fat guardian cannot send pocket change to my struggling defiant.

Why? Because of the lore?
    I mock your lore.. mock mock mock.

One more limitation that turned off many of my guildies.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post

Actually I'm a PvP player. Most of what I do is PvP. Your idea does have the same effect though to an limited extent. I was just saying starting at 10th you have to pick a faction and then allow for mobility between the two factions without a race change. Thus doing away with the race dependency for a specific faction, PvP as we know it would remain pretty much the same. Two factions to war against each other.

Only major difference is that you would draw the line at race change and PvE shard.

Telaran

The races are practically the same. Eth and Mathosians are practically identical. Both Elf races are very close to identical. Different skin color and some features are different. The only 2 races that stand out are Dwarves and Bahmi.

I like how it is set up (especially how the racial segregation is in the lore eg. the Vigil only gave Ascended Powers to 3 races so when Orphiel explored Eldritch technology he chose the races that defied the Vigil to aide). I wouldn't really mind a betrayal quest or event but I think it would need to fit in lore and something would need to be done to keep the factions reasonably balanced (a problem that is in need of a solution on many pvp shards).

Ascendant

Personally i would prefer a betrayal quest line.

Not being able to play the race you like and playing with all your friends is silly! Let us betray NOW!

+ Reply to Thread