+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not all of your customers live in California.

Default Not all of your customers live in California.

I do a lot of my work in the evening and have no time to do anything fun during traditional play times. This means I am usually attempting to play Rift, when I can, in the morning. Now, I understand the need for patches and updates, the game just wouldn't be the same without them. However, I don't understand why Rift begins their updates at a comfy 8:00am PST. You do realize that not all, infact, a large majority of your customers don't live on the West Coast, yes? That means that the huge amount of people in MST, CST, and the enormous amount in EST deal with updates as late as 11:00am! As a business that can only thrive on retained customers, it is important to keep us as happy as possible. Other MMO's have stepped it up and begun their downloads and patches earlier to accomodate the majority of their customers' time zones. I know, you will all be a bit sleepy at 5 or 6am in California, but this is something other games have compromised on and Rift is a bit behind. I understand that most of your customers may play during the evening, but enough to care about play at 10-11am and 11am-12pm when your patches often have realms down. This is an easy fix and since realm down time is a major part of the complaints about Rift, it would appease many of your customers and increase your retention rate for sure!

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, and I wouldn't take the time to write this if I didn't really love what you've created. I feel this is an oversight that really needs to be pointed out and would create a much more available game for the many of us with untraditional schedules.

Thanks for an awesome game,
    Lynsette

Default Rift is fantastic with only short update times

Quote Originally Posted by Lynsette View Post
    I do a lot of my work in the evening and have no time to do anything fun during traditional play times. This means I am usually attempting to play Rift, when I can, in the morning. Now, I understand the need for patches and updates, the game just wouldn't be the same without them. However, I don't understand why Rift begins their updates at a comfy 8:00am PST. You do realize that not all, infact, a large majority of your customers don't live on the West Coast, yes? That means that the huge amount of people in MST, CST, and the enormous amount in EST deal with updates as late as 11:00am! As a business that can only thrive on retained customers, it is important to keep us as happy as possible. Other MMO's have stepped it up and begun their downloads and patches earlier to accomodate the majority of their customers' time zones. I know, you will all be a bit sleepy at 5 or 6am in California, but this is something other games have compromised on and Rift is a bit behind. I understand that most of your customers may play during the evening, but enough to care about play at 10-11am and 11am-12pm when your patches often have realms down. This is an easy fix and since realm down time is a major part of the complaints about Rift, it would appease many of your customers and increase your retention rate for sure!

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, and I wouldn't take the time to write this if I didn't really love what you've created. I feel this is an oversight that really needs to be pointed out and would create a much more available game for the many of us with untraditional schedules.

Thanks for an awesome game,
    Lynsette
    I can understand how you feel as this game is world wide not just in the usa everyone is going to be affected some time with the game play.. Just think of the other mmo tuesday night between 7:30pm and 9:30 could be shutdown and you can not play for 5 to 8 hours while the servers are down and that was prime time playing time on oceanic servers 3am in the usa... When new patches were made there was 15 minute restarts every day sometimes 3 times a day for a month that was not value for money paying subscription for that type of service...

I have to tip my hat to Trion quick fixes return to game play as quickly as possible and not waiting for patches to fix problems Trion you have got my and I can bet many many other peoples vote for being the best service of all mmo's around well done Trion...

Why does this come up every time there's a patch?

It was 30 minutes guys. THIRTY MINUTES.

If you are dying and can't stand not being able to play for 30 minutes a few times a week, you have issues.
    Last edited by KnirpsLyn; 07-29-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Thumbs down

They can NOT make everyone happy with 24 hours in a day. For the America server using PST is the best option. It is more in the middle from Western Asia and the Americas.

And the downtime is at a great time for Eastern US time also. Very few are on from 8am to 1pm ET.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

I have a few things I'd like to see in regards to patches.

First, I want a three month period where all server down time starts at 8pm PST instead of 8am. A few months of the complaints this would produce from the bulk of North American players will point out to all developers of all MMO's that this is an actual issue - it's just that the group of people it affects are mostly silent on the issue. Their silence should in no way downplay the effects server down time has on a play session.

Secondly, I'd like to see developers spread down time across all hours of the day, and preferably all days of the week. If the server is down at 8am today,'make sure that next time it's down at mid day, and then at 4pm the following day. Patches, updates and server restarts benefit everyone, so there is no reason to only have one group of ayers have to deal with the actual down time itself.

Third, undo the fix to daily quests resetting after server down time. Wince most players won't stRt a group with the server going down, soloing is often all that can be done. When the server comes back up, assuming you still have the time, soloing until you get a group is about all there is to do most of the time as well. In my mind, the ability to do daily quests twice if server down time cuts your play session in half is small recompense for the inconvenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

+ Reply to Thread