+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planetouched NPC's:mutation

Default Planetouched NPC's:mutation

I had this idea when a happened to glance at a shadetouched squirrel, i thought; 'why'? What is the point of NPC's becoming planetouched other than a small visual effect? Here are my ideas:
    (Either just neutral NPC's (rabbits, squirrels etc) or neutral and hostile NPC's should come under this umbrella.)
    *Aesthetics: Aesthetically being different per rift type, Eg a death touched deer would essentially become undead, and maybe have a plague effect about it. I also think a lingering projected texture should be used, just in a shorter vicinity then your average invading party. this lingering effect should hopefully leave a small trail of the plane in question, lasting for a few minutes and maybe spawn a few objects like tentacles every so often.
    *Allegiances: originally neutral or hostile NPC's should attack EVERYTHING around them, except maybe the members from the plane that they are effected with. These 'mutated' NPC's wouldn't go after wardstones, (reason being in a following idea) because they are essentially crazed from the planar effect on its brain. These mutants would just wander aimlessley for an indefinite amount of time, or until they are killed.
    *Power: The 'mutants' would remain the same level, but just have hugely increased statistics, differing from which planar effect they are suffering from, EG an air touched NPC's would have increased dodge, earth touched having increased physical crit.

*contamination: This is a pretty huge concept, so bear with me. What if the invaders did not have to rely solely on zone invasions and rifts to take over a region? im thinking that the 'mutants' would play a role on the downfall of telara, called contamination. For starters, ill go back to the refernce i made under 'allegiances' about the mutants not going after wardstones. Their one goal would be to wander around contaminating other NPC's who would contaminate even more. The contamination level would be shown like a zonewide invasion is shown on the map, or maybe a side bar, max contamination being 100%. The contamination level could have a direct effect on a players health, or stats, maybe even being a debuff, EG upon reaching a high level contamination, a player could see his/her stats reduced by 10-20-30%.
    *Removing contamination: simply by killing any plane touched creatures you see, or just cleaning up around you upon the closing of a rift, you could prevent the increse of contamination. Another idea i had was that mutants would contaminate objects, mainly plants and trees that would serve as a breeding ground for more mutants. A cleansing ability earned from a starter quest or from purchase would return the object to its normal state, or if the object was spawned by a mutant, it would destroy it completely.

I realise how long this post is, so im gunna stop now. if it gets a good response ill probably talk about more of my ideas.

forgot to add: please make the planetouched effect look better! im sick of staring at a silly 2d-ish animation.

+ Reply to Thread