+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rethinking how Mages use Charge

Telaran

Default Rethinking how Mages use Charge

There's been a lot of talk lately among mages about Charge, how it's "not fun," how it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. I disagree that Charge is a flat-out bad mechanic or that it's "not fun," but I do agree that there are a lot of Charge-based abilities that aren't fun; they're tedious, but a necessary part of the rotation to do competitve DPS.

Right now, Charge is flawed in three areas.

1.) Damage boosters that burn Charge and have no cooldown aren't fun, they're tedious.

The main culprits here are Static Flux in the Stormcaller tree, Empowered Veil in the Chloromancer tree, Internalize Charge in the Pyromancer tree, and, to a slightly lesser degree, Power Drain in the Archon tree. There's no reason to save up your Charge to unleash these abilities at a critical point in the fight; you want them going constantly. They don't have any sort of flashy visuals; there's no feeling that you're doing something cool, or using your abilities with tactical soundness. It's just an element of tedium added to the rotation.

2.) If something burns Charge, either make it channeled or make it burn it all at once.

Here I'm thinking of Defile and Empty the Crypts. Just have Defile cost, like, 30 Charge, rather than cost nothing but constantly drain Charge so I'm constantly worried about keeping Charge up so the spell doesn't fall off.

3.) Channeled abilities are fun, but I don't want to spend all day doing them.

Let's take a look at Soul Purge, a channeled ability that burns Charge. I dig the ability; it does great damage, and I do enjoy channeling stuff...for a little while. However, Soul Purge lasts 8 seconds. I don't want to sit there for 8 seconds watching my guy channel a beam. 4 or 5 seconds is plenty.

So how should Charge be used? As "finishers." Much like how Rogues and Warriors use relatively weak attacks to generate Combo or Attack Points and then let loose a powerful finisher, so too should Mages use their relatively weaker spells to generate Charge, and then unleash hell with a powerful Charge-based spell.

on a totally different note, i think charge should have a visual effect on the character, EG kinda like electtrified, so at full charge mages would look fairly intimidating. the smame idea could be used for stamina or whatver warriors and rogues have, it would just look different.

aux

Quote Originally Posted by Many bugs View Post
    on a totally different note, i think charge should have a visual effect on the character, EG kinda like electtrified, so at full charge mages would look fairly intimidating. the smame idea could be used for stamina or whatver warriors and rogues have, it would just look different.
    Aion did that. Most people found the effect annoying and wanted it gone.
    I'm so BORED

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikfried View Post
    However, Soul Purge lasts 8 seconds. I don't want to sit there for 8 seconds watching my guy channel a beam. 4 or 5 seconds is plenty.

So how should Charge be used? As "finishers." Much like how Rogues and Warriors use relatively weak attacks to generate Combo or Attack Points and then let loose a powerful finisher
    I love Charge how it is, including Soul Purge, personally. Could improvements be made? Probably. But it almost sounds like you should make a rogue.

/not signed on all points
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 07-29-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Many bugs View Post
    Ya I just thought about something like this.. I don't play a mage, so can't give an opinion on you charge idea, but can give some feedback for your second part

How about they first levitate, kinda sit down in indian style (you know legs crossed, prayer type thingy.) and cast waves, by just kinda moving their arms.

that be sweet, no visual particle effect per se, but a change in stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel69 View Post
    I love Charge how it is, including Soul Purge, personally. Could improvements be made? Probably. But it almost sounds like you should make a rogue.

/not signed on all points
    I agree... Mages don't need 'finishers' and I like how Charge is used right now. It's to keep us going or give us a little boost, and sometimes some good damage.

Charge is extra, mana is our main stuff. It is NOT like Warrior/Rogue and I don't think it should be.

/not signed

+ Reply to Thread