+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Devs, have you thought about this for dungeons?

Soulwalker

Default Devs, have you thought about this for dungeons?

I'm fairly new to RIFT and I admittedly don't troll the forums often because I'm much busier with RL and actually playing what I pay for (I do understand the perceived necessity to spend time here if you are bored with the game, etc). At any rate, one thing that I have read time and again in posts are comments that the game is stale, content too slow, etc.

I also read about two things that seemed to polarize some players (I'm sure there are tons more) that gave me an idea. For reference, the two forum posts were as follows:
    riftstrats
    Chronos

Players in both of these threads voiced concerns about the game becoming stale and predictable, which is honestly a fear of mine too. My idea was to add randomly-determined abilities to bosses. The way I envisioned it was using an example:
    Boss A has abilities 1,2,3,4 that he uses all of the time. They fit the flavor, lore, style, etc. of the boss. But, just like players, he has his moods and does some things differently as those moods strike him. So in this example, he may have random abilities 5,6,7 attached to him as well. At random times (or pre-set if it works better that way) or when triggered (by, say, abilities that he may hate), the boss would lash out with one of these mystery abilities, which may be anything from a hindrance to a game-changer. IT forces the players to think and react to an unknown element of surprise that will hopefully make some encounters more fun, even for those that are maxed out at 50 with nothing new to do.
    Edit: give them more abilities (say, 5-6) that they use RANDOMLY, i.e. not every fight, not all the time. A true surprise.

I will say in advance that I do not expect this to be any sort of a "magic bullet" that will fix things...but it would make things interesting and more challenging than having groups marching in with a "ho-hum, raid started, boss A strat, boss B strat, boss C strat, done. Oooh look, more shinines. Yay."

For added flavor, adding minor abilities to elites or sub-boss level mobs could keep things interesting as well.

Just a thought...
    Last edited by Nightborne; 07-28-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Telaran

So essentially you are asking for bosses to be less predictable. This would indeed make things interesting, but possibly frustrating as well. The problem with this is that one group might down the boss while he is using "easy mode" abilities and another group will not be able to down the boss while he is using "hard mode" abilities, even though they might have been able to beat him otherwise. They will rightfully complain that they got shafted. I think this is one case where you don't really want RNG to become a factor, for the sake of fairness.

How about just making a new dungeon? We have new raids.
    Thanks for the haircuts.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dourgen View Post
    How about just making a new dungeon? We have new raids.
    /agree how about more and not worry about the ones that are already there... just a thought...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Alloryn View Post
    So essentially you are asking for bosses to be less predictable. This would indeed make things interesting, but possibly frustrating as well. The problem with this is that one group might down the boss while he is using "easy mode" abilities and another group will not be able to down the boss while he is using "hard mode" abilities, even though they might have been able to beat him otherwise. They will rightfully complain that they got shafted. I think this is one case where you don't really want RNG to become a factor, for the sake of fairness.
    True, but the idea is to make things a little less predictable, and therefore more challenging (at least until the new abilities were learned). The idea is not to have a "hard mode" versus "easy mode" set of abilities (forgive me if I read your response wrong), but rather to have some equally balanced abilities that keep players on their toes and add an element of surprise that makes them go "wow, we barely scraped by there - what was that?" With even 5-6 rotating abilities, it would be a challenge and potentially rewarding for players and Trion alike. For players, the creatures would give them a new challenge to overcome (possibly new achievements for those "collector" or "explorer" types out there based off of surviving all of the bosses' abilities), and would make the game less you-know-who-like in that it's not wash-rinse-repeat instance after instance. Part of the excitement for many people that I know and play with is actually learning something new.

How is this a win for Trion? Obviously, people will try out areas that have this enabled, increasing player time in-game and possibly generating additional time spent on subscriptions.

/agree how about more and not worry about the ones that are already there... just a thought...
    I agree wholeheartedly with new content, and didn't mean to infer otherwise. This is something that could be applied to new areas, retroactively applied to old areas, etc. as Trion saw fit.

The whole idea behind this was to innovate a little bit. Now obviously there is a section of the player population that would disagree - they like their set challenges that they can conquer, get the t-shirt to prove it, and move on. For those this would be a turn-off at worst, or a low selling point at best. But then again, it takes all types to make up an MMO community...

Just think about it - how many creatures have you run into where you said to yourself "if he did x in the middle of the fight it would be insane". With this it could happen.

At any rate, thanks for your input, guys. It's nice to see someone reads my crazy ideas (even if they don't agree with them.

Soulwalker

Well, just create more, I'd say the pace of which Trion have released content has been quite decent so far. RoS came with 1.1, GP with 1.2 and HK with 1.3 (might be a bit off with GP though, can't remember). Its not like we want them to copy paste content *cough* Blizzard *cough*, and see GSB again only with slightly better loot, and easier bosses because others couldn't manage to down the bosses when the content was fresh (I'm clearly not speaking about Naxxramas).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by f1NZ View Post
    Well, just create more, I'd say the pace of which Trion have released content has been quite decent so far. RoS came with 1.1, GP with 1.2 and HK with 1.3 (might be a bit off with GP though, can't remember). Its not like we want them to copy paste content *cough* Blizzard *cough*, and see GSB again only with slightly better loot, and easier bosses because others couldn't manage to down the bosses when the content was fresh (I'm clearly not speaking about Naxxramas).
    To clarify, I don't want copy/pasted content either...but a little unexpected surprise would be great. Working it into future content would be awesome, and tbh would set them apart from a lot of other MMOs. The entire point in making this post (aside from thinking I had a good idea) was to suggest something that would keep a game we all apparently love, interesting.

Rift Disciple

I love this idea.

I think it help with what you are saying, players complaining about the game being stale, and that the game isn't challenging. I think this would help.

Also, to address the bit about people who say they should just make more dungeons.. I agree as well thats fine, but the point I think would be to sort of, get more bang for your dev buck.

make 1 dungeon, have 3 outcomes for each boss multiple that by 8 bosses, you've got (well kinda)

24 different dungeons in one. This should be done.

Soulwalker

Sandpaper3 - that's pretty much what I'm saying - it adds to the experience, and gives you more varied challenges. It makes it harder for players to get bored quickly.

+ Reply to Thread